Starting To Think My Elders Are Right...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoria

Reaction score
Today I was sitting in class and we were discussing thermometres. When the teacher introduced it, (I'm in grade 5) half the class didn't know. I thought that was odd, we learned about thermometres in grade 2...

I asked why they didn't know what it was, because we had notes to study prior to this class. Each studen't answer was either: "I was too busy playing my video game" or "It's stupid, I just wanna go watch TV".

I mean, really. I think alot of this generation is too submerged in TV and Video games to study. What ever happened to reading a book, anyways? Reading a book in my school is like, a disgrace. It automatically makes you a nerd, I guess.

Anyone else's school like this/do you agree? I mean, I know, technology has changed, but really. I'm not talking about everyone, but quite a few people...

I believe this (<<<8th grade, reads an average of 4 books over 200 pages a week)

Ill be reading in class and kids will be like, 'you read? that's stupid.'

or

'You read? Dang, that's so old school."

"Get a life."

I tell them I don't watch TV (I. Don't. Watch. TV)

And they stair at me like I have seven eyes and proboscis.

In my school, we read a LOT. Therefore, we can remember things without studing. Although, I still do study and so do some others. Our rules are pretty strict too.

I believe this (<<<8th grade, reads an average of 4 books over 200 pages a week)
Ill be reading in class and kids will be like, 'you read? that's stupid.'

or

'You read? Dang, that's so old school."

"Get a life."

I tell them I don't watch TV (I. Don't. Watch. TV)

And they stair at me like I have seven eyes and proboscis.
I don't watch TV either. xD Prettymuch the same thing with me. I bring a book to school and finish it in a week (say 700 pages) and they think I'm some alien. o.o

It's amusing when people tell me/big readers and stuff to get a life. Even if both people study but one reads and one dosent, the one that reads would probably be alot smarter. They need to get their butt off the couch and play outside or read or write... do something creative. o.o

littlechibikiki, I wish I could go to your school. xD

And Tamachick, in my school we don't read much so they hand us like, a page to study each night. Most of my class has the IQ of a stick bug. ><

A lot of people I know think reading sucks, but based on observation they're not very smart, like getting bad grades and stuff.

I love reading, but don't get made of about it. I guess cause I'm friends with all them.

at my school...being smart makes you unsocialable...and only other smart poeple talk to you i am in the nerdiest things: TSA (go to www.tsaweb.org to find out more), forensics, i enjoy math-civics-reading-english-science, and i like to read but i am also a techno geek i LOVE computers and cellphones and ipods and all that fn stuff so call me a geek but I DONT CARE! HAhHAHAHAHHAHAhHAhah :rolleyes:

I think there will always be an excuse not to do work. It's our nature I suppose. xp

Meh, reading is okay I guess, depending on the book of course. For me anyway. If someone likes to read, no one cares in highschool.

Err...

I don't read in school anymore. x_x I get called a nerd if I do.

People in my class NEVER read. NEVER. Everybody hates reading, except for me. But I am practically forced not to if I want to fit in with the social circle.

I can't help it if I liked going on the computer. xP I know I should study more and put more effort into my homework but.....it's hard, sometimes. We all get stressed and want to take a break from it all.

I often read, and I do have friends at my school who read plenty, and many other people who wouldn't read a book to save their lives and simply visit a page like https://www.elrincondelvago.com (website that provides summaries, answers to exams etc) to do the work for them.

Still, the people who read will get more out of it, so I don't think it is a reason to be ashamed of. I think my class has got over the fact I am clever, and just ask the title of the book I'm reading if I am reading in class.

Right now I am reading the Joy-Luck Club (a Chinese novel - quite good actually!) and then I will move onto How to Kill a Mocking Bird. Also have to read the two books we will be tested on (school makes us read a couple of books per term in each subject, so some people are forced to read anyway xD).

As for myself, I don't watch TV much, but I do spend a lot of time on the Internet. I always do my homework and studying first though to make sure I do it.

Err...I don't read in school anymore. x_x I get called a nerd if I do.

People in my class NEVER read. NEVER. Everybody hates reading, except for me. But I am practically forced not to if I want to fit in with the social circle.

I can't help it if I liked going on the computer. xP I know I should study more and put more effort into my homework but.....it's hard, sometimes. We all get stressed and want to take a break from it all.
Why would you want to stop looking smart by reading just to fit in? If your friends don't like you for your reading self, there not friends. Who cares what they say about you? I've been called a nerd, and I ignore it and hang out with friends.

At my school you get made fun of for being stupid.
Lol, that's pretty interesting..Never heard of that

People at my school ( I'm in 8th grade ) don't really care if you like to read or not. And usally people don't really watch T.V. that much anymore in my school. Well at least the 8th graders. They are all connected to 'MySpace'

I don't even have one :D

-NINJA

Don't forget being submerged in the Internet! :D

People in my class don't care if you read or not. Not even my Teacher cares if you have an IQ of a rock. I am so ready to move out of the Class...the Teacher sucks. I mean, a CLASSMATE of mine leads Math Class sometimes. It's sick.

No kidding. This generation is a group of video and computer maniacs. -so said the computer geek-

But, I mean, theres using the computer for like, World of Warcrack, and then theres being a computer geek/wiz. :mametchi: Just, "I was watching TV." Is a horrible excuse, and those type of excuses should be shot. [Not the people, the excuses. I'm not a murderer.]

I often read, and I do have friends at my school who read plenty, and many other people who wouldn't read a book to save their lives and simply visit a page like https://www.elrincondelvago.com (website that provides summaries, answers to exams etc) to do the work for them.
Still, the people who read will get more out of it, so I don't think it is a reason to be ashamed of. I think my class has got over the fact I am clever, and just ask the title of the book I'm reading if I am reading in class.

Right now I am reading the Joy-Luck Club (a Chinese novel - quite good actually!) and then I will move onto How to Kill a Mocking Bird. Also have to read the two books we will be tested on (school makes us read a couple of books per term in each subject, so some people are forced to read anyway xD).

As for myself, I don't watch TV much, but I do spend a lot of time on the Internet. I always do my homework and studying first though to make sure I do it.
Oooh. To Kill A Mockingbird was a really good book. My fiend didn't like it, but I did. Maybe because I like books about trial cases and all.

Anyways:

I read a lot. In my school, everyone is very competetive. My city was ranked 2nd, in some average, for best education...out of every city in the US.

Maybe that's why. But reading, getting good grades, these matter to most at my school. But at my old school, if you read, or say, played an instrmument, you were looked down upon. But not over here.

I absolutely cannot live without my laptop, cell-phone, and TV. But, I still get straight A's. I work as hard as I can, but of course I gotta have time to goof-off and just chill.

I hate how some people stereotype/hate me just because I get A's... But the people who do that usually get straight F's so I really don't care. I also have friends that have really... Poor grades, but they are still my besties!

ha ha its like the opisite at my school, all of the popular ppl are really smart and all the nerds dont no squat :(

I read sooo much! I think the best book I read so far was the 5th Harry Potter. I am so competetive. My friend she is on the 7th Harry Potter book. And she finished the 6th one in a week!! I'm trying to get up to her level!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back