What your relatives think of Tamagotchi

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

Reaction score
I was just wondering what your family thought of tamas. My brothers sometimes use my Tamas, but they mostly just like watching the show. And when my Mama saw my iD L she complained about it being too small and too expensive and in Japanese and said that it would be radiated and I would get cancer. 0.0 So yeah... I'm the only one who actually has Tamas but it's great that my big bro enjoys watching the show. XD

Brother = ultimate Tama abuser, has moved on to Star Wars. Is 8 years old so can't be blamed.

Mom = thinks the characters are cute, judge of "Cute Or Not" Tama contests held by me, but doesn't like playing with them because she hates small screens and buttons. Calls them "machines" along with the DSi, phone, camera, TV, Xbox, Wii etc.

Dad = refuses to learn any characters but Mametchi and constantly confuses him with Violetchi, fake snores every time he sees a Tama because he thinks they're boring. He respects my interest in them though.

Other relatives = don't even notice I have a Tama, except my grandma on my dad's side, who is fascinated by the "modern technology" of my iD L. I wonder what she'll think when she sees my dad's new iPad.

Overall, no-one in my family understands why my collection of 23, soon to be 24 Tamagotchis is worth over $300, but they accept that it is although they never buy me expensive Tamas for my birthday or Christmas. They also don't understand why I like TamaTalk or other Tama merchandise, although they let me get it anyway.

~ Dazzmina ~

Mom = Boring, expensive.

Dad = **snore** but still loves them anyways.

Friend = Yes; has some tamas including a Tama Profy and a iD L.

Other friend = Absolute no because of the TMGO and the MS. ;-; CURSE YOU BANDAI. > :(

Mom= Respects my love, ocassionally will learn Tamas names (helps if I have their TMGO figure :) ), always lets me talk about TamaTalk or my log or dream about some Tama. Although she won't pick one up. Never. :(

Dad= Ocassionally asks how my Tamagootchi is doing, mostly ignores them except if one beeps. Then he checks his phone. :)

Brother= Ignores them, I'm pretty sure he hates them. Never says one thing about them.

Two of my best friends= Love Tamas a lot, bought iD Ls, share my love for them. :)

Other best friend= Tried to run Tamas twice, but couldn't get into them.

And then there are the haters, but as Ellen DeGeneres said, "Haters are my motivators." :)

I just asked my mom, and this was her response: "what do I think of your tamagotchi? They're EXPENSIVE. Except that tama go..thingamajig..." -_-

My dad probably thinks the same.

And my sibling..."I like how you can connect them and everything, but it gets kind of boring because it's so limited."

And my other relatives are like "oh, so cute!" at my iD L and then they move on. xD

Some friends are like "O_O lemme see your iD L. NOW." and then they take it out of my hands and play games until my poor tama is underweight. Some friends are like "oh. It's in colour. Cool." and then they move on. One of my friends is like "TAMAGOTCHI????!!! HAHAHAHAHA they're so old why do you play with them they're for little kids hahahahaha" so.

My mom and dad both don't mind them. They'll let me buy them, and buy some for me. If it beeps my mom will yell "YOUR TAMA'S BEEPING!" xD Usually I always hear it though. xD

My grandma is amazed by them, along with my friends. xD I go to my grandma's house almost every friday night, and she'll always ask about them, and I show her my iD L and my P1, which she can barely see. xD

I just recently showed one of my newer friends my tamagotchi collection when she slept over, and it seemed like she loved them. xD I'm prettyyy sure she misses playing with them, but I don't wanna give one to her because I don't really trust anyone =w=

My mum doesn't mind me collecting Tamas, and very often she lets me know when they're beeping. I'm not really sure about my dad's opinion on them ( ^ _ ^ ) .

I was hesitant about telling my friends about Tamagotchis, until a week or so ago one of them started complaining about how her mum wouldn't buy her a Tamagotchi... I let her borrow my v5, and now we secretly take care of them in school, and everywhere we go, our Tamas go too (^w^).

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom is okay with them, and she lets me know if they're beeping, and has even Tama-sat a few times. But she always has a problem with me wanting another tama. My dad doesn't really care that much, but when I show him something he complains that they're so small and he can't see the screen. My sister is a Tama lover, and whenever I get a new tama, she gets a new tama. Our tamas often get married too. My grandma doesn't care, and when she says Tamagotchi she says it like Tamagootchi. XD it's just funny. My friends... probably have no idea what a tama is. I showed a tama to my friend once and she said it looked like a platypus and walked away to go get more potato chips. End of story.

Two of my best friends= Love Tamas a lot, bought iD Ls, share my love for them. :)
Two other iD L owners now?! Who besides Holly? My friends are like...

Fwoggy = mostly into Tamas, but doesn't always have time for them.

Ex-friend in NZ = I hate her now, I reset my precious V4 to lend it to her, and she simply kept it paused the whole time and returned it four days late, having somehow lost my handmade keychain for it!

Ex-friend here = was into them and favourite character was Androtchi, she even joined TamaTalk and had loads of potential as a Tama-lover, till she started hating me... -_-

Other friend in NZ = learned that it's called a Tamagotchi and the big ones are called either colours or iD Ls or TMGOs and the smallest ones are Angel and Nano, but nothing else.

Other friends here = mostly don't know much about them, I talk about other stuff in front of them. Well actually I mostly just teach them trampolining and not talk to them because they don't talk about Tamas, lol. They know roughly how many I have though, and how to pronouce the word Tamagotchi.

Best friends = Fwoggy and a load of people here, all Tama-lovers!

Oh yes, and...

Teacher = gets annoyed when I mentioned them in assembly a few days ago, in a math lesson last month and an art lesson ages ago

Boys at school (not being sexist, I know lots of boys are nice too but I'm talking about the ones at my school) = nickname for me is creepy dolphin freak, nickname for Tamas is crap lumps of plastic. I don't care, lol.

Girls at school = except Fwoggy, they mostly dislike/don't know much about Tamas and tend to avoid me.

~ Dazzmina ~

back in old times, when I was a child: all my family liked them, my sister had some too and we used to play with them together. my dad sometimes even offed to babysit for me. mother just looked at them and smiled, she was never really good with electronics, so she didn't play with them. but still, she liked to watch.

now: my boyfriend (who should be considered 'family', as I live with him) dislikes them totally -_- but he would never go as far as abusing them, not even touching them, but when he is in a bad mood he does shout "oh, shut up" when it beeps XD however, sometimes there are rare occasions when he is willing to watch what I want to show him (for example a game, a character or an animation). he usually says all the characters are ugly, but I find it not so true, it's more like a thing he does to "keep cool" (boys, huh :D ).

when my sister comes over or we meet and I get my tama to play with it she usually gets excited, she likes to watch and also try out some games, but she's no more interested in having one. that's okay though, we are both adults long ago. we usually have long nostalgic conversations on how we used to love them and play with them when we were younger, and also about that how cool it would have been to have IR connections on our tamas back in those days. playing with them would have been much more fun that way.

Time to time... My parents think they are dorky.... Other times they will find me little things to carry them in. They do know what they are, so they keep an eye out for tamas.... New and old.

They generally accept them because they know how much I love them.

I'm an only child so my parent's want to know all of what is happening with my tamas! I do close-ups and show them and they seem pretty interested!

Mom: Doesn't seem to care to much eather way. She will let me know if one beeps, and she knows how to care for them, and pause them.

Dad: Doesn't really care.

Brother: Used to like them, but not any more. Sometimes he will pick up his old Entama for a while over the summer.

Friend 1: Had a Music Star, but it broke. She still shows a bit of intrest in them, so I may help her buy one off ebay.

Friend 2: Knows I like tamas, but refuses to try them, even through I know he'd love them.

Friend 3: "Tama-who?" Nuff said.

Well, my mom's rough opinion on Tamagotchi:

Me: What do you think are the benefits of Tamagotchi?

Her: Well...enjoyment?

Me: Anything else?

Her: Not really.

Me: Then what do you think I enjoy about Tamagotchi?

Her: Girls your age have an instinct to take care of things, so -

Me: What about the boys who like Tamas?

Her: Can I finish what I was saying?

Me: No.

Her: I'm not sure about boys liking Tamas, I think they're just girls pretending to be boys.

Me: Not EVERYONE on the internet lies!

Her: Well they do if they can get away with it.

Me: I don't.

Her: That's because I told you not to *etc, etc*

Me: OK, what do you think are the benefits of TamaTalk?

Her: Enjoyment, and social stuff. But really, the social stuff was just for when you were home-educated and lonely. You should have got bored by now.

Me: But don't you see that if I make friends, I want to keep them?

Her: They're not friends, you have no idea who they are.

Me: Well, to some extent... *etc, etc*

Our conversations never go very far. My dad? Oh...

Me: Hey dad, my Tama evolved!

Him: Oh, is it a Kuchipuchiduckdotchi again? *fake snore*

Brother?

Me: Look, my Tama-Go had a baby boy! What do you think I should call him?

Him: Xbox. *carries on playing Xbox*

So...nobody in my family is really into Tamas. My friend Fwoggy is. But nobody I know has any sort of collection; my brother has two, and Fwoggy has one.

My mom is mildly interested. She'll occasionally watch me play, and loves to see me happy because of something she bought me xD

My dad is a typical tough-guy dad who has giant muscles, works out a LOT, looks very intimidating, and even has a deep Russian accent (scary, lol)!!! Well, he is actually a big softie inside and thinks "Yamaguchis" are kinda cute. But he jokes about how one day the tama is going to grow so big it'll jump out of the screen and eat me xD But yeah he likes them except for when I'm in trouble and I play it at the table during a meal.

My sister is a junior in high school and recently "re-lived" the Tama craze (v1s and v2s) with her Japanese friend (WHO HAS ALL THE AMAZING ASIAN TAMAS!!!) but they lost interest. My sister doesn't mind me playing it and takes care of it for me if I need to leave for a while.

My cats love Tamas (not relatives, though). . . . .Simon is my British Bombay cat and I'm highest in his pecking order, so he loooooooves anything that I'm holding. He eats whatever I give him (he even ate a clove of garlic once) and is very interested in anything I do. When I play Tamagotchis he likes to paw at the screen, although I think he's more jealous than interested xD ♥ He luuuuufffs me :)

My American Tabby Pumpkin is a loud, noisy cat, and she doesn't care for Tamas, mostly likes to fling them off the table -.-"

My birds (not relatives either xD) loooove Tamagotchis. They're parakeets and they've already learned all the beeps and songs that Tamagotchis make, and recite them often....it's so cute!

The cousin who lives closest to me (a mile away) doesn't mind Tamagotchis. He's really competitive so he plays games for me trying to beat the games. He's never been intersted in taking care of a Tama, though.

My cousins a couple of states away undoubtedly think Tamas are immature, and would scorn me if they saw me playing them. They don't have to know I still play with Tamagotchis ;)

My other cousins from across the country probably think Tamas are cute collectibles, but wouldn't really play them....mostly just look at them and collect them. Though, to avoid ridicule, I haven't told them I play Tamas ;)

There it is! lol....I hope you enjoyed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back