Online Dating

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, online dating has a bad stigma surrounding it because of all of the stories that we've all heard about girls (and guys) getting into online relationships, and then when they meet up they're actually some psycho serial killer that has been pretending to be someone else.

But that's only a very, very small part of the online dating world. You're not going to see news coverage over every successful online relationship.

I don't see anything wrong with them, assuming of course both parties are legit. As somebody else said, some online relationships can be more real than some local relationships.
You summed it up perfectly, I think. Even though its a small part it is better to be safe than sorry, that goes for any relationship, online or local.

EMF, not trying to mean or anything, but i think you're taking this a liiiiiittle too personal..... We're not trying to bring you down at all, you misunderstand us.

Agreed on the local and online part. I've had the wool pulled over my eyes both online and local--people can be liars and jerks regardless of the situation. It's a dangerous world out there, and it pays to be cautious.

Ugh! I hate the direction this topic is going. I should have thought of this before I posted lol. I just think all the posts are going to be interfering with my personal love life. :angry:
Maybe it's not the "direction of the topic" that's upsetting you. It might just be that you are having to read about things and think about things in your relationship that you have not given serious thoughts to before.

Nothing posted here can interfere with your personal love life - assuming that you are in control of your own decisions. It is totally up to you whether you take note of any (well meant) advice from people who know you (and are clearly concerned about your safety).

Nothing posted here is any different from the usual online safety information and advice that appears all over the internet - or that is spoken about by adults/parents/teachers, etc. to young people in order to alert them to potential dangers associated with some online relationships.

Some of the opinions or suggestions posted are in response to what you yourself have posted in this topic (and in some cases also relate to what info you share about your personal relationship pretty much every day in TamaCHAT).

Asking to see a photo of a close online friend in a relationship like yours does not mean that you don't trust them and it is not weird. It's normal.

Not wanting to see a photo of a close online friend maybe shows that you are a little too trusting of others and in my own personal opinion, is a little unusual. Moreover, if your close online friend has not yet offered to show you a photo of themselves by now - or voice chat or skype, I have to admit that I find that unusual too - but it is just my honest opinion and not meant to sound harsh or mean.

You don't seem like a person who would meet an online friend face to face, alone, without a parent around (for safety), so what do your parents and family think about your relationship?

They don't know. :) I'm too...embarrassed...to tell. :unsure: I might tell them in a few years because I'm at the moment afraid they'll disapprove of the age difference. Anyway it's not like I'll meet him anytime soon... I actually feel sad a lot over the fact that I might not be able to be with him until like 5 years into the future. I just love him so much but I guess I'll have to wait haha :wub: The thing is, he understands me more than most of my other friends and I've told him a lot about my personal life I have never trusted anyone else enough to tell.

Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh in my previous posts, I was just in a bad mood at the time because of other reasons. <_< Anyway I appreciate your concern... I am a little stubborn sometimes but I know I'll be happy as long as I believe my BF is a loyal, honest person. >w<'

Last edited by a moderator:
Online relationships are just as real as any other relationship. Just because you can't see someone every day in person, that doesn't mean that your relationship with them isn't real. If online friendships can be real, so can online relationships! :)

The hardest part about online relationships, for me anyway, is planning a future together. I live in Illinois and my boyfriend lives in Alabama. We've thought about trying to move in together but neither of us really wants to move away from our families to a completely new state where it isn't guaranteed we'll find a job or even a house. I can't imagine how hard it is for a couple who live on opposite ends of the country or two different countries altogether.

We've kind of fallen into contentment with the fact we may only ever be able to see each other for a few weeks each year when we go to conventions together. Still, it's a little embarrassing to explain to less understanding folks that the person you wish to spend your life with isn't someone you can physically spend your life with.

The hardest part about online relationships, for me anyway, is planning a future together. I live in Illinois and my boyfriend lives in Alabama. We've thought about trying to move in together but neither of us really wants to move away from our families to a completely new state where it isn't guaranteed we'll find a job or even a house. I can't imagine how hard it is for a couple who live on opposite ends of the country or two different countries altogether.

We've kind of fallen into contentment with the fact we may only ever be able to see each other for a few weeks each year when we go to conventions together. Still, it's a little embarrassing to explain to less understanding folks that the person you wish to spend your life with isn't someone you can physically spend your life with.
I ran into the same issue. My first ex lives in Alabama actually. That's kinda creepy.... (I'm in Cali.) Second lives up north. The issues you point out is what has caused too much strain to where it's pretty much just.... complicated and dying out. It's very hard, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back