What Is Your Religion?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an atheist. I wasn't raised any particular religion because my parents believed I should choose, and they're different religions themselves. They don't argue about it, they just respect each other's opinions, and that's what I try to do as well. I'm friends with people from lots of different religions, but they are all nice people, so the fact that they believe in different things to me doesn't matter. :)

Srs Bsns Caev Post

Well, I don't want to sound like a little pain here, but who are we to declare what is logical or not? There could be a "unicorn" beside us, but perhaps on a parralell plain of existence. I do understand your reasoning and point of view, however, claiming every other religion to be irrational isn't really logical itself. There has been evidence uncovered, much of it not accessible to the public. For example, a history book is most likely true no? Well, you don't know that. It could have had false information implanted in it, but there has been no evidence found to disprove it. So based on what we have found, that textbook is 100% correct. It's the same with the bible. It's just a history book. There may have been evidence found to disprove it, but there is an equal amount of evidence to support it. That's where the conflict comes in. I assume you became an atheist to avoid this conflict, and that desiscion is perfectly rational, but there are some people who believe the supporting evidence counteracts most of the disproving evidence. So who are you to tell them they are wrong? Do you know FOR SURE that there is truly nothing? A tiny, tiny spec of dust in out infinite universe decides that every religion but atheism is wrong? I don't think so. I am firmly scientologist, and not believing in a deity myself, I still think it is wrong to call all the other religions irrational. Everybody is entitled to their own belief, even you. Just don't go around telling everybody they are wrong, okay?

Doesn't need to be any evidence to suggest that they don't exist, it's the job of the person or group making the claim (in this case, Religous groups) to provide evidence that would suggest their claim (their various Religous beliefs) is true. Logically, you would believe in something because evidence has been provided. Evolution, for example. Huge amounts of evidence has been found that would suggest that Evolution is true. Therefore, it makes logical sense to believe in Evolution. Unfortunately, a disturbing number of people aren't logical.

On the other hand, it's illogical to believe in something despite having no evidence that it's actually true, and only changing this belief if and when evidence comes along that suggests it really isn't true. This really makes no sense, because you're believing something just because you can't prove it doesn't exist.

Suppose I claim there is a Pink Unicorn right beside you. Can't see it? That's because it's invisible. It should also be noted that you can't smell this Unicorn, you can't hear it and you can't touch it. It leaves no trace either and cannot do anything to the world. Because of this, there is no way to disprove it.

Logically, we can assume that it is extremely unlikely there is a Unicorn beside you. Can I disprove it? No. But just because I cannot disprove it does not mean it is there. You probably don't believe the Unicorn is there, but if I take the original paragraph and change all the references to a Unicorn to your God of choice, suddenly you believe in it.

Believe in what you want, but learn to think honestly before you make a choice.

I'm Non-Denominational Christian.

I was raised Baptist, but, got tired of the strict rules Baptist churches often have in regards to worship & praise. (Not to mention the fact that denominations are man-made, not something God originally intended to be.)

I'm also a PK, so, that caused conflict.

Personally I see myself as a little like Pi Patel from life of Pi :) Although strictly speaking you can't technically 'belong' to more than one religion, I think that all of them have a lot in common and so many valuable things that they can teach us. So instead of belonging to one, I'd say I'm an agnostic who just uses what I learn from them throughout my life. For example, I like that in Buddhism you have an eight fold path which reminds you that if you make the wrong choice, there will be another way with you to find your way back onto the right track, which suits me better than asking a God for forgiveness. Meanwhile all religions teach us to love even our enemies and treat the world with respect.

I don't believe that there is one true religion, and religious intolerance is something that really frustrates me, whether it's atheists who attack religion or religions attacking each other. With reference to the former, religion definitely has a place in our society and in some ways I think it'd be pretty hard to not at least have something to believe in, even if it's not a god but rather a sense that something more powerful than you will be there through your darkest moments to lead you out of it. As for the latter, it'd be really nice if every religious person took an approach similar to Hinduism; you cannot convert to Hinduism (although you can follow it), you have to be born into it, but they recognise that religion is good, and so encourage you to seek some other religion to follow if you want to physically belong to one. In this way they show that we can embrace and encourage other religions as well as our own. From what I've read and the people that I've met, it has seemed to me that the far eastern religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and also Judaism) seem a lot less preoccupied with the matter of whose god is the 'real' god and whose religion is the 'true' religion than religions coming from further west, and I think a lot of people could learn from their ideas that faith and hope and love are good in any form, no matter who teaches them to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I would say I'm an open-minded Christian... I believe in Jesus but I don't necessarily agree with everything in the Bible.

I don't have a specific religion now, though I was raised Catholic.

Today I celebrate the "commercial" holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc) in a non-religious way, though I keep a Shinto shrine in my house, which I use for "prayer", though I don't truly believe in any specific gods. But, I've had to replace the traditional incense with an unscented candle, because incense is bad for the animals I keep. x3 (I hope the 'spirits' do not mind!)

I was never raised as a specific religion. Most of my family do not believe, but I personally do not have any idea, I find some of true to a point, but some thing's like Adam and Eve, I find hard to believe, why would there be so much suffering if there was a God? I personally believe that everything that happen's to you in life is written out for you, like your following one huge story. I also am kind of scared of the concept of going to hell, and everything about Sins. Surely if God loved you he would forgive you for all the sins that you have committed during your lifetime.

Why would there be so much suffering if there was a God?
Consider this: if there were no bad things in the world, how would we have any indication of what's good? How would we know what feeling happy is like without having felt sadness to compare it with?

I'm not sure if there is a god, but I don't believe that the suffering is an argument against his existence. Besides, if we were happy all of the time, why would we need to have faith in anything? Religion teaches how to live through pain and adversity, and how to deal with people who don't treat others as they should, all negative things.

I'm non-religious.

I'm not an atheist, and I'm not agnostic, I'm just plain non-religious. I don't have anything against those who are either, it's just not a part of my lifestyle. I do have a lot of things to say on this topic, but as the question is "What is your religion", and not "What do you think about religion", I will refrain from doing so. :)

I'm a Christian, but am fascinated by all religions!

It's amazing how nearly every culture has developed a set of beliefs. :)

I wouldn't say I'm an atheist any more...but I'm very far from believing in any particular religion. If there is no proof and religion relies on faith, it's not possible to know which belief I'm supposed to have faith in. So I've just decided to have faith in the fact that I should be a good person and I will benefit from it in the end, because that's what all the religions say.

I wouldn't say I'm an atheist any more...but I'm very far from believing in any particular religion. If there is no proof and religion relies on faith, it's not possible to know which belief I'm supposed to have faith in. So I've just decided to have faith in the fact that I should be a good person and I will benefit from it in the end, because that's what all the religions say.
That's very nice to hear! I would recommend the Bible. :)

You don't have to specifically belong to a group of Christians, just BE Christian, as it seems the Bible says you have to.

I would like to still mention that the Bible says that you are not saved by works alone, but by faith in God and Jesus.

Since doing good works the way God wants it, is fruit that comes automatically when you have faith.

Why the Bible, since it is infallible. Other religions are, but not the Bible. I would recommend reading this: https://lifeshandbook.wikidot.com/why-believe and perhaps some other articles on that site, so you'll have enough knowledge about it you can choose not to believe in it or not.

You don't have to specifically belong to a group of Christians, just BE Christian, as it seems the Bible says you have to.

I would like to still mention that the Bible says that you are not saved by works alone, but by faith in God and Jesus.

Since doing good works the way God wants it, is fruit that comes automatically when you have faith.

Why the Bible, since it is infallible. Other religions are, but not the Bible. I would recommend reading this: https://lifeshandbook.wikidot.com/why-believe and perhaps some other articles on that site, so you'll have enough knowledge about it you can choose not to believe in it or not.
Now I don't want to get into an argument... but it's far from infallible. And should you really be telling her to look at the Bible, even though she's just said that she's far from believing in anything... and, I get your point, she doesn't have to believe in christianity to be a good christian, but I don't think having morals and being a good person is at all related to religion... she can be a good person without the Bible, especially because some of the themes in the Bible actually represent rather the opposite of good morals.Again, not trying to argue, this is just my thoughts on the matter. Religion's a very touching subject, isn't it?

The Bible is so far from infallible it's not even funny. There are a ton of contradictions, as this image shows.

https://tinyurl.com/alexanmir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back