People snickering

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Mametchi

Reaction score
I was out for a walk this afternoon, as always preoccupied in my own world :mimitchi: . As i passed the pharmacy, there a mass of people standing in a circle, and in the middle was a person with Down's Syndrome who was throwing a tantrum. Her story was, as i was told later, that she was angry about a doctor's appointment or something. She was lying face down on the pavement, snapping viciously at her caretakers' attempts to get her up. I really didn't have any time to stop - the book store closes early on Fridays. But all the people i saw around her were laughing and snickering shamelessly and overtly and at this poor individual, and i overheard someone whispering ..."Shouldn't be allowed out in public." Jeez, and I thought they had banned eugenics...

This woman was scared, and people were laughing. i was so upset. It sounds banal, but i never laugh or glare at people. it's just common courtesy. I didn't know people in my town were so mean and petty. i mean, there was a mob of people of all ages.

What would you have done?

If I'd known the person, I would have gone to try help her.

If not, I'm not sure. I certainly wouldn't be one of the people snickering, because I never laugh at someone unless they mean it to be a joke. I think it's just cruel what some people in this world are coming to.

A girl in my class found it funny when people with disabilities just burst out in a current of swear words. It's really not. And she sure ate her words back up since the girl who was sitting next to her at the time has a brother with disabilities. I was really mad at her, because it's not like they can help themselves, is it? Like the woman on the floor. Any one of those people could have been born with some problems. Those type of people disgust me, to be quite honest. :/

Wow I got passionate there. But it's all true.

EDIT: I just realised, if any one isn't quite clear, where I said 'those type of people disgust me', I mean the people that laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you should be making fun of people for something they can't help. I wouldn't laugh, I'd feel sorry for them. That's rude. You're right - it's common courtesy.

That's just plain disrespectful. :|

It's one thing to laugh at someone for being a "nerd" or a klutz, but it's completely and utterly disgusting when you laugh at someone with a mental disability.

I swear, my school is full of people who laugh at the poor kids / people with any types of disabilities. We actually share the school grounds with two disability schools (one for the blind, another for the mentally challenged and/or disabled kids). We're supposed to be a kind and friendly school that regularly involves the other two schools in our programs and such----pfft, we're the last thing from it.. I, personally, think it's despicable that people can actually be so inhumane to actually laugh at someone who did absolutely nothing wrong and just happens to have a mental disability or disorder. In my opinion, the people who make fun of them should be the ones that get laughed at.

People are meant to be all equal and no individual should be respected more than any other. I actually have had several disabled friends in my lifetime, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. To be honest, I think they were actually more fun and just better friends than some of the other people I've known. They also appreciated the little things in life, accepted any presents they get, and respected absolutely everyone around them.

So in my opinion, people like that should be respected as much as everybody else.

And no one should be laughed at for doing things that they can't really control.

Thats really terrible and disrespectful :|

If I was there, I would have stuck up for the poor girl. Laughing at a disability is a horrible thing. Monsters.

I really wonder what they would do if their positions were reversed.

Oh my god, that is really sad ^_^

I have a mental disability and I'm not going to go into details, but I would hate it to be laughed at for it...it's not an obvious disability so I just don't tell people, it's easier. But people who laugh at disabled people make me sick to be honest, they are just...cruel cruel people. :/

Many people suffer down syndrome. It's not particularly their fault. Anyway, under any circumstance, laughing completely immature.

-whoops; typo-

i HATE it when people think that they are better and start making fun of other people,

its just not right, :eek:

if the person was someone i know i would try to calm her down or something and just hope for the best

Eh, people are idiots.

Society has fallen and everyone has to blame.

People have no respect for anyone but themselves anymore.

This honestly doesn't surprise me. ;/

That's just plain mean of the people. I would glare at all of them and say, "Stop it. It's not funny." Then just walk away. I wouldn't get involved in any of it. That's just.. that's just horrible.

I remember my friend had a little sister with down's syndrome. She was 6, and she was really sweet. Anytime she would see me, she would say, "Kiss? Yes?" and then she would kiss me. She would do that with everyone she knew. She was really sweet.

Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of people at my school make fun of me and/or hate me, therefore almost making me depressed... D:

It's a good thing my one true love helped me out of the situation before things could get any worse. People still snicker at me though, just because they think I'm weird, and different. (Not with a disability, I don't have one.) They think, since I dress different, and think of things my own way, that they could make fun of me.

In fact, one time, they were putting me down so much, I became a very sad, scared, and quiet person. I wasn't a people person that much, and I barely spoke. People made fun of the way I talked, because I stammer a little when I don't know what to say or if I'm nervous. Then they laughed at me, spread rumors, tried to hit me with basketballs at gym. I could barely take it. Every night, I would cry in my room, wishing someone would care. Then the next year, I fell in love with the person who told me not to listen to the people who make fun of you, and pretend the aren't there. It was hard for me at first, but I started to handle it.

(Thank you to my crush, you make my day, when you make me laugh and stick up for me. ♥)

Those cruel people always need to humilate someone, I sob sob and sob all the time because of those cruel people. (Not going in details)

I would've shouted at those people "Why are you doing this? Laughing at someone's weakness? That makes you a heartless soul, and cruel too. You have no excuse."

i snicker all the time, not by making fun of someone just by laughing at something else. but dang thats just plain stupid laughing at someone! ;)

Same thing happened to me today.

A disabled man was in Wal-Mart today and he was being joyful, laughing and whatnot and some old lady said to another "You know, they should have a rule to those "people" in here"

I getting so angered i was going to say something but meh....didn't have the courage to do it =/

Making fun of anyone is wrong, disability or no disability. Being teased can really hurt someone deep inside. I was in Special Ed in school and got treated pretty badly for it. Not everyone is mentally disabled in those classes you know. I have a learning disability and that does not make me slow. That was wrong what those people did. It just shows how much of a low-life they are. I have a friend at my job who is mentally disabled, she is one of the nicest person there. I do not base friendship on disabilities but on what I see in that person.

I feel sorry for those people.

Every time I think about those people, I sob.

It's not their fault really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back