Panicking HARDCORE

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FullBlownWitch

Reaction score
Okay, so...

I've was just looking at a googled website to calculate Duty fees from Japan to Canada.

I've purchased my ID L, and am now regretting it, because the website says that the duty they'll expect from me is almost $60... I'm having a slight heart-attack. Already spent $70 on the ID L, and now I've gotta spend another $60?!?! This is heinous. It hurts. I can't believe this.

Have you guys had to pay the Duty fee on the ID L before??

I haven't paid the duty fee.

I got that exact id l from that exact seller.

I don't get why you would have to pay it.

Maybe you should cancel the order until you have enough money.

I know it sucks but its probably the best decision .

I haven't paid the duty fee.

I got that exact id l from that exact seller.

I don't get why you would have to pay it.

Maybe you should cancel the order until you have enough money.

I know it sucks but its probably the best decision .
In reality, I have the money, it's just a panic thing because it's in two different forms.. LOL one is on a prepaid visa, and the other is in my debit account...

And I'm freaking that if they show up at my door, they will ship it back to Japan if I can't pay it right there at the door.

As well as - I'm in Canada. I think the US and Japan have some sort of trade agreement where you don't have to pay duty.

And you're sure it's from the same buyer?

The post office I would assume hold onto your package until you sign/pay for it. I figure they have pay-plans to pay for custom shipping... but I'm not in Canada to know that. They will probably ask you to pay at the time of picking it up since it *could have customs cost. You can always go in before hand and ask if they have payment plans for recieving items from out of country... go from there.

As I said in your status, you could have purchased from a seller who may mark down the value of the item. (Lower value, Lower customs value/payment due) My IDL/Nano were both marked down from the seller... but they were both from Jason.

The post office I would assume hold onto your package until you sign/pay for it. I figure they have pay-plans to pay for custom shipping... but I'm not in Canada to know that. They will probably ask you to pay at the time of picking it up since it *could have customs cost. You can always go in before hand and ask if they have payment plans for recieving items from out of country... go from there.

As I said in your status, you could have purchased from a seller who may mark down the value of the item. (Lower value, Lower customs value/payment due) My IDL/Nano were both marked down from the seller... but they were both from Jason.
I would hope that this guy would do the same, but I just know that some eBay sellers don't give a crap that they've already gotten your money and therefore should do the nice thing and make it down so you're not spending even more- but mark it as what it technically is...

I think I may have just got caught up on the opportunity to get the ID L without hassle, and therefore hassle presented itself to me.

I live in the US and I've never had an issue with pay duties or taxes on imports through ebay. Though I do understand that some might not take care of that when they ship it, I have never had that happen. You could try contacting the seller to see if they made some sort of claim on the package? Cause I think when they write on that green sticker on the front that is what they are doing basically. If the seller says they aren't sure - stop by the post office maybe and ask someone there? They might be able to tell you what might be going on and how to handle it. I wouldn't panic, you'll just make yourself feel worse when you don't even know if there is an issue or not yet. :)

-Purn

Canada sucks now. I wanted to move their, but having to pay duty fees made me not want to live there anymore. US for the win! :D

Canada sucks now. I wanted to move their, but having to pay duty fees made me not want to live there anymore. US for the win! :D
You're charming.

Also - there is a huge chance I won't have to pay the duty fees - due to the fact that this guy isn't a company, and the item didn't cost hundreds of dollars.

Duty whaa--???

Well, at least it could've been more, right? :) Like, it could've been 100+ AND a duty fee. :)

The US is not exempt and has a $100 gift limit. For example, if I sent you an item from Canada (or any foreign country) valued over $100, you'd have to pay duties. US Customs would determine its value and base duties on that.

If the item was valued at less than $100 and listed as a GIFT, you would not have to pay duties. This is the only exceptIon. Even a $25 item, unless sent as a gift, you'd have to pay duties on.

The US is not exempt and has a $100 gift limit. For example, if I sent you an item from Canada (or any foreign country) valued over $100, you'd have to pay duties. US Customs would determine its value and base duties on that.

If the item was valued at less than $100 and listed as a GIFT, you would not have to pay duties. This is the only exceptIon. Even a $25 item, unless sent as a gift, you'd have to pay duties on.
Yeah, I emailed the seller and asked if he would mark it as a gift, or even just a $25 product as it would reduce the fees greatly. Never heard back from him on that though, so I am still a little panicky about the whole receiving process...

Yeah, I emailed the seller and asked if he would mark it as a gift, or even just a $25 product as it would reduce the fees greatly. Never heard back from him on that though, so I am still a little panicky about the whole receiving process...
It's possible the seller just shoved it in a bubble envelope and declared it as 'small electronic toy - $5' or something. I order crap from China all the time by regular post and it's no issue. A lot of it depends on how sadistic the border agents are feeling that day.

If for whatever reason you're charged customs, refuse the shipment and contact the seller. Unless you were warned before purchase of customs issues, you're entitled to your money back.

It's possible the seller just shoved it in a bubble envelope and declared it as 'small electronic toy - $5' or something. I order crap from China all the time by regular post and it's no issue. A lot of it depends on how sadistic the border agents are feeling that day.

If for whatever reason you're charged customs, refuse the shipment and contact the seller. Unless you were warned before purchase of customs issues, you're entitled to your money back.
Yeah, he says in the items that he's not responsible to any customs or duty fees, which is why I figured he was really anal and horrid about it. But other people that have ordered from him and it's apparently come through as a gift, or without any customs fees.

I just want to get my Tama without having any extra stress or foolishness.

Yeah, he says in the items that he's not responsible to any customs or duty fees, which is why I figured he was really anal and horrid about it. But other people that have ordered from him and it's apparently come through as a gift, or without any customs fees.

I just want to get my Tama without having any extra stress or foolishness.
I bought an iD about 6 months ago from ebay, shipped from japan, and didnt have to pay a cent over $65, aaand they delivered it to my door, so, idk why they wouldnt do the same for you, but, its Canada, so 'Eh :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back