Vegetarianism - Opinions?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that vegetarians have better tasting toothpaste.

But like I had no idea that people would have views against being vegetarian. You don't want to eat meat? Go ahead, just make sure you still get enough protein. You want to chow down on chicken? That's fine. I want to become vegetarian, but my mom won't let me because it's already hard enough for me to get the protein my body needs. It's a legitimate reason. I don't want to feel any more weak than I do now.

Eat what you want to eat. Don't eat what you don't want to eat. Just remember to eat healthy.

Says the girl who just had ice cream for breakfast. I think my stomach just meowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
no srry vegetables r a sin
Oh goodness. I have to call my local church group! We have to STOP teaching children about the food pyramid! This healthy eating diagram contains vegetables and certainly must NOT be displayed in a church setting if it is in fact a sin!

/Sarcasm

But please tell me you meant to say vegetarian. Or something that almost might make sense. In a way. With faith, trust, and pixie dust.

*quoted posts removed*

I was only joking. ;_;

TM Edit:
This applies to everyone - You are posting in a Seriously Non TamaTalk topic.
Keep your replies mature and sensible please - or find a Vegetarianism thread on another community forum that allows you to mock and criticise others

Oh, I wanted to add that while some turn to vegetarianism as a way of boycotting the slaughter of animals as well as being against growth hormones and all that.... sadly today many fruits and veggies have been genetically engineered as well, as well as dyed to make them look more appetizing. Those oranges that are are the brightest? Dyed. Reddest of apples? Dyed. And dyes have been linked to hyperactiveness as well as possible causes for ADHD in young children. And then of course you have to consider all the pesticides used on the plants to prevent bugs from chowing down on them....

Either way, we are pretty much eating tainted food. Or as someone once put: "edible food-like substances" nowadays....

It's a real shame. Probably a major reason why so many people grow up with all these weird sorts of defects and disorders....

So I suggest to go organic if you can. And make sure it's truly organic. Or even grow your own food. We grow various fruits and there's nothing quite like a freshly picked apricot or tangerine or nectarine... just sadly our nectarine tree died due to a carpenter bee infestation.... :(

Really?! O_O

We don't need to eat candy, chips, donuts, French fries, tuna, pizza, pies, cereal, ice cream, cake, sandwiches and there aren't many benefits to doing so, so why do it?

and also about that quote...

but article says:

"what did the non-vegetarians eat? A balanced diet with organic meat? Or was it mostly processed meat?

And if we continue to dig…

What about lifestyle factors? The result may possibly be that vegetarians live a healthier lifestyle. Smoke less, exercise more… There are way too many factors in play that make it impossible to say exactly what the direct cause and effect is."

It doesn't make any sense to say "vegetarians have a greater life expectancy than non-vegetarians". What if the non-vegetarian exercises more? What if the vegetarian drinks too much soda? What if the vegetarian eats other unhealthy foods? What if the non-vegetarian eats other unhealthy foods? What if the non-vegetarian only eats some meat? There are too many different factors.
No, of course we don't go around killing other people to prevent overpopulation. Neither murders nor wars happen because of overpopulation.

There's a difference between meat and those other foods. Meat requires animals to be raised and killed, often in bad conditions. Other unhealthy foods don't, and actually we do need small amounts of salt and sugar.

Yes, there are a lot of factors, but I'm talking about in general. A smoker could be healthier than a non-smoker because of these factors, but that doesn't change the fact that non-smokers are, in general, healthier than smokers. If you eat meat but you do a lot of exercise, don't smoke, don't eat too much etc. then yes, you can be healthier than the average vegetarian. You'd just be in the minority.

As well as health reasons, I'm also vegetarian for moral reasons. In fact, I want to become a vegan when I'm an adult (I can't now because I'm underweight, I don't eat enough and eating even less wouldn't help). Why? Because I don't feel it's right to breed millions of animals for the purpose of killing them and eat them, or taking the milk or eggs they produce. It wouldn't be right to do that to humans, and since I believe humans are a type of animal, it's not right to do that to animals either. I know others have very different opinions, but that's mine.

@Dazz: I think he was talking about abortion and euthanasia. Yes, it's not always that reason, but in both cases people feel that they(or their baby) is a burden to society(overpopulation).

@Dazz: I think he was talking about abortion and euthanasia. Yes, it's not always that reason, but in both cases people feel that they(or their baby) is a burden to society(overpopulation).
I don't think he meant that at all... (I may be wrong) Let's not bring in those topics and leave them to their own respective topics.

veggies_zps9151576e.png

Heavens-to-Betsy, my lunch is a sin!

Totally posted it on Instagram guys

I made it all by myself on the stove and nothing exploded

See vegetables are happy foods

Well, until I read the posts in this topic, I had no idea anyone opposed vegetarianism.

Vegetarianism isn't an issue and if you have a problem with it maybe you shouldn't be so critical of things that are so little and don't even effect you because you actually sound insane!

Maybe people should not start ridiculously stupid arguments on topics where the FIRST LINE states "I hope this doesn't end up in any kind of arguments".

ga120414.gif

People actually need to eat meat. There are articles about it...and that was based on actual studies so I'm pretty sure it's true.

Here's part of one from INH:

Meat is not bad for you. Look at our caveman ancestors. They didn’t suffer from the health problems that we do today.4 And their diet relied heavily on meat. But not just meat. Fresh, organic meat and fish alongside eggs, tree nuts, and lots of fresh vegetables and fruits.

A study published by the journal Nature provides an answer to this long "which-diet-is-better debate".5 Researchers studied the tooth enamel from fossils of three different types of early cavemen. They discovered that the group that ate mainly plants died out before the meat eaters.

Bottom line: If you want a healthy heart, you don’t have to resign yourself to a life of eating lettuce.

It’s not meat that's killing us. It’s the junk. So do as our caveman ancestors once did: fresh, organic, and low-glycemic.

Studies show being vegetarian is very healthy? Studies show being vegetarian is unhealthy? Studies show eating meat can increase disease risk? Studies show eating meat is not bad?

Hurr hurr all studies are true and real :rolleyes:
Meat was healthy and fitted in to the diets of cavemen. Yes, we did evolve to eat it. But we don't follow what we evolved to do nowadays. Since people "invented" agriculture - growing plants to harvest and eat - we've had very different diets to before. Cavemen were hunter-gatherers and didn't eat nearly as much wheat, corn etc. as we do now. They needed meat. But we have very different diets and lifestyles to them, so we don't.

Also, people could get all the protein they needed from eating insects. It would be more humane than raising and killing cows, pigs and sheep, which are actually quite intelligent animals who can feel physical pain. It would also be better for the environment, since insect "farms" would take up a lot less space. But people aren't prepared to do that.

Just to give another view. I don't believe "cavemen" are another species. I think they were just normal humans who just got a long age (circa 900 years). And because of that their skulls were different than the 'young' skulls we see today(for skulls change by age ;) ).

It's amazing what stories people can get from some bones...

Anyway, not everybody believes in evolution. And I have right to since it is has enough counter evidence to prove it's not fact(a theory, yes..).

I believe what the Bible says, and this is what it says:

Genesis 3:17-19

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’
“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”
It was only after Noah's flood(centuries later) that God allowed animals and humans to eat meat.

So, if you don't believe in evolution or you're a Christian you don't have to swallow all this stuff...

Please STAY ON TOPIC. Please! Don't go off topic! TamaMum already asked you guys...

Anyways...

Everyone has a reason to eat how they do.

I have a friend who says she is, and I guess she is... but she eats fish. I am not 100 on how fish is a middle ground for not meat, but it is right? Its cool with me if she wants to eat fish and still be a vegetarian. I can't eat Tofu though... I have friends who eat that instead of regular meat.

I have a friend who says she is, and I guess she is... but she eats fish. I am not 100 on how fish is a middle ground for not meat, but it is right? Its cool with me if she wants to eat fish and still be a vegetarian. I can't eat Tofu though... I have friends who eat that instead of regular meat.
That's a pescetarian, not a vegetarian. I thought about becoming one myself many times, except fish is pricey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back