What Is Your Religion?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After researching religions in school. And using to find which one suits me the most I chose originals Buddhism, I never believed in deities, but reincarnation and reaching nirvana by following the 8 truths? Made sense to me, you live your life to your best no judgment there's no sin, you can love what you love, you can enjoy life. For me it's one of those religions that doesn't seem like a cult and trying to brainwash people all to ignore the world around them. I'm pro science so... Most religions make no sense to me. But Buddhism doesn't go against what I believe to be true, it complements it.

A person should not look at religion the same way as choosing a car, or a house.

There is only one religion, since all of them contradict and it's a person's duty to use honesty to find the right one.

Last edited by a moderator:
A person should not look at religion the same way as choosing a car, or a house.

There is only one religion, since all of them contradict and it's a person's duty to use honesty to find the right one.
correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you christian? last time i checked your religion was the one that contradicts itself over and over again.

who are you to say that there is only one religion?

A polite reminder of previous moderating comments posted in this topic:

This is your last warning guys. Please keep to the topic AND a level discussion.

To note, the topic I think was suppose to be more relaxed. (see the first posts)
It's disappointing that some participants in this thread have just plain ignored this post by SailorRosette.

If you intend to reply in this thread make sure it follows site rules regarding posts on TamaTalk - all posts should be:

friendly, respectful and with the intention of positive contribution towards TamaTalk.

(in case that is not clear - insulting someone or their beliefs, being rude or confrontational about what they have said in the topic is unacceptable, negative behaviour and applies to comments made by several members in the last several pages of this topic)

This topic is in the Seriously Non TamaTalk forum - so all discussions must be mature and sensible - no exceptions, no excuses -

(everyone feels strongly about their own point of view - it's not an excuse to ignore site rules regarding posting behaviour).

The topic under discussion is "What is your Religion?" - please everyone - stay on topic and post replies within the rules for this site and this forum area.
Please... let's not go down this path again - no rude, snide or confrontational remarks; no more excuses or exceptions.

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you christian? last time i checked your religion was the one that contradicts itself over and over again.

who are you to say that there is only one religion?
No, it doesn't contradict at all, many verse confirm each other actually.

Of course some may seem at first glance contradicting, but upon further examination(like looking at the original text) you will find that the Bible doesn't contradict. :)

More: https://lifeshandbook.wikidot.com/why-believe (see the Bible section).

A polite reminder of previous moderating comments posted in this topic: Please... let's not go down this path again - no rude, snide or confrontational remarks; no more excuses or exceptions.
just a suggestion, if you don't want confrontational discussion maybe don't allow threads with religion as the base topic? it's something that causes alot of conflict in society so to think that it isn't going to happen on a forum is just silly.

You can have a very controversial topic and still discuss about it in a non rude way. I may have gone too far sometimes, and if I did, I'm sorry.

Also on a forum, you can think a few times over what you have to say, and don't post something is a rage which is more likely to happen in real life.

just a suggestion, if you don't want confrontational discussion maybe don't allow threads with religion as the base topic? it's something that causes alot of conflict in society so to think that it isn't going to happen on a forum is just silly.
Unfortunately you've misunderstood the purpose of the posts. Their intentions are not to show everyone that we believe that conflicts between members over a contentious subject like Religion will not happen.
This forum's site rules and this Seriously Non TamaTalk forum area require that discussions should not be confrontational and that it is for mature and sensible discussions.

There are plenty of members who have demonstrated that they are capable of participating in this thread and posting thoughtful and considered replies and I don't see why they should be denied an opportunity to explore ideas and conflicting opinions with each other.

Sadly, there are just a few who have not yet developed the capacity for mature debate and they sometimes need a reminder.

I am an Atheist but my entire family on both sides are Christians. I don't hate anyone with a religion as it is their personal beliefs and opinions. I do hate, however, people who try to stuff their beliefs down the throats of people (especially children) and are 100% sure that they are right and wont even give people with other religions a chance and try to use their religion as an excuse for everything.

I'm a Christian. I believe everything in the bible, period.
Personal question, feel free to not answer. Do you wear jeans/trousers? If so then:

Deuteronomy 22:5

“A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God."

In no way am I saying that you shouldn't obey the bible, but some of it is... strange.

Personal question, feel free to not answer. Do you wear jeans/trousers? If so then:

Deuteronomy 22:5

“A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God."

In no way am I saying that you shouldn't obey the bible, but some of it is... strange.
You must understand what the meaning here is: A woman should not dress as a man or vice versa

In this time a woman wearing a trouser is not her on purpose trying to look as a man. It's just the fashion of this time.

It's just a moral rule actually. Don't dress as the opposite gender, because you're faking who you are. So this rule is for transvestism(if I am not mistaken with my word).

You must understand what the meaning here is: A woman should not dress as a man or vice versa

In this time a woman wearing a trouser is not her on purpose trying to look as a man. It's just the fashion of this time.

It's just a moral rule actually. Don't dress as the opposite gender, because you're faking who you are. So this rule is for transvestism(if I am not mistaken with my word).
Bit of a harsh statement to transgendered people, don't you think?
And yes, 'transvestite' is the correct word; someone who dresses up as the opposite sex. It doesn't necessarily imply that a transvestite is also transgender but many transgender people will wear clothes of the opposite sex.

but it doesn't say 'a woman must not dress as the man' it says 'A woman shall not wear a man's garment' which means she must not wear what a man wears.

Deautronomy 22:11

"You shall not wear cloth of wool and linen mixed together." There is no message in this one then. It is clearly saying you can't wear clothes that are of mixed fabrics.

but it doesn't say 'a woman must not dress as the man' it says 'A woman shall not wear a man's garment' which means she must not wear what a man wears.

Deautronomy 22:11

"You shall not wear cloth of wool and linen mixed together." There is no message in this one then. It is clearly saying you can't wear clothes that are of mixed fabrics.
That one is from Leviticus. A lot of Leviticus commands are traditional and ceremonial. They were God's (only) Holy people back then and they had to stand out, being disallowed a lot of things that would make them be like others. Most of these rules don't count anymore today, since it says it was specifically for them, and because now God has not limited His people to the Israelites. ;)

That one is from Leviticus. A lot of Leviticus commands are traditional and ceremonial. They were God's (only) Holy people back then and they had to stand out, being disallowed a lot of things that would make them be like others. Most of these rules don't count anymore today, since it says it was specifically for them, and because now God has not limited His people to the Israelites. ;)
I have the feeling you think I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've been raised to believe everything from the bible, went to a catholic primary school and I am attending a catholic high school. I didn't say that you were to obey that verse. But it is stupid, does God not believe everyone should, and is, equal? Then why try to make his '(only) Holy people' different through strict commands?

I'm not saying that this wasn't true to some people back at the time of this 'rule'. I am just saying how stupid they are.

Edit: Sorry -Ra-. I really need to stay calm...

Guys, I know some opinions clash and cause tension, but please try to keep it nice.

Ra,

I have the feeling you think I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've been raised to believe everything from the bible, went to a catholic primary school and I am attending a catholic high school. I didn't say that you were to obey that verse. But it is stupid, does God not believe everyone should, and is, equal? Then why try to make his '(only) Holy people' different through strict commands?

I'm not saying that this wasn't true to some people back at the time of this 'rule'. I am just saying how stupid they are.

Edit: Sorry -Ra-. I really need to stay calm...
God gave everyone a chance, because He was there at the start. But all turned against Him, so He said He chose them not because they were the greatest, because they were the smallest(!) and He had made an oath to their forefathers to deliver them. And it is also from this people that Jesus came. God chose this group, and it is also because of this group that Christianity was spread worldwide.

And God continues to bless Israel today. They still remain His chosen people.(Not meaning we can't be saved).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back