What Languages Are You Currently Learning?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Spanish one of the languages usually talked in your country, or are you going somewhere at the end of the year/once you graduate to somewhere where people speaks Spanish?
If it does, well, then, you should learn Spanish. Almost all schools in the U.S.A. teaches Spanish, and almost all schools in Canada teaches French and Canadian French.
Nah, our school wants us to take a language, and being such a SMALL school, they only offer spanish, and we have to take a language...

No, I don't plan to use any spanish when I'm older. I'm not going anywhere that involves spanish for me. Usa has a lot of spanish now, but I can survive without it... my dad took german for over 2 years, and he says that if you don't like the language, you'll forget soon enough, so I'm focusing on a language I'd rather learn...

Also, if I pick up another language, I might not have to take spanish.

I know the cons and pros of not taking spanish, but I'm willing to live without

This is my second year learning French. Next year I will continue taking French (I plan on taking it through highschool, and maybe into college) and then I will also begin either Latin or Japanese. I'm not sure which, but I'm leaning more towards Latin. And then I will take Spanish courses at the community college starting next summer, because I live in California and it would be useful to know Spanish.

I'm gonna learn Japanese really soon,but nothing at the moment. Well,I already know how to speak English!

I'm learning Latin in school. Students had the choice of French or Spanish or Latin. I already had a good vocabulary in English but I knew Latin would expand my English vocabulary.

For example, I'll give some Latin terms and the English words from which they come.

From the Latin word "horto" which means "garden" we get "horticulture" which is the caring of and tending to plants.

From "asinus" which means "donkey" we get "asinine" which means donkey-like or foolish, and we also get the word "a**" (as in donkey) from Latin.

If you're a Pisces, you might be interested in the fact that "pisces" comes from the Latin term "piscinam" meaning fishpond. That's why the sign for Pisces is fish.

Those are just three examples of the 60% of the English language that comes from Latin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back