Teen Pregnancy.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree with teenage pregnancy.

"A Dad At 13" has been a story all over the newspapers here recently:

Click.

The mother is 15.

& recently, a number of other boys have stepped forward saying it is possible that they may be the father of the baby.

When I heard it, I was like, 'What the?!'

Just having a load of boys thinking it could be them, & they have no idea.

It's outrageous.

So, I do not agree with it.

Teen pregnancy? I don't think that's right, at all. A young teenager (13-19) really isn't ready to handle the risk of STDs, or the emotional trauma if the relationship doesn't last, let alone giving birth. Sure, some guys are going to stick around and help with the baby, but statistics show that most will not. I'm a Christian, and personally believe that True Love Waits. <33

But for people who don't have that belief, I definitely think they should be well-educated about birth control and safe sex - everybody should. And you should definitely be in love with your partner first; you don't get your virginity back, so you've got to give it to the right person.

If you do get pregnant, I'm pretty pro-life. A person is a person, no matter how small. If it were me, I'd have the baby, find a loving couple unable to have children of their own, and let them adopt the baby.

I don't see how hard it is to put a condom on. I mean yes, it may not work at times, but there's not that high of a chance.

My boyfriend and I tried it for the first time. I think it's alright to have sex, I mean come on, hormonezzzz. I think a teenager should keep the baby, I know I would. I have to pay for my consequences, but I'm always up for safe sex. It's not that hard to wrap the willy :/ I just recently found out that a friend of mine was pregnant at 14 but had a miscarriage. Sure, she was sad, depressed maybe, but somehow I think she's lucky.

So yeah, just be safe.

Well, first, I'll start off with my ideas on teen sex. I think that it's okay to do it, if you know you are ready, and you limit it to the guy/girl you know you love. I think that, because, obviously, the country's abstinence programs are pretty much useless. Instead of shoving crap down our throats and practically screaming at us to rebel, maybe they should take a different approach, and try to educate us on how to do it safely. I'm talking about condoms, and birth control. It should be discouraged, but they still need to tell us that if we're gonna get screwed, we need to do it safely. I personally won't have sex till I think I'm ready to handle the worst possibilities, and even then I'll wear a condom and make sure none of us have STDs before.
Now for pregnancy. I feel absolutely no sympathy towards pregnant teens. That is, unless they were raped or had not been properly educated on the consequences. I think that you shouldn't have sex unless you are ready to accept the worse senario. If you went along and did it anyway, then it's your fault.

I also might feel sympathy if it was the result of a broke condom. Even then, I'd just say either abort or adopt.
ACTUALLY -

On the news the other day, it said that that because of the rapidly increasing rate of pregnant teens in Pittsburgh within the past decade, the health/sex ed curriculum was being changed (Or at least the school board was voting on changing it) from an abstinence-only program, to a program where there was more information on how to safely be sexually active. (i.e. condoms, birth control, etc)

Well,sex is a way people express love.I know.I don't think teens are ready for that kind of comitment.They should wait until they are old enough and have their minds made up.Its sad to see some one regret having sex.

first off, what is everyone saying when they say they "don't agree with it?" Do you mean you don't think teenagers shouldn't be having sex? Or they should abort it if they get pregnant? I mean of course no one endorses teenage pregnancy. I'm just confused about what they're saying.

I think it's fine for teenagers to have sex, but I think they should be smart about it. They shouldn't be having sex just "for fun". Sex is serious and you shouldn't have it unless it's with someone you love and trust, and they need to actually talk about what they would do if there was a pregnancy resulting from them having sex BEFORE they do it (and not just dismiss it with "it's not going to happen). And they shouldn't have sex if they have opposing opinions on what to do if she gets pregnant. If you're a girl you really need to be on birth control (unless you can't for whatever reason ie. your body can't handle the hormones or something like that. I have a friend like that), and if you're a guy you need to buy and use condoms every time (there are actually female condoms too). They need to get themselves checked periodically for stds and once again only do it with someone who loves them and is honest enough to tell them if they have an std. And potential pregnancy is just apart of having sex. And if you can go without it, then it's definitely infinitely better not to.

Since potential pregnancy is apart of having sex, if a girl does get pregnant. She needs to have the baby. Then decide if she wants to give it up for adoption or raise it herself. And if she was having sex with someone who genuinely cared about her, he'll stay and help. If she wasn't, that really sucks for her, she should have been smarter about who she slept with, but it doesn't change that she's still pregnant and she still needs to take responsibility for her actions. I don't think it's selfish to keep the baby even if you don't have the proper financial means, there are plenty of people who aren't financially or emotionally ready (teenagers and not adults) and they still raise children who turn out fine. It does, however, means that they will have to work their buts off to make up for the lack of financial means. And I don't think it's selfish to give it up for adoption either. The main thing is that the baby is in a place where it is loved and wanted. It's up to the parents to do what they think is best for their baby. I do think it's incredibly selfish to abort it because I think that a person is a person from the moment of conception. And not wanting it doesn't justify not giving it the opportunity to live. I haven't quite made up my mind about rape cases though... but I would still keep it if i was in that position. And rape resulting in pregnancy is actually pretty rare. I think the only time that an abortion is ok is if the pregnancy is genuinely endangering the mothers life, if the mother dies the baby usually does as well anyways, so there's no point in both people dying. Cases like those are very rare though.

I actually am fifteen and I do have sex. But I've been with the person for years and I know they love me, I'm using birth control, and he uses a condom every time. Neither of us have any stds, or have had sex with anyone else but each other. I definitely know the possible consequences (I have two cousins who are barely eighteen with two babies already) and I get that it's a lot smarter if I don't do it, but I just do. I would say most of the people I know in my grade or above do. It really is just the way it is now.

Well when you're gonna have sex at a young age 13-17 maybe 18 or 19, just a use a condom.

If you really think you're gonna have a family at your age, you have issues. This is my opinion.

No sympathy here.

Condom break or any other accident like rape or poor education on the subject? Ok..sympathy there.

I'm not gonna say don't do it or do it. I think it's fine for teens to make love but be smart. Just don't get pregnant or get an STD. Boys, wear a condom. Girls, bring a condom just in case your partner doesn't have one.

Does it make you cooler to get pregnant as a teenager? No.

Does it make you foolish in some people's eyes? Very.

I shouldn't have made love at my age in the first place.

Yes it was stupid but at least I was smart about it.

I was on birth control pills and used a condom. Girls it would be really good if you used BOTH.

The pills don't protect you from STD's.

You are highly protected if both are used.

When I think about it, I would have loved to wait...I feel ashamed. :D

Then I was 13 I'm 14 now.

But you can love each other, just keep a love glove on till you're at least 20.

first off, what is everyone saying when they say they "don't agree with it?" Do you mean you don't think teenagers shouldn't be having sex? Or they should abort it if they get pregnant? I mean of course no one endorses teenage pregnancy. I'm just confused about what they're saying.
I think it's fine for teenagers to have sex, but I think they should be smart about it. They shouldn't be having sex just "for fun". Sex is serious and you shouldn't have it unless it's with someone you love and trust, and they need to actually talk about what they would do if there was a pregnancy resulting from them having sex BEFORE they do it (and not just dismiss it with "it's not going to happen). And they shouldn't have sex if they have opposing opinions on what to do if she gets pregnant. If you're a girl you really need to be on birth control (unless you can't for whatever reason ie. your body can't handle the hormones or something like that. I have a friend like that), and if you're a guy you need to buy and use condoms every time (there are actually female condoms too). They need to get themselves checked periodically for stds and once again only do it with someone who loves them and is honest enough to tell them if they have an std. And potential pregnancy is just apart of having sex. And if you can go without it, then it's definitely infinitely better not to.

Since potential pregnancy is apart of having sex, if a girl does get pregnant. She needs to have the baby. Then decide if she wants to give it up for adoption or raise it herself. And if she was having sex with someone who genuinely cared about her, he'll stay and help. If she wasn't, that really sucks for her, she should have been smarter about who she slept with, but it doesn't change that she's still pregnant and she still needs to take responsibility for her actions. I don't think it's selfish to keep the baby even if you don't have the proper financial means, there are plenty of people who aren't financially or emotionally ready (teenagers and not adults) and they still raise children who turn out fine. It does, however, means that they will have to work their buts off to make up for the lack of financial means. And I don't think it's selfish to give it up for adoption either. The main thing is that the baby is in a place where it is loved and wanted. It's up to the parents to do what they think is best for their baby. I do think it's incredibly selfish to abort it because I think that a person is a person from the moment of conception. And not wanting it doesn't justify not giving it the opportunity to live. I haven't quite made up my mind about rape cases though... but I would still keep it if i was in that position. And rape resulting in pregnancy is actually pretty rare. I think the only time that an abortion is ok is if the pregnancy is genuinely endangering the mothers life, if the mother dies the baby usually does as well anyways, so there's no point in both people dying. Cases like those are very rare though.

I actually am fifteen and I do have sex. But I've been with the person for years and I know they love me, I'm using birth control, and he uses a condom every time. Neither of us have any stds, or have had sex with anyone else but each other. I definitely know the possible consequences (I have two cousins who are barely eighteen with two babies already) and I get that it's a lot smarter if I don't do it, but I just do. I would say most of the people I know in my grade or above do. It really is just the way it is now.
I think that if two people really do love one another, they will wait for each other until they get married. (I mean, if you think about it, if you're going to be having sex, and it's just between the two of you, and you "love" each other so much, why not put your love to the test and wait until you're married for sex? Why play house when you can have the real thing?) That's the ultimate way you can tell if someone really loves you, is if you wait for each other. Anyone can say they love you just to get what they want. If they're not willing to wait, then, to me, they're saying that you're not worth it, and I don't know about you, but I definitely don't want someone who doesn't think I'm worth the wait. Besides, I'm sure it'll be a lot more enjoyable too if you wait until you're with the person you'll spend the rest of your life with. I like to think of it as a car. You start out with a brand new, extra nice car and each time you have sex, that puts a fresh dent it. Then when it comes down to the time when you find that person that you want to spend the rest of your life with, and what do you have to offer them? A very dented car with lots of damage. Who would want that? Not me. I'd want that brand, spanking new car? How about you?

As for the rare case where a mother is raped, I, even then, do not think that reason justifies an abortion. That child shouldn't be the one who pays for their father's sin. That child is an innocent human being and does not deserve to die because it's father was a sick idiot.

Ripcurl, I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

So, if a girl had "dents", you wouldn't want her? Isn't part of loving someone looking at their past, knowing it, and learning to accept it as a part of that person that you can't change? Besides, a Corvette with dents is still a Corvette.

Anyway, on the topic of teen pregnancy, I don't encourage it but I'm not against it.

I think as long as the two love each other, and the father isn't a sleaze-bag who's going to abandon the mother and the child, that as long as the girl // woman is ready to be a mother and has parental support, that it's perfectly okay.

However, I think that if the mother isn't ready, or she doesn't have financial support necessary to take care of the child, that the child should be born and put up for adoption.

I don't feel that abortion is ever an option if it isn't for medical reasons --- In my opinion, abortion shouldn't be allowed unless holding the child in the womb is potentially fatal for the mother, because as someone stated before, if the mother dies, in most cases so will the child.

Well when you're gonna have sex at a young age 13-17 maybe 18 or 19, just a use a condom.If you really think you're gonna have a family at your age, you have issues. This is my opinion.

No sympathy here.

Condom break or any other accident like rape or poor education on the subject? Ok..sympathy there.

I'm not gonna say don't do it or do it. I think it's fine for teens to make love but be smart. Just don't get pregnant or get an STD. Boys, wear a condom. Girls, bring a condom just in case your partner doesn't have one.

Does it make you cooler to get pregnant as a teenager? No.

Does it make you foolish in some people's eyes? Very.

I shouldn't have made love at my age in the first place.

Yes it was stupid but at least I was smart about it.

I was on birth control pills and used a condom. Girls it would be really good if you used BOTH.

The pills don't protect you from STD's.

You are highly protected if both are used.

When I think about it, I would have loved to wait...I feel ashamed. :D

Then I was 13 I'm 14 now.

But you can love each other, just keep a love glove on till you're at least 20.
I agree with everything you said, except I think people should wait until they are at least 17 to have sex. You never know what can happen.

But yeah, I have no sympathy if you're dumb enough to go out, have sex with no protection, get pregnant and go "OMFG. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!??!" I mean, come on :) .

My friend recently had unprotected sex. She's done it more than once, too.

Me: 'You know, you could get pregnant.'

Her: 'No, because he pulled out in time'

Me: 'It doesn't matter, the tiniest bit of sperm could still have leaked out.'

Her: 'Yeah but we only got to do it for about two minutes'

Me: 'That doesn't matter.'

Her: 'Nah, blah blah he pulled out blah blah blah'

*A few minutes later*

Her: *checking stomach* 'do you reckon I've gained weight at all?'

She was full freaking out :blink:

Teenage pregnancy isn't a good idea, but If I ever got raped and fell pregnant, I would keep the baby.

My friends always said 'But if I got raped and pregnant I wouldn't want to look at the baby because it would remind me of what happened'

But even if the baby was a spitting image of the dad, It's NOT the dad, It's a completely different human being, a baby for you to love and hold =]

I'm completely against teen pregnancy unless it has it was by complete accident.

ex. Getting raped, not being protected enough ect. Otherwise there really is no excuse for it. The number of teen pregnancies is getting higher and higher every single year. I guess it's okay if you're responsible enough to care for the baby, but quite honestly, I highly doubt a teenager will be able to care for a child, as they are still children themselves.

Studies have also found that girls whose fathers left the family early in their lives had the highest rates of early sexual activity and adolescent pregnancy. Girls whose fathers left them at a later age had a lower rate of early sexual activity, and the lowest rates are found in girls whose fathers were present throughout their childhood. So I guess that really proves that most of the time it isn't the teen's fault, it just really matters on what happened throughout their childhood. It may also happen because they're exposed to stuff like this at such a young age and they start to think it's okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how hard it is to put a condom on. I mean yes, it may not work at times, but there's not that high of a chance.
My boyfriend and I tried it for the first time. I think it's alright to have sex, I mean come on, hormonezzzz. I think a teenager should keep the baby, I know I would. I have to pay for my consequences, but I'm always up for safe sex. It's not that hard to wrap the willy :/ I just recently found out that a friend of mine was pregnant at 14 but had a miscarriage. Sure, she was sad, depressed maybe, but somehow I think she's lucky.

So yeah, just be safe.
Yup, I agree. As you get into the teen years, your hormones develop a lot more and you start to feel feelings that are very natural. It will be completely okay as long as you use a condom to be safe. But isn't there still a very small chance that that you may not be fully protected with just a condom and birth control?

I'm completely against teen pregnancy unless it has it was by complete accident.ex. Getting raped, not being protected enough ect. Otherwise there really is no excuse for it. The number of teen pregnancies is getting higher and higher every single year. I guess it's okay if you're responsible enough to care for the baby, but quite honestly, I highly doubt a teenager will be able to care for a child, as they are still children themselves.

Studies have also found that girls whose fathers left the family early in their lives had the highest rates of early sexual activity and adolescent pregnancy. Girls whose fathers left them at a later age had a lower rate of early sexual activity, and the lowest rates are found in girls whose fathers were present throughout their childhood. So I guess that really proves that most of the time it isn't the teen's fault, it just really matters on what happened throughout their childhood. It may also happen because they're exposed to stuff like this at such a young age and they start to think it's okay.
^ I completely agree.

& the bolded bit is really interesting, I heard that somewhere too.

' date='March 02, 2009 11:59 pm'] Ripcurl, I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly.So, if a girl had "dents", you wouldn't want her? Isn't part of loving someone looking at their past, knowing it, and learning to accept it as a part of that person that you can't change? Besides, a Corvette with dents is still a Corvette.

Anyway, on the topic of teen pregnancy, I don't encourage it but I'm not against it.

I think as long as the two love each other, and the father isn't a sleaze-bag who's going to abandon the mother and the child, that as long as the girl // woman is ready to be a mother and has parental support, that it's perfectly okay.

However, I think that if the mother isn't ready, or she doesn't have financial support necessary to take care of the child, that the child should be born and put up for adoption.

I don't feel that abortion is ever an option if it isn't for medical reasons --- In my opinion, abortion shouldn't be allowed unless holding the child in the womb is potentially fatal for the mother, because as someone stated before, if the mother dies, in most cases so will the child.
I apologize for the confusion. Yes, I definitely would be willing to forgive the person for their past mistakes. I'm not one of those guys who say they'll only marry a virgin. Society isn't too supportive of virginity, especially male virginity. I'm willing to forgive mistakes in the past, but just as long they've made the decision to wait out of love for me and our future together.

I'd want that person to learn to love before I give myself to them. Learning to love is learning to put the other first. A guy who messes around outside of marriage isn't putting the good of the other first. He's using a girl. (Speaking the "body language" of permanent commitment when the relationship isn't permanent.)

And my point about the car was to get you to ask yourself what you'd prefer more. Would you take a Corvette with dents in it? I'm sure you would. But, if you could, wouldn't you rather take a Corvette with no dents at all? I think you would. :)

Ripcurl

I think that if two people really do love one another, they will wait for each other until they get married. (I mean, if you think about it, if you're going to be having sex, and it's just between the two of you, and you "love" each other so much, why not put your love to the test and wait until you're married for sex? Why play house when you can have the real thing?) That's the ultimate way you can tell if someone really loves you, is if you wait for each other. Anyone can say they love you just to get what they want. If they're not willing to wait, then, to me, they're saying that you're not worth it, and I don't know about you, but I definitely don't want someone who doesn't think I'm worth the wait. Besides, I'm sure it'll be a lot more enjoyable too if you wait until you're with the person you'll spend the rest of your life with. I like to think of it as a car. You start out with a brand new, extra nice car and each time you have sex, that puts a fresh dent it. Then when it comes down to the time when you find that person that you want to spend the rest of your life with, and what do you have to offer them? A very dented car with lots of damage. Who would want that? Not me. I'd want that brand, spanking new car? How about you?
As for the rare case where a mother is raped, I, even then, do not think that reason justifies an abortion. That child shouldn't be the one who pays for their father's sin. That child is an innocent human being and does not deserve to die because it's father was a sick idiot.
I'd like to start of by saying that if two people really want to wait for marriage then by all means they can go for it. I don't think it's wrong. But if two people want to wait for marriage, I don't think that really proves anything as far as love goes unless it's really important to one of them. I think that's more just them proving their loyalty to their religion than to each other in most cases. If someone really wants to wait until marriage then if the other person really loves them, they'll wait. People who love each other will do anything for each other and if that's important to one of them the other one will do it. But if both people don't think you have to wait until marriage, then how is not waiting until marriage them not loving each other? That's just them having different ideas about how to lead their lives. There are plenty of people who will say anything to get into someones pants that's true. But not all people are that way and you sound like you're stereo-typing every single person who doesn't think you have to wait to be married. Just because people may not have the same morals you may have, doesn't mean they don't love each other. Believe me I know plenty of people who all waited until marriage and never loved each other, they were just doing it because the bible said so. I don't think waiting until marriage automatically proves anything.

And did you really compare people who have had sex to banged up cars? I don't base peoples worth off of their virginity. Which maybe you didn't mean to come across that way but you basically said that if a person has had sex before you wouldn't want them the same way you wouldn't want a used car. People aren't cars.... and I think there are infinitely more important traits to look for in a spouse than if they've had sex with other people before. In fact, I think that would be the last thing on my mind.

............Uh... I didn't know we could talk about this kind of stuff on TT... *cringe*

Anyway, I am against teen pregnancy big fat full stop. I mean, there are loads of teens out there who get preggers delibratley and say that they can handle it and then they have lots of trouble. I mean, if having an annoying whiny brother is a pain in the neck, a babay must be worse.

Well, I know a girl whose mom was fourteen when she had her. And she wasn't the first child. She was adopted, after, her and her little sister. There were a few other kids that stayed with the biological mom.

I think fourteen is too young to have sex. I think virginity is very important until you are married.

I hope your friend does well, and I hope she puts the child up for adoption.

Well. Shayna [Pregnant girl!] must be near popping now. Last I heard she was due may 1st.

I savour my virginity. I'd only lose it if I really loved the person or felt like I could. I only want a child when i'm old enough to deal with it and have a decent partner [i don't know if I want a marriage yet.] The fear of getting pregnant is the main reason I don't want to lose my virginity just yet.

Half the girls at school have lost it. I could list off at least 30 girls who I know of who don't have their virginity and 10 who have had an abortion. that are pregnant or had a pregnancy scare [unprotected] But I guess thats why my school got a rep as the easiest girls to get in yerr bed in the city!

Well, I know a girl whose mom was fourteen when she had her. And she wasn't the first child. She was adopted, after, her and her little sister. There were a few other kids that stayed with the biological mom.I think fourteen is too young to have sex. I think virginity is very important until you are married.

I hope your friend does well, and I hope she puts the child up for adoption.
Shes keeping it. Killing her young life. She said that until she was 7 months her mum wanted nothing to do with her when it came but now says she can choose what to do with it but shes not helping raise another child. She got herself into possibly the worst thing a teenage girl can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back