Question about "Versions"

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phnx0313

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed...

After a few weeks of looking through the site as a Guest I have finally joined.

Currently I am starting/continuing my own Tama collection, however I am not sure of the different "versions"... especially when pictures are involved.

(Example:: I read another thread where someone asked the difference between a P1 and P2... Difference is background.)

What about V1 and V2?

V3 has the little antenna and most of the following have big antenna with dot, roof or star.

Does the v6 (Music Star) have no antenna... similar to v1/v2?

Is there a sticky thread for this? Sorry if my questions seem "idiotic." -_____-;;

~Phnx

Not at all! Firstly, welcome! I was a lurker way back when too before I finally made an account. :) Glad you decided to join us! You're right about the P1/P2 and backgrounds. Plus, they're obviously not Connections because they don't have an infrared port. I won't get into the other vintage Tamagotchis (unless you're curious) because it's easy telling the difference between, say, an Angelgotchi/Tamagotchi Angel, Devilgotchi, Morino, and so on. It's a little more difficult to tell the difference between a V1 and V2. However, when you start training yourself with a Tamagotchi eye (not hard to do, especially after hanging around here for a while!), :D you'll find that it's not so bad after all! True, V1s and V2s (V6s too, yes, but more on that later) don't have antennas, but V1s typically have simpler shell designs than V2s. When I say simpler, I mean that they usually have just solid color shell designs, whereas a V2 might have a solid color shell plus a simple pattern on it. You eventually sort of memorize which ones are which after a while. If you want to know for sure if it's a V1 or V2, you'd have to look at what sort of games are on the Tamagotchi in question when you receive it. A V1 is the simplest out of the Connections and has only two games. A V2 has up to four games (as your Tamagotchi evolves, more games are unlocked). You're right about the V3 and its little antenna. A V4 has the ball antenna, V4.5s have the star antenna and V5s have the roof antenna. The V6/Music Star doesn't have an antenna but the shell designs are usually super-extravagant (relative to V1s/V2s), with lots of color and typically have some sort of music design on it (music notes, microphone, treble clef, etc.). You might see that it comes with a faux guitar pick also (especially if you buy it in-package). I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Thank you for your response! You have cleared my troubled mind. <3

I already knew main difference between some vintages as I had many of them LONG ago.

Including P1s, P2s, Angel, Devil and Ocean. Also looked into Morino as I remember waiting for Garden.

It was just the newer "connection" ones I had no idea about.

I was confused because I have seen sales for "Music Stars, some with antenna and some without. I suppose they are mislabel.

Also V1 and V2... Now I understand it is not easy to tell which by sight alone.

I noticed Deka has a heart on the "forehead area."

EnTama = v4

Uratama = v4.5

Would this be correct also?

I would ask about the ID, Color... etc, but it is too soon to add that egg in the pot.

~Phnx

The EnTama and UraTama are basically Japanese versions. English versions went V1, V2, V3, V4, etc, where as Japanese versions went Plus (same as our Connection V1), Keitai, Akai, EnTama, UraTama etc. After the Plus / V1 Connection, Japanese vs/ English Tamagotchis haven’t been the same, so you can’t say that V4 = EnTama. For example, the Keitai can connect to Japanese mobile phones, and the “equivilant” English version can’t. The feature sets are similar in some cases, but different in others. In the same way, you can’t say that the Color/ID = the Tamago. :)

As for Color and ID, they are Japanese. Both have colour screens which is a really, really nice feature (and a long time coming :p ). There is a really good TMGC+C guide here: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/index.php?showtopic=157709 It gives you detailed info on the Color. See here for good iD info: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/index.php?showtopic=163252, and a quick guide here: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/index.php?showtopic=165502

Visually, an iD has a “crystal (click here)” appearance, where as the Color is more “simple” in its colour designs. :)

As a sidenote, welcome to TamaTalk! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
For Entama and Uratama (actually, whole topic) I am currently asking cosmetically... more importantly, the antenna.

Do the antenna on those Japanese version correspond to the English version?

I understand Japanese and English versions have differences in gameplay.

I think it is more fun to play with both Japanese/English Tama to understand game difference.

However, buying online is mostly sight since many people seem to have not played with the game they are selling.

(Then again... It is probably me because I do not understand the Connexion Tama Series very well yet.)

Sadly, Color and ID are too a little advanced for me at this point.

Perhaps after I pick up my V3, v6 and have played with them a bit.

Thank you for your response, though.

I will be sure to return to this topic and read the links when the time comes.

Also thank you for the welcome. ^3^

~Phnx

To add on to jappyx's helpful post, an Entama does look very similar to a V4 and the Uratama looks similar to the V4.5 ("shape"-wise, but there are usually differences between the American and Japanese shell designs), but there are game play and character differences. You were asking about the general look when making the "equivalent" comparisons, right? Regarding the Deka: don't know if you've seen these yet, but you can tell the Deka from others also by its sheer size. Check it out!

Compare.jpg
Compare2.jpg

EDIT: Ooo, I see. You ARE asking about the look. Looks like you've got it down pat. :) You're right, the antennas do correspond.

Oh wow... the Deka!! It looks like an egg shape television! o.o

One Deka has an Antenna and the other does not... *facepalm*

(That is the Angel color I desire. It looks so very minuscule next to the monster egg.)

Thank you for reading between the questions OSTama. Did not realize how unclear I have been.

I feel better now that I am picking up the Tama exteriors. (Your confirmation prompted me to dance.)

In the second photo... the dark one (number 3 from vintage) it has a funny shape?

In case this a test let's attempt...

P1/P2 (BG Check)... V1/V2 (Game Check)... *Funny Shape Tama*... V4.5... V5... Deka.

I hope to pass this (possible) quiz. >.>

~Phnx

LOL, I know, it can all be very confusing. :p Believe it or not, there's also a Deka version that has the ball antenna, more on that in a bit. I don't know very much about the Dekas, but from my understanding based on cosmetics and what I've read, the ones without antennas are what were known as "in-store" Dekas. They were not for sale to the public but were available on display in department stores, restaurants, and other public places so that people could come, connect a compatible Tamagotchi they own, play games, and receive items and points. There are four versions: Lotteria (white and pink trim, if I remember correctly), Tamatama Market (that's the orange one with no antenna shown above), Game Station/Center (this one is red), and Jukutama (white and blue trim), each with their own unique shell design (so you don't have to worry about one version having something like 20 different shell designs like a P2 does, for instance). Then there are the "home" Dekas. It appears to me, based on the pictures above, that the home Dekas aren't as big as the store Dekas. Two versions of the home Deka came out. The first one looks like a huge Keitai (has the small antenna) and comes in two colors (blue, as seen above, and green). The second version looks like a huge Entama and comes in one design, as seen HERE.

The weirdly-shaped one is called a TamaWalkie. It's a pedometer. It's supposed to look like a UFO. Here's some background INFO on it.

I'd say you did a pretty good job on your quiz (I didn't mean to quiz you, by the way, I just thought it was a good size-comparison picture :D )! Don't worry, after a while, you won't be doomed to having to closely inspect a Tamagotchi to figure out the version. For example, P1s don't normally say "Tamagotchi" on top of the shell, so you can just quickly glance at the P1/P2 in the picture and go, AHA! I know that's a P1. I really love THIS site. It's been around for quite some time and has a lot of valuable information on the vintages (including THIS page on the differences between a P1 and P2, if you're curious). Looks like you're getting the hang of it already!

Yeah, the yellow Tamagotchi Angel is a great design to have, especially since they're so rare. Getting a Tamagotchi Angel is already hard enough, as they are often more expensive than their Japanese counterparts (the Angelgotchi). Dekas are pretty rare and are pricey as well. Good luck on building your collection and as always, we'll be around if you have more questions! :)

Thank you! I can see the size of mini too in this photo.

I wonder if Mini and Nano are same size.

(Your collection is adorable, especially the Yellow Star V3 and Firey V4.5)

I wonder... do the screens all look different too?

Like how the P1/P2 background are different... is V1/V2 background different also?

After that... I would look at antenna, but I am curious about the screens too.

Especially screens from Entama and Uratama. o.o

~Phnx

The mini/chibi and nano are relatively the same size but the nano is thicker, most likely to accommodate the bigger batteries. There's a picture HERE by binary. I'd probably stick to antennas as the one of the prime indicators of the version. Screen backgrounds after the vintage Tamagotchis can get a little confusing because there are more than likely a couple of types for each version. Also, you can't always see what the background is, especially if you're looking to buy online. I think V1s and V2s have the same types of backgrounds. They both have either the background with the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, or a big heart. You can see them in the following picture of my V1s:

IMG_2456.jpg

Entamas have a couple of different backgrounds as well, seen HERE. Uratamas have a rainbow in the background. I'm not sure if there are any others.

Ahh I see. Thank you once again OSTama!

I quite like the Entama screens.

So for V1/V2 the games are the best way to tell.

That makes me a bit sad because I do not think Young Mametchi is on V1.

This changes my wishlist a bit.

I want two of one same version Tama with him as a character.

Which version has Young Mametchi and would be good at baby-making/generation?

I am thinking I want two V3 now instead of hoping for two V2.

~Phnx

Well, the V1 does have young Mimitchi, which looks kind of similar to what you have in your avatar, actually. The V2 does have young Mametchi. I think all the Connections besides V1, V5, V6, and the TMGO, have some form of young Mametchi. There are character charts HERE in case you'd like to see which versions have which characters.

After looking at those chart I have decided it is time to look into C+Color version.

It looks like the only one I can play and never worry about growth manipulation.

Just to make sure... It can connect to another C+Color and make babies by the infrared on top, right?

And hexagontchi is the same but with extra hexagon shape room?

If so I will order two C+C right after Christmas time. ^^;;

~Phnx

Just curious: what do you mean by growth manipulation? I would think that you can manipulate any Tamagotchi into growing faster, provided that you can change the time and make it stay awake for more hours (which you can do on the TMGC+C).

The +C can connect, and mate, with other +Cs. Here's a great GUIDE for the +C. +Cs are a bit pricey though. They typically go anywhere from $50-60, often times not including overseas shipping. This is the reason why I've been holding off on buying another one...having one for now is quite satisfying!

From my understanding, the Hexagontchi is pretty similar to the +C. It's based off of a Japanese game show. The object of the game on the Hexagon is to answer quiz questions correctly in order to get all the happy sign items. Hexagons are less expensive than +Cs and IDs but there's one caveat: this is where knowing how to read Japanese comes to your advantage (typically, we always tell people that one doesn't need to know any Japanese to be able to play with or understand any of the Japanese Tamagotchis, which is true in almost all cases) because the questions and answers are written in Japanese and so you'd have to guess at the answer if you don't know the language. Other than that, I have heard a few people mention how they enjoy it all the same.

By growth manipulation I mean the amount and type of care needed to get a certain character.

That was the first term that made sense to me... so I used it. Sorry. Is there a better term?

Sounds like I will be getting two C+C instead of V1-V5. (I may still pick up something later our of curiosity for schoo/job.)

I will get a C+C first... I have a feeling the hexagontchi uses all hiragana and not kanji in those questions.

Depending on how things go with C+C (and if I am taking classes next semester) I might get Hexagontchi as second one since they are cheaper and so many classmates take Japanese.

(For Confirmation... Hexagontchi only comes in red/white, right?)

We will see after Christmas.

~Phnx

Hopefully this stays open. I am looking into Deka also, but at some point I might ask questions in hopes that someone who owns can help verify things.

Ohhhh, I see! No, that's fine, I was just wondering. So you'd prefer something low-maintenance with all the characters you enjoy, right? It's good that you're picking the +C then. You only have to worry about care misses influencing which character you get, rather than on how often the happiness and hunger hearts empty and things like this. I hope you do get to try out V1-V6, and maybe even the TMGO, someday! I'm more of a vintage kind of person (as you can probably tell by my user name :D ), but there are definitely things from each Connection version that I enjoy.

The Hexagontchi does only come in red and white. There's also a picture of a hexagon-shaped character at the top of the screen.

This thread will probably still be open after Christmas if you still have questions about the Deka versions (have you seen my November 16th post about Dekas above? :) ). As long as it's not past 3 months after last posting in it, you should be okay. You're always welcome to start a new thread as well, especially if your future questions don't pertain to versions anymore.

Thank you! I can see the size of mini too in this photo.

I wonder if Mini and Nano are same size.

(Your collection is adorable, especially the Yellow Star V3 and Firey V4.5)

I wonder... do the screens all look different too?

Like how the P1/P2 background are different... is V1/V2 background different also?

After that... I would look at antenna, but I am curious about the screens too.

Especially screens from Entama and Uratama. o.o

~Phnx
You're welcome! :)

(It's just a small part of my collection, but those are some of my favourites. X3)

My V1s and V2 do have the same backgrounds.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/mintydreams7/tamagotchi/tamascreens.png

Here's another picture, this time showing the different backgrounds.

Connexxion (European version), V1, V2, V1.

As you can see, the screens mean pretty much nothing to the version. XD

So yes, the best way to tell a V1 from a V2 is to put in a battery and play the game.

V1 has Dance and Jump.

V2 has Jump, Bump, Heading and Slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back