What is your religeon?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a methodist! I LOVE God and believe it is very wrong to not believe in God! Why would we be here if there was no god? What made us then huh? I don't believe in withcraft and wizardry, evelution or the big bang theory. If you don't believe in God try pray to Him and He will bless you and help you have a better life and point you in the right direction. I am 100% Christian and would never regret it or say I am not! If someone was to say, "If you believe in God I''ll shoot you...." My reply would be "You'll just have to shoot me!" Anyone who doesn't belive in Him.... I will pray for you and remeber no matter how much you think you are unloved no matter how many bad things youve done or dont even believe someone still loves you and that person is God.
Um, I found this, as Liongirl said, to be slightly offensive, I dont like the way you read into peoples religeons, and you shouldnt stuff your religeon down others throats. The part I highlighted, I feel was directed at me, so here I go again.

I do believe in god, but I also believe in a 'Godess'. In my religeon we believe that the God and Godess represent like, night and day. opposites. So I do believe in God, but have my own beliefs as well.

Wicca isnt Witchcraft. They can be considered similar, but they are not the same thing. Wizardry, I dont think is even a religeon (if it is, sry! i didnt know!) and is more like something you would read in Harry Potter. All religeons have a purpose, and God tells to preach the word, but not shove it down your throat.

I am christain. But alot of christains in my family think that Harry Potter is bad because it has like witchcraft and wizardry I think there is nothing wrong with it I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books and movies.

Christian. I don't have a problem with other religions(unless their mission is to kill or something bad like that), but everyone at my school thinks they are "Atheist" and honestly I think that alot of people are "atheist" because its part of the punk-ey style, or so they think.
Maybe there Atheist becuase they dont belive in "god".

Im not Atheist becuase im Punk-ish

Im like that anyway :)

Christian. I don't have a problem with other religions(unless their mission is to kill or something bad like that), but everyone at my school thinks they are "Atheist" and honestly I think that alot of people are "atheist" because its part of the punk-ey style, or so they think.
Way to generalise.

Not everyone follows a style, just because they don't belive.

I am searching for something to believe in. Something to trust. I grew up in a Catholic school and I want nothing to do with it anymore. I sincerely hope I will find something to believe in.

God and Allah are not equivilant at all. They have different personallity traits. For example, God reveals himself to us from the Bible- Allah would never do and has never done any such thing. Allah reveals his will, not himself.

I have a question for a Muslim not as an attack, but I'm wondering what your view on this passage is.

Volume 8, Book 82, Number 794

"Once Allah's Apostle went out to eh Musalla (to offer the prayer) o 'Id-al-adha or Al-Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you women." they asked, "Why is it so, O Allah's Apostle?" He replied, "You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. a cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you." the women asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?" He said, "Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?" They replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?" The women replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her religion."

So there are more women in hell and women are of not as smart as men?

- (55:56) "In them will be Maidens, chaste, restraining their glances, whom no man or Jinn before them has touched." (56:35-38) "We have created their companions of special creation. And made them virgin pure and undefiled, - Beloved by nature, equal in age, - For the Companions of the Right Hand," (78:31-33) "Verily for the Righteous there will be a fulfillment of the heart's desires; Gardens enclosed, and grapevines, and voluptuous women of equal age,"

Beautiful virgins await Muslim men in paradise for their sensual gratification. Comments?

4:11 "Allah directs you as regards your Children's inheritance: to the male, a portion equal to that of two females: if only daughters, two or more, their share is two-thirds of the inheritance; if only one, her share is a half,"

So as a female, I am not given as much inheritance as my brother?

Other things such as men are allowed to beat women ""Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all)," (4:34)", men are able to marry up for four women but not women and the whole "kill the imbisils" deal just doesn't make sense to me.

Could you explain these things?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Christian, but after reading the evolution theories and anti religion point of views, I'm having my doubts which is bad on my part.
Religion is a confusing and scary matter in my opinion.
[Double post but I think it's on a totally different matter so it's all kay. Plus I overwhelmed the other one. xp]

It's okay to have doubts- it even says somewhere in the Bible to NOT question makes you a fool- but in turn, you'd be foolish if you don't try to find the answers and go on from there.

There is a lot of evolution that is true- it's sad to see so many get turned off when they hear 'evolution' because all they think about it 'from goo to you by way of the zoo' kind. Species do change, look at dogs and cats. Obviously, natural selection does happen, we have vestigial structures, and things adapt with eachother [like the humming bird and the flower]. I do not believe that we came from random chance for lack of evidence, the lack of chance and I choose to believe I am worth more than 'chance' and 'random' upon my findings.

Don't get confused, there are some very valid and very true parts to the theory of evolution and what not but as a Christian AND one who is all science-ee and what not, I do not believe that I came from random life.

[if you have any questions, pm me and I'll try to help ya out. I'd love to hear from you because I like to find out answers myself. I usually learn more anyway! ^_^ ]

I have a question for a Muslim not as an attack, but I'm wondering what your view on this passage is.......Could you explain these things?
I edited that quote right down, cause I just wanted to say that I'm not a Muslim, but in every holy book - including the Bible, Koran, etc. we can find passages to question or confirm our beliefs.

It's a little dangerous to question something when you are looking at an ancient text from a modern day view point (based on points of law rather than religious law) and looking at a religious teaching from a Christian view point.

Men more intelligent than women? That's discrimination in today's world, but those views are not exclusive to Islam and are peppered all through Christianity :)

There are probably similar references to men being superior to women if we looked at The Bible (for example).

Why (in the past) were women traditionally expected to wear a hat when going to a Christian Church on Sundays? Because they were deemed not as worthy as men and should cover their heads (and their beauty) and show humility before God. Men were expected to remove their hats to show their respect for God. Because Christians believed that men were better than women and that women were inherantly "flighty". They couldn't help it, just the way they were made... :D Why did women only get the vote recently in the UK (since the early 1900s - only 100 years?) Because in the past they were not considered intelligent enough to make a decision about which politician was most appropriate for their nation.

Likewise, equality in inheritance is something very recent in the West (and not a religious law).

It is not so very long ago that many Christian families only allowed sons to inherit. If the family had only daughters, then the inheritance was passed to next closest male relation. Women were expected to marry well, because they would get the benefit of their husbands inheritance. Most Western countries don't now follow Religious law, and the law stays outside that arena. But many other countries outside the West, follow religious law.

The Muslims version of what paradise is like might be different from the Christian version, but what is described is a wonderful place full of your hearts desires as your reward for leading a life according to the will of Allah.

In other words, good, nice, well-behaved girls who are modest, pretty and have never been with another man will be the companions of those men who follow Allah's will and lead a good life according to his teachings. This will be men's reward.

The last paragraph, I don't really understand your question.

I didn't see anything about marrying 4 women or about killing imbeciles.

But when I read that passage, I understand it as meaning:

Men have a duty to protect and care for women because they are physically stronger and because they provide for them (the man is the bread winner in the family, if you like - in modern day parlance).

A Good Woman has a duty to acknowledge the basic truth of this relationship and support her husband (because it is in her own interests to do so) and not to allow herself to be defiled by another man who is not her husband. Be faithful.

If men suspect their wives of unfaithful or inappropriate behaviour, Allah urges men to attempt reconcilliation by telling them off - and explaining what they've done wrong. If that doesn't work, then men should refuse to sleep with their wives, and if all else fails to beat them lightly to bring them to their senses. He also directs men to acknowledge genuine repentence and forgive them and not to seek revenge on them for their misdeeds or hold a grudge about it.

As I said, I am not a Muslim, but there are good moral teachings to be read into those passages, just as we find good moral teachings in the Bible.

The danger is taking paragraphs out of context and putting a different interpretation on them because of the way we have been brought up and the teachings we have heard.

Ehh, I thought I was Christian, but I have my doubts.

I never talk about God, and when someone does, I get annoyed at them, and I highly doubt he is real anymore.

I'd have to say I'm Agnostic.

- xd3vilx

I hope I can convert soon, but I need to get my dad to agree. He is kindof against it. My mom is for the idea though, she wants to join me. I like the idea of converting to Wicca because it is what I believe in. Now I am asking for opinion, What do you think of my converting to Wicca?

I hope I can convert soon, but I need to get my dad to agree. He is kindof against it. My mom is for the idea though, she wants to join me. I like the idea of converting to Wicca because it is what I believe in. Now I am asking for opinion, What do you think of my converting to Wicca?
If it is something you can believe in and find strength in, then I think it is a great idea. If you wholly believe in your heart that it is right for you then I dont see why you would hesitate. Converting is a big thing. Accepting a religion is acknowledging that it will have a part in your life and that you agree with its teachings and practices is a big step.

So, if that is what you want I say go for it! I envy you for having found something to trust. I hope I find myself a form of spirituality too.

I am Catholic/Christian. I only got baptized Catholic last year, I was Anglican before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back