What Is Your Religion?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about the Bible is that there is no one true interpretation of it. Every Christian person has a different understanding of it. I think it's perfectly fine to believe in whatever you want to believe in, so long as it does not hurt other people or stops them from having certain rights (gay marriage being an important example). You can judge a person however you'd like as well, but to tell them that their choices or decisions is wrong based on your own understanding of the Bible is unfair.

The thing about the Bible is that there is no one true interpretation of it. Every Christian person has a different understanding of it. I think it's perfectly fine to believe in whatever you want to believe in, so long as it does not hurt other people or stops them from having certain rights (gay marriage being an important example). You can judge a person however you'd like as well, but to tell them that their choices or decisions is wrong based on your own understanding of the Bible is unfair.
No, that is not true. The Bible literally says it's wrong, it's not just my understanding. And I *must* according to the Bible say it's wrong. ;)

No, that is not true. The Bible literally says it's wrong, it's not just my understanding. And I *must* according to the Bible say it's wrong. ;)
You can think something is wrong but that does not mean 100% it is wrong. The bible also says mixing seeds is wrong but farmers still do it and no one bats an eye.

You can think something is wrong but that does not mean 100% it is wrong. The bible also says mixing seeds is wrong but farmers still do it and no one bats an eye.
Again, this is Leviticus and this rule belongs to the traditional and ceremonial laws. You probably know this, but I'm pointing this out to the rest which may have now have maybe been given (falsely) a bad impression of Chrisitanity.

But this is a thing I don't understand, literally everyone's interpretation of the bible is different (bar the fundamentalists), sometimes to the point where what they are following is nearly a different religion to others. To think that you have the right to state that your interpretation of the bible is the one true interpretation is just worrying, if I'm being totally honest.

And homosexuality is mentioned 7 times in the bible, and as far as I'm aware it's barely mentioned at all in the new testament. There are other mentions of prohibited actions in the bible that often go ignored despite being mentioned more often than homosexuality, and not just in leviticus.

But this is a thing I don't understand, literally everyone's interpretation of the bible is different (bar the fundamentalists), sometimes to the point where what they are following is nearly a different religion to others. To think that you have the right to state that your interpretation of the bible is the one true interpretation is just worrying, if I'm being totally honest.

And homosexuality is mentioned 7 times in the bible, and as far as I'm aware it's barely mentioned at all in the new testament. There are other mentions of prohibited actions in the bible that often go ignored despite being mentioned more often than homosexuality, and not just in leviticus.
Hmm, actually most (true) christians generally agree. Since we all get the Holy Spirit in us which kinda clarifies things to us, and we use the Bible to check it to be sure. But some things, like you say another christian "branch" may be too far, because it contradicts (clearly) with the Bible.

Well the OT has 4 and the NT 3. This may not be that much, but it definitely is enough to make clear it is not a mistake and clearly is a sin. Also other verses that talk about man and female but not about homosexual couples is also a sign against it.

You may not value this too, but I believe it is also the Holy Spirit inside me that confirms this is a sin. Homosexuality, in it's full form, brings forth death just as the Bible says sin does.

I seriously don't understand how it could possibly bring forth death. It used to be considered wrong as it was considered a mental illness but that idea has been gone for a long time. Sins seem like quite a weird concept to me.

The most important part of any religion? Respect.

Respect is a noun meaning: (courtesy of Merriam-Webster)

2. an act of giving particular attention; consideration.

a : high or special regard; esteem
We respect something or someone by being kind to them and letting them make their own decisions.

From a Christian perspective, we should respect everything that exists because it is all part of God. Not just living things, but also inanimate objects. If we disrespect something, we are, in some way, disrespecting God.

From a non-Christian (also from a nonreligious) perspective, we should respect everything and everyone around, because we're all in this together. Respect is important because it is the only way to live a harmonious life. If you can't respect others, how would you be happy and love yourself?

We should respect other people, animals, plants, the earth, and ourselves.

You're right. However, you have mentioned the word "traditional" several times in the past few pages, and I think I can use that word to back up what I'm trying to say as well. It was a common belief back in the days of the creation of the Bible, but society or a majority of society has progressed since then. It may be in the Bible, but new opinions accepting and embracing homosexuality are becoming common in some Christian followers. I have no doubt that this will only continue.

There are many traditional rules and laws in the Bible that are just incompatible with today's society.

No, we can't change the law or add to it. That's a sin the Pharisees were practicing(who were seen to be a very religious group).

Through Jesus some things were changed, or better "fulfilled", as he says it himself. And with that came that we didn't have to continue doing the ceremonial and traditional laws Moses had given to the people(where the law beasically was: Don't be like the unbelievers. It still counts, but we don't have to keep on following those traditional laws, which don't make sense anymore now.).

But the things about homosexuality for example were't statutes based of that law, they were law themselves and we cannot change them. ;)

Again, this is Leviticus and this rule belongs to the traditional and ceremonial laws. You probably know this, but I'm pointing this out to the rest which may have now have maybe been given (falsely) a bad impression of Chrisitanity.
Of course, I would hate for people to have a bad impression of any religion as it is your beliefs and everyone should be allowed to believe in whatever they want. I'd hope that you wouldn't think I am disrespecting you in anyway, in fact I think highly of you for defending your religion. I was just pointing out that not everyone has the same beliefs as you or me which means you can't say something is completely wrong, whether it is wrong in your or my eyes is a different story.

I'm an Egyptian Pagan.

I summon gods and goddesses, worship, work with them to pathfind in my life :D

Used to be Catholic, but I found my own path.

In response to posts about the Bible...I read a bit of it the other day to see what it was like. What I found was something like this: "If you do *something* you must wash yourself and you will be unclean for the rest of the day. If you do *something very similar* you must wash yourself and you will be unclean for the rest of the day" and it went on about the same thing for a page. Can someone tell me where I could find something more interesting or important? I think it might help me understand these discussions a bit better.

That's Leviticus, and that doesn't apply no more today. I would try to explain it all, but it's not so simple.

Basically, the Bible belongs all together. It'd probably be best to read it all :p

However, I guess you won't and so I'll say some places you can go to:

Old Testament:

1. The creation(Genesis 1)

2. The flood(Genesis 6)

3. The ten commandments(Exodus 20)

It is also important to know if anyone sinned they had to go to the Tabernacle(a special tent, that God gave precise instructions to Moses how to build) where God rested in. There they would offer animals for their sins, so their own blood didn't have to be spilt.

The whole tabernacle actually presents Jesus, but that's really to complex to explain.

New Testament:

4.The birth of Jesus(Matthew 1)

Basically anything in the NT actually :p

I'm curious, by saying Leviticus (from the Old Testament) laws no longer apply today, what would your stance be on those who base their arguments with quotations from the Old Testament?

Ra,
I did not say anyone should ignore what the Old Testament says, but it's just in Leviticus mainly they talk about sacrifices(how to do it, which animal, etc..).

And some ceremonials laws too that were only for Israelites.

But now Jesus died as our sacrifice, He fulfilled the law and it is no longer any use to sacrifice animals.

Please read this: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews%2010:1-18&version=NASB

(It's a Bible passage)

And this: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians%203:10-13&version=NIV

:)

I'm Christian, specifically a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back