What Color Tamagotchi Should I Get?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr0st

Reaction score
I'm no stranger to japanese language tamagotchis since my only tamagotchi is an entama, but i wanted a new one that has color. The M!x is the newest, and its on of the cheaper ones with the 4U and the id also being cheap. My phone is also compatible with the 4U app so i can do cool stuff with that too, and for the Tamagotchi P's it is really expensive, and if i get one i would want to make it english but i dont think i have a phone that can do the english patch.

I have both a P's and IDL and both are really fun but if I had to choose one it'd be the IDL.

If you're looking for cheap the regular ID/IDL family I find is best for price and content, especially the IDL. While normal ones aren't expensive, special edition ones are.

With the P's you can get extra content with Decor Pierces, official ones range in price on eBay depending on what you want. There are also VDPs made by the makers of the English patch which you can get for free.

Although if you have a compatible phone I'd go for the 4u+ and not the 4u as it comes with more built in content. You can also pick and choose a lot of different things for that Tama.

For the M!x it's really about trying to get different breeds of characters by cross breeding.

I have an iD L (E and 15th Anni.), P's, 4U+ and M!X. I have an iD in the post, but as I haven't used it yet I can't really comment.

The iD L is my favourite model; it has loads of inbuilt content and I prefer some of it's features and characters to the P's and the standard version has my all time favourite Tamagotchi games. However, it's only available in Japanese (unless you get the highly sought after and expensive English version). There are three different versions you can get, each with different games and characters; the standard iD L, Princess Spacey Ver and the 15th Anniversary Ver. I have the latter; I personally think it's adorable and, as it has loads of the old characters, has a nostalgic feeling that I haven't found in other colour Tamas. That said, the 15th Anni. is quite expensive to get new (second hand ones can be reasonably priced). I've not got the Princess Spacey ver., but it's the same model just with a couple of different characters and new games; it does go quite cheaply (in comparison to others) though. The iD L was my first colour Tamagotchi, so I would definitely recommend it as a 'starter' colour.

I do also really like the P's and, although I prefer the iD L, would recommend this over the iD L as a first colour Tama. This is mostly because you can get it patched into English; even if you don't have a compatible phone/dongle, some people will sell P's (even new ones) pre-patched and with downloads at your request. The addition of the pierces also increase the replay value of the P's; between the inbuilt content, the pierces and the VDPs (downloads), it feels like the gameplay is endless! The P's is very similar to the iD L in terms of gameplay; they just have a few different features (e.g., growing seed in the garden on the iD L or the garden visitors in the P's) and while the pierces aren't necessary, they are fun. As I said, I do think that the P's are a great way to start.

The 4U/+ is very limited in built in content, but if you have a compatible phone (which you say you do) I think they're great fun. As you said, they're also some of the cheaper colour Tamas. The 4U+ has a little more in built content (two more characters and extra features such as growing food at the farm), but the 4U can be patched into English, so bare that in mind when choosing which to get. Hopefully there should be a 4U+ translation at some point, but not at the moment. I enjoy the feel of the 4U+; the graphics seem a little sleeker and the whole thing feels more 'sophisticated' than the previous models (it's target audience was young adults as opposed to children). A lot of people don't like the 4U/+ due to the limited content but the idea was that you could customise it to be your 'perfect' Tamagotchi with the downloads. As I have a compatible phone this works for me and I actually think it's great. It's also less needy than the iD L and P's.

The M!X isn't my favourite Tamagotchi, but that's partly because I've been unable to unlock everything yet (waiting to get another one!). It's a bit difficult to say whether or not this is a 'good' Tamagotchi to get as it's gameplay is so different from others. As I'm sure you're aware, the premise of the M!X, rather than to unlock all of the built in characters, is to breed your Tamagotchis and mix their genetics to create new Tamagotchis. It is surprisingly fun, but I personally feel limited by who I can breed with as I'm missing five of the characters. I also don't enjoy the games on the M!X as much as I do on previous models; that said, there are four built in games as opposed to the normal two (although it is possible to have up to five games on a P's; two built in, two download and one from a pierce). Again, as I've not unlocked everywhere I haven't played all of the games yet. However, the menu bars disappear meaning the 'active' screen is larger, which allows for much nicer, more detailed graphics. The M!X is a delight to look at. The M!X is also in Japanese and it looks like it'll be staying that way as (currently) there's no way of getting downloads onto the M!X outside of Japan.

Hope this helps a little bit! Feel free to ask more questions if you like!

I have an iD L (E and 15th Anni.), P's, 4U+ and M!X. I have an iD in the post, but as I haven't used it yet I can't really comment.

The iD L is my favourite model; it has loads of inbuilt content and I prefer some of it's features and characters to the P's and the standard version has my all time favourite Tamagotchi games. However, it's only available in Japanese (unless you get the highly sought after and expensive English version). There are three different versions you can get, each with different games and characters; the standard iD L, Princess Spacey Ver and the 15th Anniversary Ver. I have the latter; I personally think it's adorable and, as it has loads of the old characters, has a nostalgic feeling that I haven't found in other colour Tamas. That said, the 15th Anni. is quite expensive to get new (second hand ones can be reasonably priced). I've not got the Princess Spacey ver., but it's the same model just with a couple of different characters and new games; it does go quite cheaply (in comparison to others) though. The iD L was my first colour Tamagotchi, so I would definitely recommend it as a 'starter' colour.

I do also really like the P's and, although I prefer the iD L, would recommend this over the iD L as a first colour Tama. This is mostly because you can get it patched into English; even if you don't have a compatible phone/dongle, some people will sell P's (even new ones) pre-patched and with downloads at your request. The addition of the pierces also increase the replay value of the P's; between the inbuilt content, the pierces and the VDPs (downloads), it feels like the gameplay is endless! The P's is very similar to the iD L in terms of gameplay; they just have a few different features (e.g., growing seed in the garden on the iD L or the garden visitors in the P's) and while the pierces aren't necessary, they are fun. As I said, I do think that the P's are a great way to start.

The 4U/+ is very limited in built in content, but if you have a compatible phone (which you say you do) I think they're great fun. As you said, they're also some of the cheaper colour Tamas. The 4U+ has a little more in built content (two more characters and extra features such as growing food at the farm), but the 4U can be patched into English, so bare that in mind when choosing which to get. Hopefully there should be a 4U+ translation at some point, but not at the moment. I enjoy the feel of the 4U+; the graphics seem a little sleeker and the whole thing feels more 'sophisticated' than the previous models (it's target audience was young adults as opposed to children). A lot of people don't like the 4U/+ due to the limited content but the idea was that you could customise it to be your 'perfect' Tamagotchi with the downloads. As I have a compatible phone this works for me and I actually think it's great. It's also less needy than the iD L and P's.

The M!X isn't my favourite Tamagotchi, but that's partly because I've been unable to unlock everything yet (waiting to get another one!). It's a bit difficult to say whether or not this is a 'good' Tamagotchi to get as it's gameplay is so different from others. As I'm sure you're aware, the premise of the M!X, rather than to unlock all of the built in characters, is to breed your Tamagotchis and mix their genetics to create new Tamagotchis. It is surprisingly fun, but I personally feel limited by who I can breed with as I'm missing five of the characters. I also don't enjoy the games on the M!X as much as I do on previous models; that said, there are four built in games as opposed to the normal two (although it is possible to have up to five games on a P's; two built in, two download and one from a pierce). Again, as I've not unlocked everywhere I haven't played all of the games yet. However, the menu bars disappear meaning the 'active' screen is larger, which allows for much nicer, more detailed graphics. The M!X is a delight to look at. The M!X is also in Japanese and it looks like it'll be staying that way as (currently) there's no way of getting downloads onto the M!X outside of Japan.

Hope this helps a little bit! Feel free to ask more questions if you like!
I do have a question, I looked and the 4U/+ look cheap and basic enough for me to understand, but i cant decide if i should take the version with more content (4U+) or the version with less content but an English patch (4U). Can i ask what you would think is better? Having a color tamagotchi with English sounds really nice, but i dont know if i will be missing out on way better features with the newer 4U+ and if its going to take a month or a year for there to be a 4U+ English patch.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was making the decision the get a 4U or a 4U+ there was no English patch, so I just went for the one with the more content (plus, I really liked the anniversary shells). Now, obviously, there is that distinction. I have no idea when the 4U+ patch will be coming out; I presume it's still in the works but I get the feeling (and I may be wrong) that it's been pushed back a little with the release of the M!X; you know, just that everyone it playing with that instead.

Anyway. I also have two English Tamagotchis; the iD L E and a patched P's. The rest of my colour Tamas (iD, iD L 15th Anni., 4u+ and M!X) are all in Japanese; while they're easy enough to understand, they're not the same as the English Tamas I have. Is English necessary to enjoy a Tama? Not at all. Is it nice and does it add just that little bit extra because you can understand the park conversations? Yes, it does. If I were buying a Tamagotchi for my newbie friends, I'd probably get a 4U and patch it; on the other hand, you seem a little more seasoned and the extra content on the 4U+ is fun (I particularly like the farm and the extra Personality Stages).

Would it be possible for you to get one of each? They can connect, so you'd get those features as well. (I intend to get a 4U for myself at some point).

All in all, even if the 4U patch had been out when I bought mine, I'd still have probably gone for the 4U+. Why? Well, I particularly wanted the Anniversary shell/faceplate (even the regular 4U+s come in more colours than the 4Us), but also I don't think it's that much more for extra content. I've already got English language Tamagotchis (so don't feel I'm missing out to much on my Japanese Tamas) and there will hopefully be a patch for the 4U+ at some point, which will solve the problem. So all in all it seems like the winner to me.

Just to add in case you don't know, the Anniversary 4U/+ is exactly the same, just with fancy faceplates. Gameplay is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back