What is an appropriate age to have a pet?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*Topic moved to '(Non)TamaTalk'* (assuming we are talking about real creatures and not virtual pets) ;)

I don't think there's an appropriate age. It's all about responsibility and good sense. Everyone's different.

Some ppl can care for and handle a pet much younger than 13yrs; plenty of adults still don't have the smarts to be a responsible pet owner.

If you are a child or teenager then you'll probably need a responsible adult to help you care for your pet - help with handling, cleaning, feeding and training where necessary - and more importantly to pay the bills for food, veterinary care, equipment, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a hampster when i was like 10 or 11, I took great care of it. she had a bad eye infection that surprisingly did not lower her lifespan at all.

so yeah it really depends on what pet it is and how responsible you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd say any age, i had a cat since i was 1 yr old (sadly he passed away almost a year ago)

but they are always good to teach you responsibilities

I think it's just how responsible and how willing you are to care for your pet.

When I was 9, I got a Senegal Parrot for a pet and he loved me a lot. But I never got a chance to hold him. :(

Although age is important too, cause some young kids don't know how to behave in front of a pet(such as a dog) and can accidentley provoke them and whatnot.

Like TM said, there's no limit. It's when you're ready.

I'm 12, and share an adult cat with my brother. I also have a 6 year old dog, and a 7mnth kitten that I have under my care, and are perfectly capable.

And no, I do not pay for care on my own, btw

I think the most apropriate age is around 13
Depends what type of pet. Mainstream pets such as dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, goldfish, budgies and hamsters should be fine for anyone over 5. More exotic animals that are more difficult to keep, such as tropical fish, amphibians, reptiles, foxes, ferrets, hedgehogs and some types of birds are better for people 13-16+, depending on the pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back