Relationship/Love/Etc Advice

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haleyhashats

Reaction score
Alright, normally, I wouldn't be shouting out my problems to the internet, however, I decided to share. So, there's this guy. Anyways, I've known him for about six months now, and in those six months, we've become really close friends! So that's great. I'm friends with his friends and vice versa. Anyways, I started liking him after we'd been friends for around two months, meaning I've liked him now for close to around four months. So, all of my close friends know that I like him, and they encourage this - saying stuff about how he likes me back and all this other stuff. However, one of my close friends (we'll call her Strawberry), is trying to be honest with me, because she liked this same guy last year - and things didn't exactly work out. So she tells me about how he might like me, because that's what it looks like - with how he acts around me - but he also might not. Because that's how he acts around all girls, for the majority.

Just so I can add now, most of his friends are girls. But, he isn't what we would classify as a 'player'. He's more or less just pretty passively flirtatious or just over confident around girls. But, he's not a player, no. Ha ha... ;)

Now, another close friend of mine (let's call her Tfan) says how he definitely likes me back and how there's no doubting it.

-----------------------------------

I'm going to add a little important part to this story now, because I think it's pretty important. Alright, so for awhile, the guy that I like started acting more distant / cold? It was around the time when I had told my friends who I liked (which was him) and the only reason I know none of them would tell him, is because they know the risks and they don't want me to get hurt. And no, I'm not just saying that because they're my friends - but because I actually believe this. Anyways, he was acting really strange and it was sort of confusing all of us. However, the guy I like isn't exactly the type of person who's going to be okay with everything, he get's uncomfortable and is really reserved / shy when he wants to be. So it wasn't unusual behavior, but looking at what was going on around that time, and how he started acting like that and it stopped only after fake information was leaked, made us all sort of confused, for lack of a better word.

Then during lunch one day (since I'm close with this guy, and we're in the same group of friends, we all sit together at lunch), one of my friends (we can call her Apples) was talking about something that happened a few months back, sort of hinting at the fact that she thought I liked him (I didn't Apples that I liked him, mainly because ... she's not the best at keeping secrets. Don't get me wrong, I love her and all, she's great. But, I don't want to tell her and then have her turn around and tell him ...). So, Tfan thought on the spot and made up a lie. Or, more so, a fake crush. She created an entire persona for this 'crush' that I have. This persona, who pretty much is the guy I like with name changes, appearance changes, and just a few personality tweaks. So, she told them that I didn't have a crush on the guy I actually do like, because there's this other guy (the fake one).

Now, after she told him this, not only has he been a whole lot nicer to me, but it seems we've gotten closer. And whenever this fake guy's name is brought up, he gets unusually quiet and doesn't talk until we switch subjects. This could just mean that he's uncomfortable, but my friend is convinced it's jealousy. I tend to think otherwise. But that may just be me on the inside trying not to get my hopes up.

Now, going forward, he's been asked once if he liked me before, and he said no, but quickly changed subjects. And when asked by a different person if he would go out with me (this person wasn't asking him out for me, they were just asking *if*) and instead of giving a straight answer, he just said he didn't want to jeopardize our friendship, since we're so close. I didn't prompt my friends to ask him either of those questions, they were done at their own free will.

And just recently (Jan.20, 2012), we played a game of 'zombie' tag (it's a game the kids on my street made up, maybe I'll post the rules one day!). The game consisted of me, two of my close friends (Strawberry and Tfan), the guy I like, and some kids on my street. We split into alliances, and Strawberry & Tfan formed one, so me and the guy I like formed one too. It wasn't awkward, because we're both close friends. But that night was the nicest he's ever been to me, it kind of scared me! But in a good way. We just walked around talking, and ran whenever we saw someone. He tripped on the ground, but said he was just checking to see if the ground was stable. So we ended up stomping all around, checking to see if the ground was stable. For the most part though, we were talking about random nothingness, teasing each other, and making jokes.

Okay, I've think I've written too much, and that I've probably written your eyes out...? Anyways, so do you have any advice? Do you think he likes me? He gives mixed signals and sometimes it seems like he really does, honestly. And I'm not just saying that to make myself happy, I mean it. But other times, it's the complete opposite. So I'm quite confused, actually. Any help, any help AT ALL is appreciated. I think he may like me back, but I don't know, because of how he had been acting weird. However, the way he acts, you can only understand if you meet him. Writing it down makes it sound much worse than it was, but there's no other way to portray it. Sorry on my part. I've been trying not to get my hopes up, but recently, I can't help it.

So, advice? Anything helps me. Please give me your thoughts / opinions / advice / etc. Do you think he likes me back? Or am I just getting my hopes up? Thank you for any help. This was really hard for me, too, because usually I keep stuff like this to myself or close friends, but I really wanted advice. Because I want to know what to do. I really like this guy, not just because I find him good-looking, but because we sort of understand each other. Ha ha, that sounded corny. But really, I'm not lying. We can just look at each other when someone else says something, and it's like we were thinking the same thing. I find it funny. But yeah. Advice, please. Help. Thank you <3

From everything you've posted, it kind of seems to me as if he really likes you as a friend, but doesn't want to jeopardise the friendship by having a romantic relationship with you. He sounds like a nice enough guy but if he really liked you enough to crush on you and want to ask you out, don't you think it's possible he would have asked by now - after all, your friendship is close and he's not a "player".

If he quietens down when this other fake guy friend of yours is mentioned, maybe he's not jealous, maybe he is secretly relieved that he can just be your friend without any pressure on taking the relationship forward to a romance?

Guys don't think or react the same way girls do - so it's kind of difficult to try to put yourself in his shoes and then imagine what you would do because it's probably different to what he'd do anyway!

Sounds like a really difficult situation for you and I really hope it works out well for you - but just remember, right now you do have a really good guy friend and maybe that's the best thing - friendships usually last a lot longer than romances. Anyway, good luck with it all :>)

Thanks for the advice, TamaMum :)

"don't you think it's possible he would have asked by now - after all, your friendship is close and he's not a "player"."

Well....no. Not exactly, see, he's not exactly the most brave guy in the world, so he wouldn't do that. He was good friends with this girl he had a crush on for about two years, and he got over her last year. Yet he never asked her out.

But, thank you! ^^ The advice is very helpful nonetheless:)

Perhaps, since the two of you are already close friends, that you need to hang out with one another and not have the influence of your other friends around. Just some time that the two of you can talk, have fun and perhaps get to a point that you can openly discuss feelings without the pressure of being careful what you do/say around other people.

It sounds to me like, secretly you are both actually feeling the same way about one another, but are afraid to tell the other. When girls like a guy, they usually immediately tell their girlfriends, whereas guys tend to keep it in a bit (depending on age) because they don't want their friends to tease or make fun of them.

Having some one on one time enables you to see a person for who they really are, and people tend to be more real versus when they are in a crowd of people and put up a front. Just be real with each other and have fun, no matter what, a friend is better to have than nothing at all.

I wish you the best of luck, it seems the two of you would make a cute pair ;)

HF☼

Thank you for the advice HippyFish:) It was helpful. We talked on the phone for a bit today, multiple times, haha. xD

But I shall take your advice into consideration, I'll see if we might be able to hang out sometime. :)

@ Nazotchi25: LOL, sorry :)

@ haleyhashats: Everything will work out the way it is supposed to... keep us posted and let us know what happens! That's great that you guys are chatting on the phone, it's another personal one on one way to focus on each other... good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back