One of my old stories

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.::GoldenSky::.

Reaction score
Well, I was looking through my oldoldold school books, and I found this. Do you think I was a good writer? Or was I completely rubbish? (Yes, this is based off of Jane Eyre)

I remember my first day at Highridge School for Girls. I remember it like it was yesterday...

The first sight of Highridge was through a hole in the ragged blanket they carried me there in. My impression was of cold, dim rooms, countless stone corridors, and strict teachers. That was completely true. I was led into a pitch black dormitry, where I was put into a bed with a lumpy matress, and thin cotton sheets. The girl in the bed to my right smiled at me, then rolled over.

The next thing I knew, a loud bell awoke me. All of the girls in the room stood up smartly behind buckets, and I knew I had to follow suit. In the buckets were water, covered with a thick sheet of ice. The girls stomped on the ice to crack it, so I did the same. That was the water we washed in.

The meeting in the hall was dreadful. The headmaster's eyes scanned the room, until they rested on me.

"Jane Eyre," he bellowed, "Come here,"

The other girls gasped as I walked cautiously down the aisle the chairs made. I wondered what would happen to me, my heart pounding. I came to an abrupt halt.

"Jane Eyre is a liar," I remember him telling everyone. I was to stand on a stool with a sign around my neck, that said "Liar". I could not get down to eat, drink or do anything. However, Helen, the girl that was in the bed next to me, slipped a bun into my hand after lunch. Helen was my best friend, after that.

Then, one night, I woke up to find Helen's bed empty, with no pillow case, no blanket. I lit a candle, and descended the stairs. I found Helen crying, in the bed that they kept for sick girls. She was pale, and stone cold. I lay in the bed next to her, to keep her warm.

I recall drifting off to sleep, though it felt like no time had passed. I looked over to Helen. Her face was white, her eyes closed, and her arms were lain across her chest, in a cross. Someone picked me up, told me God had taken her. I cried for days.

So, what do you think? :3

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's really good. I spotted a few typos, but otherwise, It's really good. I like how it's short and straight forward, yet descriptive. I wish i could write like you ~~

Great job!! :3

It made me start to cry... that's probably because I tend to be an over-emotional idiot, but anyways enough about me. I thought it was quite lovely, full of pain and rare hope. But I do want to know why she was labeled a liar, and why Helen died. Don't leave me hanging = o

If you want to know, read Jane Eyre. We had to write a diary extract/flashback of her life at Highridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was rubbish!

NOT

That was fantastic! It's better than the novel I'm trying to write.

Latest posts

Back