WARNING! VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenniswinner

December 2007 Contest Winner
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for coming to this topic - it seems that there is a terrible virus going around. My dad sent me an email about it:

This virus attacks - so far pc's only so far that they know of.

Subject: BAD VIRUS...IMPORTANT TO READ

THIS WARNING HAS BEEN VERIFIED:

https://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

Please don't open any "greeting card" /"postcard from a relative" e-mails unless you know who they're from.

I verified this at https://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

(last update 1 July 2007)

WORST VIRUS EVER --- CNN ANNOUNCED; PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!!

A new virus has just been discovered that has be en classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner:

It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title:

"A Card for You" OR "POSTCARD FOR YOU".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN.

This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as you get the mail, delete it!! Even if you know the sender !!!

-Dad

Okay, so as scary as that was, I have been getting emails like this entitled:

You've received a postcard from a Partner!

You've received an ecard from a Class-mate!

You've received a greeting card from a School-mate!

You've received a greeting card from a Neighbor!

You've received a greeting ecard from a Mate!

Greeting postcard

Birthday e-card

The link to the card is a number with periods in it, exp: 99.999.999.9.9.99 (something like that just with different numbers)

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT open this email or click the link! I have posted this for the sake of your hard drive. Please be careful about which emails you open!

Wow, I never click on messages from people I don't know but that's really good to know especialy if you've been getting them! What's your e-mail provider [yahoo, gmail, ect.]?

Thanks for the heads up!

[bTW- if you click on the mail it sends it to everyone on your mailing list or even if you just get the email in your box?]

So, it send it only to the people on your mailing list? That's good, because I only have one person on my mailing list, so I won't have to look out for much. Thank you so much for telling us!

omg thnx for warning us tamatalker!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome everybody! ;)

TWP - I have a yahoo email address, and only if you open it then it sends it to all the people on your mailing list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't McAfee block and destroy the virus? Oh god *slaps head* I better check my Yahoo and destroy the messages like those

Thanks for the heads up, I usually only open to friends.

That is very scary. I'll tell my dad, because if his computer is destroyed, he'll cry. (probably not literally, just kidding) but that's horrible. I'll tell everyone I can.

;o

Wow. Is this something that's just happening in the US or something?

If it is- boy am i lucky- i live in England.

What if not everybody here reads this?

I SO have to email my friends/family about this!

Thanks SO much Tenniswinner, i could have wasted 500 and something pounds!

Thanks for informing us. If my computer ever gets destroyed I would hide in the closet and wish evil thoughts on my family. The computer is very important to me XP

UPDATE!

I just got another ecard, but I didn't know it was an ecard so I opened it:

Entitled "Don't worry, be happy!"

I`m in hurry, but i still love you...

(as you can see on the ecard)

-link removed so you don't get the virus-

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back