The 'Jabberwocky'

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.:VeganCheeseBurgerFTW:.

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the poem 'Jabberwocky'?

I have to memorise it in 7 days and have some sort of drama proformance to go with.

Jabberwocky -

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought—

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

-------------

Come on! Half of that I can't pronounce.

Anyone encountered this beastly poem?

Wow.

Nup, never came across it.

But maaaaan, that is long and extremelty difficult to pronounce. Someone who can learn that within a week must either have skills, or just be immensly bored.

Wow, just wow.

Yep I've even made a document on it with a pic of it and were did you hear it from?

In sixth grade we had to memorize a poem by Robert Frost... I forget the title, but it went something like, "Two roads diverge in a yellow wood... and be one traveler, long I stood, and looked on one, as long as I could, to where it bent in the undergrowth. I took the other, just as fair, and perhaps having the better claim, because it was grassy and wanted wear, and though as for that passing there, had worn it really about the same.... and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

The words might be a little off, but I still remember the majority of the poem. We memorized this over three years ago, and it somehow just stuck to my memory.

I've never heard of the poem that you are memorizing, however.

Best of luck. :]

Yes! I grew up listening to my parents reciting it!! :( So yes, I know it by heart.

Yeah, my parents are strange and it's a cool poem. :)

I love that poem! (What's not to like?)

I loved that poem so much, that when I was your age, I memorised it just for the sheer pleasure of hearing those weird and wonderful words roll off the tongue.

The pronounciation really isn't too difficult. Lewis Caroll just made up some words that he thought were cooler than the usual boring words in use at the time.

Try looking through YouTube and see if you can listen to a few versions of the poem. It might help you memorise it if you see it performed and make it more appealing :]

Good Luck

Of course. I know it by heart.

Not even kidding. We studied it in Year 6, writing our own versions and everything.

'Twas very epic indeedy.

That's one of my favorite poems!

I learned it when I was 10.

It's so wonderfully weird!

I actually love that poem =D

I just never had to memorise it. But, I've memorized other long poems / speechs. The trick is to memorize verse by verse and then stanzas. Also, it would help to open a blank word document, and type/recite the poem onto the document. That always helps me.

No but I did notice that is the song the Cheshire cat sings in Alice (Disney version). =P

I rember where I heard of the Jabberwocky...It was in a movie called Alice Through the Looking Glass I believe....

Jabberwocky and Jubjub bird...?

OMG THEY MENTIONED SOME NEOPETS XD

:furawatchi:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back