What do YOU think...?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinderpelt

Reaction score
We were discussing The Cask Of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe today in my English class, and we got into a very interesting topic, which I would love to hear your opinions on.

When is it okay to kill someone?

At first, the question comes off a little... crazy. Most people's automatic response (I know mine was.), is, "OMG! It is NEVER okay to kill somebody!"

But seriously think about it.

What if somebody kills your boyfriend? Your girlfriend? Your spouse? Your children? Your mother? Your father? Would your retaliate? Is it then okay to kill somebody? For revenge of your loved ones?

What about self-defense? Someone breaks into your home and wants to kill you or someone you live with. Do you shoot your attacker? Or do you stick with, "no violence," and not retaliate?

What about if you are terrified for your life? A murderer or other dangerous criminal is loose in your neighborhood, and you no longer feel safe in your own home. Would you kill him? Would you deal with your fears? Or would you move somewhere safer?

I was surprised that the majority of my class would kill someone, if that someone had killed one of their family members.

I in most cases wouldn't. Say someone killed my parents. What good is it going to do me killing them for it? Killing the suspect isn't going bring my parents back. It's only going to cause me grief and guilt - and maybe even send me to prison or end my life, if I get caught. All for what? And I'm sure my parents would never want to see me do that. They'd rather I moved on in my life and became a successful individual.

Then again, I'm a pretty peaceful, non-violent person. What satisfaction would I get with someone's blood on my hands? What satisfaction would I get out of taking someone's life? I wouldn't get any. I personally would just feel much worse about my life and what's happened. For some people, however, that would bring them closure and a release. That depends on personality type. What's your personality type? Are you the type of person to go out and seek revenge? Or are you more passive, like me?

Do you believe that killing someone is immoral, no matter what the circumstance? Even if you believe it is immoral, would you do it anyway? Or, if in a specific situation, is killing... moral?

My English teacher said he was a hippie way back when, and somebody asked him, "If you could go back in time, before World War II, and kill Adolph Hitler, knowing today what wasn't known then, would you? Would you prevent the Holocaust by killing another human being?"

He said his answer was yes, if he could go back before World War II he would kill Adolph Hitler, even though he claimed to be a, "hippie." And a hippie stands for no violence, no matter what the circumstances.

My opinion on that? I'm really not so sure. Part of me is like, YES! You should totally kill Hitler. He made millions and millions of innocent people suffer, and he cost them their lives.

BUT. The Holocaust really has influenced today's society for the better. Now we know that cruelty like that does exist. We can work to prevent situations that are similar to the Holocaust from ever happening again. Without the Holocaust, who knows where the world would be? And by killing Hitler before World War II, how would you be effecting the rest of the world? What would life be like now?

So, when is it honestly okay to kill somebody, in your opinion?

I am aware that this topic can go down some unwanted paths. Please, no flaming. State your opinion calmly, and don't chew anyone out for what the believe in. Keep in mature, please. I would like this topic to be kept open. I really do want to know what my fellow TamaTalkers think. :furawatchi:

So, what do you think?

To me, I think it's murder!

BUT, the only reason I (and other people, too, I bet) probably say that is because it is against the law. The only reason that we are against killing people is because we'll get punished by the law. so.... I think that if someone kills someone that you really love, then you should have the right to kill them.

but now that I think about it, to me, I'd rather the idiot that killed one of the people I loved not to just die, and g away, I'd rather he'd/she'd live a long, extremely painful life. So, instead of killing them, I'd probably trap them in a cell or something, and hurt them badly every day, but not to a point where they'd die. That's what I would do :p (wow that was weird to type!) but I guess that that is what the police do, trap them in cells for their lives and stuff..

SO, I think it's okay to kill someone if they've killed someone that you loved, but I would never do it, only because I would end up in jail. :blink: Instead I would just report them to the police, then they could live a horrible, painful life. But if the police don't happen to deal with it, then I would kill the.. slowly, and painfully.

:furawatchi:

Actually....I wouldn't. Sometimes I would, but I don't have any reason. It depends on my mood. But anyway, If somebody kills one of my loved ones, I wouldn't let them go. I want them to suffer...

I believe that in most cases, no, it' s not right to take the life of another person, especially if they're innocent, which is why I'm personally so opposed to abortion. But of course, there are some exceptions.

I do believe in capital punishment. If someone brutally takes the life of another person and justice is not carried out, we're basically saying that that innocent life that was taken isn't worth anything. But if we do, then we're saying that we value life so much that if you take someone's life, yours will be taken as well.

There are also other situations where I think that the taking of one's life is acceptable. (i.e. self defense, the defending of innocent lives, etc.) I don't think that carrying out justice is the equivalent of murder.

Regards,

RC

Last edited by a moderator:
My full opinion.

Its almost never okay to kill someone.

But I think any serial killers who are actually savage and commited horrid crimes should be exacuted.

Yes, I think exacution is okay in some sitations.

Now I have a story i'd like for you to see via a awesome song/video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQBXbIsENw&feature=related

Its about the murder in my country.

A tagger repeatly tagged a mans property so the man stabbed him to death.

Listen to the start and the lyrics.

[On a unrelated note Gin [the female vocalist] has a funny mouth!]

For me, it's not a question of "when is it OK..?"

For me, it's not OK to kill another person, ever.

I don't support execution or murder under any circumstances.

Self defence? I couldn't carry a gun - let alone use it.

(LOL I can't even go clay pidgeon shooting...) ;)

Revenge? I agree with Cinderpelt - how does it bring your loved one back?

I suppose it all comes down to the fact that basically I couldn't carry the responsibility for killing another person and I don't like the idea that others can honestly contemplate killing another person either ;)

I personally think that it is really never okay to kill someone unless it's for self defense.Like if someone is trying to kill you or a family member then maybe you could. Or if someone is trying to kidnap you

If one of my loved ons were killed.... It depends. If the depression is so bad, then the murderer can prepare to die. And I'd make it painful too. Then, afterwards, I'd kill myself. So, I'd only kill someone if I was going to kill myself afterwards. If I was not saddened enough to do that, I'd probably go insane. When something happens like that, I push the event out of my mind. I pretend it doesn't exist. But with something as devastating as that, it would probably tear at me till there was nothing left. If it was just some random friend who I didn't love, The murderer would receive a very wordy testimony about how they are worthless, are doomed to a living hell for as long as they live, they are an absolute failure at life and that I'm going to do everything in my power to make them wish that they were never born. I am generally vengeful.

In self defense, I believe that it's fine to kill them, if they really are going to kill you.

As for capital punishment, I think it's an eye-for-an-eye situation. If you take someone's life, yours gets taken too.

Look, Cinderpelt is right what if it was a murder? would you what to kill that person for killing? really think "what if" I wouldn't want to for FUN but what I just said yes I would kill that person.

I think that killing someone for any reson whatsoever is wrong. Of course, if it is an accendent, it isn't really "wrong" unless you are glad you killed that person.

I'm sorry, but I have to bring religion into my post to explain my answer.....

I would never kill someone, because even if they killed someone I loved, they would just go on to another life and plus, I would just feel terrible. I would be punished in another life for killing as well

Well, my view on this is linked to that old saying "two wrongs don't make a right".

I believe that's true in this case.

If some psychopath killed my loved ones, I would be prepared to kill them, and make it painful. But I don't think I would actually do it. I'd have to find some other way to get rid of my anger. I'd look to Jesus (my religion does come into this) for love and support, and I know I could eventually pull through.

But it would be far, far, far from easy.

As for self defence, yes, I would kill someone if they were genuinely about to kill me. Not if they came up to me and punched me - in that case, I'd just run and scream. I'm good at that.

But if they were actually going to kill, I'd rather be the one to finish them off.

[SIZE=7pt]yes, maybee,[/SIZE]

I would most likely kill Hitler. But likeee, maybe just scare him straight, cos' you know, I'm tuff and scary :( haha,

If someone killed my whole family... I don't know, I'd be so angry and sad, I might,

like, ... ugh I dont know, its a very fine line.

If one of my loved ons were killed.... It depends. If the depression is so bad, then the murderer can prepare to die. And I'd make it painful too. Then, afterwards, I'd kill myself. So, I'd only kill someone if I was going to kill myself afterwards. If I was not saddened enough to do that, I'd probably go insane. When something happens like that, I push the event out of my mind. I pretend it doesn't exist. But with something as devastating as that, it would probably tear at me till there was nothing left. If it was just some random friend who I didn't love, The murderer would receive a very wordy testimony about how they are worthless, are doomed to a living hell for as long as they live, they are an absolute failure at life and that I'm going to do everything in my power to make them wish that they were never born. I am generally vengeful.
In self defense, I believe that it's fine to kill them, if they really are going to kill you.

As for capital punishment, I think it's an eye-for-an-eye situation. If you take someone's life, yours gets taken too.
You stole my thoughts!

In my 5 years of self defence training and years of practice on my victims I could fend someone off with out killing them BUT I was taught [and told only to use if it was absolutely needed] how to kill with one finger.

I can also dislocate knees and paralyze with one hit so never get on my wrong side!

And yes. If you take someones life then yours should get taken too.

dang NZ doesn't support the death penalty but my dad does!

Under NO circumstance should killing another person be acceptable or okay. You will live with the fact that you killed somebody for the rest of your life and it will haunt you forever and it will linger in the back of your head for life. Also, it will come back to you and bite you in the behind in the long run. It's called KARMA.

killing people as revenge is kindof really very much BAD !!!

i guess id kill someone for defense if there was no other option but mostley id like to stay murder-free ^.^ lol

[SIZE=7pt]waaait ! I change my answer :)[/SIZE]

yes, i would, only if it was out of self defense or to save someone. Picture this

Your walking down the street and you see a mom walking with her two kids, one a baby, in a stroller, the other about 5 years old. Suddenly a man comes up and shoots the mom, he than grabs the 5 year old and hold the gun to his head,

You notice that he dropped a gun when he was walking, a few feet away from you.

I suck at stories,

but what would you do?

(In reply to shadesofgrey.xx)

In my opinion, speaking in terms of self defense, the taking of another life should be avoided unless it's absolutely necessary. Self defense has many levels. If someone at school came up to you and started to hit you repeatedly, would you take the knife out of your pocket and stab him? Of course not! Why? Because it's not absolutely necessary that his life needs to be taken to save your own. If that means that you'll have to endure some bumps and bruises, and in some cases, worse, then so be it. If there is no way of escape and your own, or, God forbid, someone else's life, is at stake, then yes, I think it's acceptable, but if there is some way, any way, to escape without having to take another life, then no, I don't think that it would be right.

Regards,

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back