Selling Your Tamagotchi Collection :(

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CuteLilChibiTama<3

Reaction score
Hey there guys :angry: Its ChibiTama here again :)

Ok so here's my story. I recently got my green-slip in the mail *sigh*

All up I have to pay the following amounts:

Green-slip: $512

Rego: $220

Pink-slip: $110

Ok I do have some money in my savings, but it seems unfair that I have to use [SIZE=14pt]ALL[/SIZE] of it to pay for a car that only gets me from A to B

Heres the thing. As you all know, i collect Tamas. And my collection mainly consists of [SIZE=14pt]VERY RARE[/SIZE] Gotchis. Well I am a bargain hunter, and most of my Tamas that i bought for around $20, i could sell for $110+. So I decided to price my collection with the help of my partner, by comparing prices on eBay and other sites. We found out that if i sold my entire collection, I can stand to make a little over $3500.

Well this would solve [SIZE=14pt]ALL[/SIZE] of my money problems... But i just could not bring myself to do it.. I kept going over and over it in my head... and found I just could not part with something I had spent years trying to collect.

So instead I got a credit card with a $1500 limit, with 6 months interest free, and when I get my tax check (next month) I'm paying it off, then cutting up the card and canceling it.

So my question is, would you be able to part with your collection for any reason :angry: ?

You're not alone in this situation. I recently bought a $70 Devilgotchi and a $20 TamaOtch from someone I know from the Yahoo virtual pets mailing list group. She seriously has an impressive collection, at LEAST 100 VPs, not including all the accessories. She has put her dear collection up for sale because she has medical bills to pay. I know others in the same predicament and I feel you. You've been spending all your time, carefully curating a great collection of rarities. It would be hard for anyone to part with such a thing. Personally, and at this point, I would not be able to part with my collection but it's because I have the means to keep it. Especially when I was younger, my parents worried that I would not focus on my studies because of my hobby of collecting Tamagotchis, and I shared their concerns. Because of this, I adopted a philosophy: anything done would be better if done in moderation, and if it starts to interfere with your life in any way negatively, you know it's not healthy. I'm not trying to knock on you in any way, don't get me wrong. :lol: I would be able to part with my collection for a reason and that reason takes the form of your situation. If I were in your situation now, I'd try and let go so that I could take care of the things that need immediate attention. I would be thinking what you're thinking. When will I ever find such a bargain again? Will I ever get my collection back to the way it was? I believe so. Just my two cents. :D

I really do see what your saying :lol: . I just don't have it in me. I make a generous living (35 grand a year) and money has never been an issue for me up until now. Me and my partner have moved and its cost ALOT of money. I still have money in my savings account (about 2 grand). But my point is i HARDLY use my car, and there would be things that deserve the money much more (food, furniture, bills). So i thought for me, personally, a credit card for a couple of month would be the way to go. I'm not easily able to detach myself from things, i get quite sentimental. So for me, starting something like my collection, when i was just 6 years old, to now when I'm almost 20, would be (for me at least) an impossible task. Sure they are just little digital things. But i would be the same way whether it would be say Stamps/dolls/figurines. Having some rare jewels from my childhood, kind of gives me peace of mind. Its like little pieces of me. I hope that makes sense :D

I see where your coming from, that if the ends (paying my bills) justify the means (selling my collection) that it would be the "rational" or "smart" thing to do. And i know that they are (in most cases) always "physically" replaceable. But its the memories that are attached to them, and the effort i put in that's hard to give up. Like the way we might hold on to a childhood blanket or toy. Kind of like a security blanket :p

(btw: your very insightful :p )

I think it was be easy to part with some of my Tamagotchis that dont have very much sentimental value. I think everyone is on the same boat, when I say I wouldnt part with my first Tamagotchi.

Thanks! You're pretty insightful too. It does make sense. I completely know what you're talking about. I love these things from my childhood which hold sentimental value...it would be hard to give them up. I'm like you. I got into VPs in general at a really young age and got my first Tamagotchi in '98 when I was about 11. Years later, at 22, they still hold the same meaning.

I don't think I could sell any of my tamas. I'd been tossing around the idea of selling a couple of my digimon pedometers, but I just couldn't because a friend gave me those. I only sold one virtual pet so far and it's because it irritated me beyond belief. It was my WAV UFO. The thing chirped so incessantly because of the wireless internet in my house and I couldn't take it anymore.

I've been saying, mostly in jest, that I'll keep my tamas until I die and have them auctioned off in my will and the profits donated to researching whatever disease I died from.

There are some virtual pets in my collection that have too much sentimental value for me to ever sell. My Digimons, my Tamagotchi Angel and my very first Tamagotchi are among those.

But I probably wouldn't mind selling other ones which I've gotten from second hand stores and yard sales. They do have value to me, but it's nothing compared to the v-pets that I grew up with and have loved and played with for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back