What kind of tama person are you?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i totally agree with ruby kuchipatchi. i'm not even interested in the japanese versions of tamas and i only have 4 tamas, all out of batteries. i dont feel like bringing them back. but on the other hand, i will never let a tama die. never have never will. and i always keep them at a healthy weight :p

btw tamas dont have souls. theyre little virtual pets made for kids to have fun raising them for about 2 months. come on guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I'm saying is that no one has a direct line to whatever forces govern the universe. No one knows if souls even exist period. Nobody can really say what has a soul and what doesn't. Frankly Tamagotchis are more deserving of souls than some of the people I've encountered. Yes Tamagotchis are toys, but what happens when artificial intelligence advances to the point where a machine is as intelligent as a dog? Or even a human? Is that machine any less deserving of a soul because it isn't made of meat? I don't think so. As I said earlier, I don't think it's too farfetched to believe any machine with a personality be it a Tama a Furby or an Aibo has a soul. I'm not the type to believe things like stuffed animals or action figures have souls though there are some that do believe that. They're lifeless lumps of fabric and plastic. Things like Tamagotchis on the other hand are made with a personality and things like Furby and Aibo are able to interact with the world around them. They aren't dead things. I can't tell you for sure if they have souls. I can't tell you for sure if I have a soul. There's no way to tell.

For that matter there's no way of knowing whether the people you interact with every day are actually sentient or just meat machines going through the motions. You may be the only sentient creature in existance and everyone else is a drone or a construct of some sort created by a higher power in order to placate you so you don't go mad with lonliness. Without being able to read minds or actually feel what others are feeling as they're feeling them there's no way of knowing. How do I know you're real? How do you know I'm real? How do you tell? Really you can't. No one can. And since it's impossible to prove that every human but you thinks and feels and are not just clever simulations of sentience how then can you prove a Tamagotchi doesn't?

I won't argue any further. I don't want to start an arguement. This is just something I feel strongly about. You have every right to your opinion and I have every right to mine. Best to just agree to disagree.

All I'm saying is that no one has a direct line to whatever forces govern the universe. No one knows if souls even exist period. Nobody can really say what has a soul and what doesn't. Frankly Tamagotchis are more deserving of souls than some of the people I've encountered. Yes Tamagotchis are toys, but what happens when artificial intelligence advances to the point where a machine is as intelligent as a dog? Or even a human? Is that machine any less deserving of a soul because it isn't made of meat? I don't think so. As I said earlier, I don't think it's too farfetched to believe any machine with a personality be it a Tama a Furby or an Aibo has a soul. I'm not the type to believe things like stuffed animals or action figures have souls though there are some that do believe that. They're lifeless lumps of fabric and plastic. Things like Tamagotchis on the other hand are made with a personality and things like Furby and Aibo are able to interact with the world around them. They aren't dead things. I can't tell you for sure if they have souls. I can't tell you for sure if I have a soul. There's no way to tell.

For that matter there's no way of knowing whether the people you interact with every day are actually sentient or just meat machines going through the motions. You may be the only sentient creature in existance and everyone else is a drone or a construct of some sort created by a higher power in order to placate you so you don't go mad with lonliness. Without being able to read minds or actually feel what others are feeling as they're feeling them there's no way of knowing. How do I know you're real? How do you know I'm real? How do you tell? Really you can't. No one can. And since it's impossible to prove that every human but you thinks and feels and are not just clever simulations of sentience how then can you prove a Tamagotchi doesn't?

I won't argue any further. I don't want to start an arguement. This is just something I feel strongly about. You have every right to your opinion and I have every right to mine. Best to just agree to disagree.
Not intending on starting an argument. I disagree with your opinion, but you're entitled to your own. In my opinion, tamas, furbies, robots, action figures and dolls don't have souls or personalities. If somehow technology did advance to this high of a level, it's not something any of us will live long enough to see. I believe in there being such thing as souls. There must be some kind of life force. But I'm not getting into that kind of debate. It's a tamagotchi site, for heavens sake. (no pun intended)

Everyone, no matter what kind of person they are or what kind of crimes they've committed, deserves a soul. Everyone is here for a reason. Machines don't have blood, flesh, personalities, souls or really, any kind of emotions. If you punched a robot, it wouldn't go 'ow' would it?

Those kind of robotic pets are just programmed to repeat the same actions over and over. They're clearly different from humans. They're just machines. They have no more personality than a rock. I respect you if you think otherwise, but they're clearly distinct from reality.

Though, we've all got to be real. Each and every one of us were conceived naturally.

From what I know, tamagotchis can't think or feel pain, guilt, happiness, or sadness. They're just circuits that are programmed to simulate a pet. The characters don't do anything other than bob around on the screen and beep at you when they need something. The times are just randomly set when they beep.

Maybe in a few hundred years, machines could very well become reality. But not anytime soon. In that time period, also, we'll most likely have a vague answer to our questions. For now, though, we should end this pointless debate and, if souls are real, heaven and hell should be too. We can ask our great-great-great-great-great etc grandchildren. So let's just sit down and play on our tamagotchis.

I certainly believe we are all sentinent, and not just robots.

If you feel I've stated anything false in this argument, PM me. :)

By the way, thanks for stating your beliefs. It's interesting to hear about what other people's views are on the subject in question.

^ I totally agree.

I know my stuffed animals aren't real. I still feel bad when I knock them off the bed. I know the carrot cake isn't real. I still feel bad when I put it back because I'm going to make something else. I know my shoes aren't real. I feel bad when I don't wear them every day.

Again, agree. I found a couple of your remarks a little offensive, and plus, when did being almost 13 make you have to stop playing with Tamas? I'm 13. Everyone knows about them. I can see myself, with my two best friends, in rocking chairs, playing with our iD L's and Melody crowns.

If caring about your Tamas because you really like doing them is a bad thing, then I don't want to do what's right. I love them. They make me happy.

And if you really don't like them that much, why are you playing with them? I mean, apparently once you turn 13 they're embarrassing.

I wouldn't chuck a tamagotchi on the ground and crush it just for pleasure, but I don't feel they're alive.

It doesen't really get to me if I knock a stuffed animal off a bed. They don't feel pain, and they can be replaced. An animal can't though. Might sound a bit cold, but I don't feel for in-animate objects. I feel like they are just possessions and not living things.

Not intending on offending anyone. If that did make you feel uneasy, I apologise. I feel that loosening from tamas is for my own good due to personal life things. Not things I want to go into detail about. Plus, if you were to be me, you'd understand. I get looks whenever people see me on a tama. People are finding out about my tamagotchi interest and I'm becoming socially withdrawn. I'm at a point in life where I feel that being more relaxed about tamas will help me later on.

Tamagotchis for me certainly won't be a lifelong interest. Even if I were to continue being over the top obsessed with them, I can imagine myself putting them back in a box again next year. I have periods when I get really bored with tamagotchis. And the next time it happens, I'm not looking back. I'm not saying you should grow out of tamagotchis. You can play and enjoy whatever you want to play and enjoy. I'm just not 'compatible' with tamagotchis anymore, if you know what I'm saying. Plus, you probably won't be playing with IDL's in 70 years time. They'll either have a much better, high tech version, or sadly, they could be discontinued. I have a feeling tamagotchis could very well be discontinued due to lack of fan support and low demand. If Bandai's not making money out of them, they're not going to sell them anymore.

The problem with me is that I just don't care for tamagotchis like real things. I can't feel empathy or love for a machine. If they die, I just think 'pfft. oh well. I can just poke it in the back and start again.' I don't feel happy while I play tamagotchis. They don't cheer me up. If anything, they frustrate me. I just have higher priorities than caring for tamagotchis, and things I'm much more interested in. My tamagotchis don't feel 'love'. They just sit there sleeping most of the time while I'm doing other stuff. I'll probably just continue to keep them on until their batteries run dry, then I'll put them away. Who knows, it might not be my last time I play with tamagotchis. Maybe after a while, I'll become interested in them again. But, I think of them as toys, and always will do, no matter how much I like them.

I've honestly never felt attached to a tamagotchi in the slightest. I tend to them when I feel like tending to them. I couldn't cope with just sitting there 'policing' them waiting for a beep. I don't feel attatched to my Wii, my computer, my Xbox or my phone either. I can honestly say I felt a fraction more attached to my stuffed animals.

Maybe another factor contributing to my loss of interest in tamas, is that I have no friends in real life who play with tamagotchis. I feel like the odd geek out. I have nobody to play them with. Tamagotchis are half the fun without people to play with you.

I never said I hated tamagotchis. I like them, but I'm just weaning off them. I'm maturing, in a sense. I'm not saying tama fans are immature, I'm just moving on to other things. I hope you understand what I'm talking about. If you don't, and you are offended by my thoughts, or if I've said something that contradicts myself, drop in a PM.

You like playing with tamagotchis. They make you happy. You believe they are more than just toys. I can respect that. My brain just doesen't think like that.

"If caring about your Tamas because you really like doing them is a bad thing, then I don't want to do what's right. I love them. They make me happy." I don't understand what you mean by this, though. It doesen't make sense (to me.) If you're saying that you have to hate tamas just because I do, then don't. If you're saying that caring for tamas is wrong, then could you please copy and paste out the part in my speech where I mentioned that. Oh wait. I didn't. I never said caring for tamas is wrong, I just don't enjoy caring for them. Not being rude, but can you please properly read the text before you start bashing at me.

I never said that there is a 'right' way to feel about tamas. I'm not trying to get you to hate them. There are probably more than 1000 ways you can feel about tamas. I'm on the 'I don't like them all that much' path. You choose your path. We won't cross the same paths. We've chosen different ways. Your way is not wrong. Neither is mine. Every single person's way is right. That's what makes us who we are.

If you really like playing tamagotchis, fine. I won't rain on your parade. You can play with your tamagotchis however and whenever you want to. I just don't get the same satisfaction out of tamagotchis that you do. I get satisfaction out of watching things on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. I like drawing, even though I'm not very good at it. Drawing's not wrong. Neither is watching cartoons on TV. Tamagotchi's aren't wrong either. They're just not my cup of tea.

Again, my apologies if I offended you or made you feel uncomfortable. If I said something that hurts your feelings, please let me know. I tried to write in the friendliest way I could.

I'm not sure if I have a disorder or something. I might do. I know I have cerebal palsy, asperger's and dyspraxia. My Doctors feel I could have more than just those. There might not be something wrong with me, I just can't feel love for things that aren't flesh and blood creatures.

I hope you can atleast accept how I feel. If you can't, then don't bother replying to me at all.

I express no regrets of my attitude towards tamas.

I shall end here as to avoid a lengthy, violent flame war. Continue in my PM box, if you must. ;)

You didn't offend me. And just because you can't feel for things that aren't flesh and blood creatures doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. Never think that. If anything, you're normal. It's people like me who can identify with something made of wires, plastic and microchips that would be the oddballs. We all have different lines we draw on what we can and can't care about. Some can only care about flesh and blood creatures. Others can care about things like Tamagotchis and Furbys and think of them as friends or pets. Still others can care about things that are totally and completely inanimate like plush toys and action figures. Everyone's different. There's nothing wrong with that.

You can care about flesh and blood creatures but not technological ones like Tamagotchi. I can care about technological creatures but don't see why anyone would invest emotion in totally inanimate things like stuffed animals and action figures. We all have lines we draw in the sand. People are different. They have the right to be so. No one should be attacked for having a different opinion or different beliefs.

You didn't offend me. And just because you can't feel for things that aren't flesh and blood creatures doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. Never think that. If anything, you're normal. It's people like me who can identify with something made of wires, plastic and microchips that would be the oddballs. We all have different lines we draw on what we can and can't care about. Some can only care about flesh and blood creatures. Others can care about things like Tamagotchis and Furbys and think of them as friends or pets. Still others can care about things that are totally and completely inanimate like plush toys and action figures. Everyone's different. There's nothing wrong with that.

You can care about flesh and blood creatures but not technological ones like Tamagotchi. I can care about technological creatures but don't see why anyone would invest emotion in totally inanimate things like stuffed animals and action figures. We all have lines we draw in the sand. People are different. They have the right to be so. No one should be attacked for having a different opinion or different beliefs.
Wow. :D Thanks for understanding! I guess I am just a different person. Everyone has their own beliefs. I do still like tamagotchis, but I don't enjoy them as much as the other fans, since I just don't feel love for machines. That's me. :) I would be pretty cheesed off if something were to happen to my collection of tamagotchis or Ben 10/Doctor Who action figures though. The main reason why I collect tamas is because of the shells, and not so much playing with them. A lot of mine are still in their boxes. Might open them someday.

I feel mostly the same about my stuffed animals, except from my little monkey. I got him when I was born, and he's just about the only in-animate thing I care for (but not like a real person.)

Thankyou again for understanding. You're a really nice guy! I did go a bit over the top in those comments about tamagotchi, I guess I did spill my heart out a bit too much. :) We can all agree with eachother now!

//clears throat.

Even when I was 9, I never treated them like real pets. I have never cried when one has died, because, well it's a pixel. I don't give a crap who sees my tamagotchis, everyone at my junior high saw them (gonna be a freshman in a few weeks! :D ) and If someone bags on me about them, I could give a crap. (Watching my language because little ones come on here)

I do love to collect them and I actually show people them. Its not embarrassing, only if you think and make it out to be. If you think they're embarrassing, you shouldn't be playing with them in the first place.

But they are just a hobby, when I get busy, I do pause them (most of them time they just got sick XD) and I do let them die. I mean I don't do it on purpose, but I could give a crap if they die. I will only care if I'm like on Gen 10+.

In my opinion, souls make living beings. If you have no soul, you are not alive. Just an empty shell with a beating heart. Therefore, tamas and any other inanimate object can not have a soul. IN MY OPINION.

But seriously, If you act crazy with tamas and never let them die, think of them as real pets and you're OVER 10 years old...uhm that doesn't seem healthy TO ME. But thats what kind of tama person I am.

EDIT: I don't feel bad for anything that isn't a living breathing thing. If I knock a stuffed animal down, big deal. It didn't feel it. Unless its a new plush backpack I will freak if it gets dirty (like that with every new item). I don't wear half of my shoes. I wear one pair out of 10. I would also never damage a Tamagotchi on purpose though.

I'm not embarrassed to play with Tamagotchis and I'm 14. Its only embarrassing if you're immature and make them out to be like I said. I'm more mature then half of the people I know. If you think or even feel they're embarrassing, why are you playing with them? Geez. Just shut up(pardon me) about saying they're embarrassing. They aren't.

Frankly I've never understood why anyone would cry if a Tama died. It's not like you can't bring them back. The only way a Tamagotchi is ever permanently gone is if the device itself stops working. As long as the device is functional death for a Tamagotchi isn't permanent.

Exactly. I've heard people say they cry when one dies, or just get really sad. Its not real and you can just get another one. I'd just be really pi**ed at myself for letting it die if I was only a high generation XD

//clears throat.

Even when I was 9, I never treated them like real pets. I have never cried when one has died, because, well it's a pixel. I don't give a crap who sees my tamagotchis, everyone at my junior high saw them (gonna be a freshman in a few weeks! :D ) and If someone bags on me about them, I could give a crap. (Watching my language because little ones come on here)

I do love to collect them and I actually show people them. Its not embarrassing, only if you think and make it out to be. If you think they're embarrassing, you shouldn't be playing with them in the first place.

But they are just a hobby, when I get busy, I do pause them (most of them time they just got sick XD) and I do let them die. I mean I don't do it on purpose, but I could give a crap if they die. I will only care if I'm like on Gen 10+.

In my opinion, souls make living beings. If you have no soul, you are not alive. Just an empty shell with a beating heart. Therefore, tamas and any other inanimate object can not have a soul. IN MY OPINION.

But seriously, If you act crazy with tamas and never let them die, think of them as real pets and you're OVER 10 years old...uhm that doesn't seem healthy TO ME. But thats what kind of tama person I am.

EDIT: I don't feel bad for anything that isn't a living breathing thing. If I knock a stuffed animal down, big deal. It didn't feel it. Unless its a new plush backpack I will freak if it gets dirty (like that with every new item). I don't wear half of my shoes. I wear one pair out of 10. I would also never damage a Tamagotchi on purpose though.

I'm not embarrassed to play with Tamagotchis and I'm 14. Its only embarrassing if you're immature and make them out to be like I said. I'm more mature then half of the people I know. If you think or even feel they're embarrassing, why are you playing with them? Geez. Just shut up(pardon me) about saying they're embarrassing. They aren't.
Agreed with nearly everything you said. I find them embarrasing because it seems like I'm the only person playing with them. Thus, I try to hide them from everyone.

Frankly I've never understood why anyone would cry if a Tama died. It's not like you can't bring them back. The only way a Tamagotchi is ever permanently gone is if the device itself stops working. As long as the device is functional death for a Tamagotchi isn't permanent.
Ditto. It's not as if you can't reset it. Even if it is broken, you can just get a new one.

Sometimes I feel like other people think I'm going to be weird if seen with them but I love them and honestly don't care. I can be very nerdy at times with them.

I've had several dreams and daydreams about Tamas, yes. I live a normal life but when I'm home I let myself go as crazy as I want, and I'm trying to teach my mom about them.

At the moment I'd be devastated if Tamas couldn't be used anymore.

So yeah.
Took the words right outta my mouth

I only cried once when one died, but hey I was in first grade. After that I am just a bit dissapointed with myself for letting it die. Half the time they die it is because they got lost, that still freaks me out when I lose it though :wacko: . I lose everything of importance to me :mellow: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back