Tamagotchi Addicts Anonymous

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied for the full-time position. I hope I get it.
I have a ton of classes so I'm only applying for part-time. But if I ever get it I'll have a steady income and the actual ability to buy Tamagotchis without suffering a net loss.

I'm almost done with college. Once I finish my classes this semester. I only have one class left.

My name is Kayori, and I'm a tama addict. In the process of using my persuasion skills to land me an Anniversary M!X, New dream town, music star, iDL, and a phone with IR. Send help. :mellow: :(

Hi, I'm Keriasyn. While I still don't have any Tamas in my possession I did buy three out of nowhere yesterday. Adding it all to my Digimon V-Pets I've bought since late January it has all added up to 626.64. Please send help.

Here, let me give you all some tips I've learned from my other money-driven hobby, doll collecting. In regards to that hobby, buying Tamagotchi is mainly a distraction :p

~Principals of Prevention~

Firmly accept these principals and you will have the willpower to halt your addiction. You need to convince you mind to stop telling you to buy and thus to do so remember...

1. There is always more to buy.

One big cause of buying more is urgency. One might feel, "If I don't buy ... I'll never see this product again" or "If I don't buy ... I'll never come across such a great deal ever again". Coming from this reasoning is the concept that "If I don't buy, I am missing out". Missing out on what? Missing out on joy that comes now, now, now. Joy does not come from one source alone, and is joy is not permanent. The first is proven by how one has experienced joy outside of buying (you can surely think of some!) and the second by how certain happy times have faded to grey memories. Yet despite the lack of permanence, joy does reoccur because it is not dependent on one source.

There is always more to buy because the market never permanently closes and wishlists never permanently end. You will always be able to get something you want, because those things never run out.

2. Buy only what is functional

A pitfall a collector of anything falls into is the desire to just amass. Quantity is very impressive, but quantity should follow reason. A collector's reason for collecting should only be that what they collect they appreciate, otherwise their collection has no significance. One is not able to appreciate what they don't use because disuse results in forgetfulness. Thus, the act of using a collection results in a deeper appreciation and joy, the reason behind it all. If it can't be used, it should not be bought.

~Principals of Maintenance~

The greatest mixed-blessing of humanity is having emotions. Emotions override reason because emotion substitutes reason. While your willpower might be much stronger after taking those principals to heart, these principals will strengthen your resolve.

1. Stay away from the marketplaces

Nothing tempts emotions more than seeing an item for sale. The longer one stays, the more one is reminded of why they wanted to buy that item in the first place. Marketplaces are very special because it is made very convenient to just buy, while other related information or reviews do not. The more appreciation is fostered, the more sensible one will be. Marketplaces override sensibility.

2. Do not buy around

Buying around basically means one side-steps the main object and buys the trinkets related to it. Buying around might seem like a way to satiate the original urge, but it never will. The urge is for the original item and any attempts to dissuade it will only result in temporary distraction. Additionally, the amount of items that can be bought around might be greater than the original, and thus these purchases will likely become a sizable fraction of the original objects price. Buying around will never save money.

~~~~

So, that's my advice. Some of you might notice I actually left the subject ambiguous, and that is because this advice can be applied to any money-driven (or maybe not heavily driven) hobby. Collectors are a type of people, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back