Plot first?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaffeeklatschgirl3

Reaction score
Hey, l'm writing a book, and l have an idea on characters, and l somewhat know the problem. But what about the plot? Should l come up with how the whole thing up to the ending first or just see how it goes and... how should l put it? Let the characters decide?

I think that all comes down to personal style. I have never written anything where I have decided the plot before I write. I generally have an idea of a character I want and see how it goes from there. Some people may find it more helpful to have an idea of the direction of the story before they sit down and start writing though.

Whatever works for you. I say just go with the flow and decide as you go along. You know your characters, let them develop and tell the story.

If you want to create a story with some substance and meaning you really should have some kind of plot outlined in your mind :D

Otherwise, the story can meander around aimlessly and be too slow for some - or too fast for others. The danger is you end up putting too much detail in for your own personal enjoyment and forget that stories are read by someone else who may want to know different things about your characters and what's going to happen... Every reader wants to enjoy the book ;)

Think about books you have read recently by established authors and look at how their plot develops.

I'm not suggesting you should copy of course, but if you review a good book and summarise for yourself how the story is structured, you will begin to get a feel for how a good plot works for the reader.

Good Luck :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back