Your opinion on #homework?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your opinion on homework?

• I love it! It's so fun! :D

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I like it but sometimes it's boring.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It's okay. I don't really mind it.

• I don't like it, it's boring.

• I hate it. It's boring and pointless.

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
WOT DO U THINK BOUT HOMWERK??????????

I made this topic because there is an overwhelmingly large amount of discussion about homework in status updates, so we might as well have a topic to discuss it! :D

My opinion on homework is the same as most people's. I hate it. It's almost always boring, pointless stuff that could've been done in the lesson if the teacher didn't spend so long talking about totally irrelevant subjects. Yay.

EDIT: The poll was meant to be a public poll. Unfortunately, the public poll option seems to have exploded in a fiery inferno so I can't use it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I luvvvv hometwerk bc us wen I dnt hav mony I cud fed it 2 my dog <333333

n wen I recev my hometwerk al I Ned 2 do is writ da sung lyrics of reking bawl xoxo <33

I also made a poem called homework

Homework

Homework oh homework, I will love you till the end

Sometimes while Im writing, I WANNA SMASH YOU BURN YOU STAB YOU KILL YOU THROW YOU FEED YOU BLOW YOU ROT YOU PEE ON YOU POOP ON YOU RAIN ON YOU TRASH YOU CRASH YOU BASH YOU DASH YOU RUN OVER YOU WET YOU THREATEN YOU SLAVE YOU TRADE YOU DRILL YOU CUT YOU SHOOT YOU BULLDOZE YOU WRECK YOU LAUNCH YOU POISON YOU THROW YOU AND MAKE YOU REGRET BEING YOU with love.

I can understand the idea of homework, as it helps students who do learn by repetition, and is quite a good learning tool to clarify information that sometimes gets kind of glazed over in class in more detail, but sometimes it can get a little tedious and stressful. My classes get half an hour of basic homework for 6 subjects every night, plus finishing other school work and externals + studying for internals, and after awhile it really begins to add up. who needs sleep anyway hehe

The thing that most bugs me about it is when people glamourise or think it's cool to not do their homework. Whether or not you find it boring or pointless or not, it's still part of the curriculum, and it's compulsory to do, and teachers spend a lot of time in class that could be spent learning getting really angry at students who don't do their homework, wasting everyone else's time.

Basically, homework is sometimes really boring and takes way too long but it still needs to be done.

I can understand the idea of homework, as it helps students who do learn by repetition, and is quite a good learning tool to clarify information that sometimes gets kind of glazed over in class in more detail, but sometimes it can get a little tedious and stressful. My classes get half an hour of basic homework for 6 subjects every night, plus finishing other school work and externals + studying for internals, and after awhile it really begins to add up. who needs sleep anyway hehe

The thing that most bugs me about it is when people glamourise or think it's cool to not do their homework. Whether or not you find it boring or pointless or not, it's still part of the curriculum, and it's compulsory to do, and teachers spend a lot of time in class that could be spent learning getting really angry at students who don't do their homework, wasting everyone else's time.

Basically, homework is sometimes really boring and takes way too long but it still needs to be done.
It helps students who learn by repetition...not including me. I think it should only be set for some students, not all. If I learn a way of doing something in maths, I learn it first time round. I do not need to repeat it 50 times. Same in every other subject.

Most of the time, I either don't do my homework or do it really badly and I know it. Nobody cares. I'm still going to get 90% in the end of year exam. B)

I never do my homework and pass classes, yay.

But imho homework should be there, but you shouldnt get bad marks for not doing it.

It helps students who learn by repetition...not including me. I think it should only be set for some students, not all. If I learn a way of doing something in maths, I learn it first time round. I do not need to repeat it 50 times. Same in every other subject.

Most of the time, I either don't do my homework or do it really badly and I know it. Nobody cares. I'm still going to get 90% in the end of year exam. B)
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) we can't all be a genius who finds everything about school easy or boring or pointless ;)

Maybe spare a thought for all the other folk who just learn what they can in the lesson (whilst other classmates are disrupting things) and will probably benefit from some extra work to help them deep process the learning so that it can more easily be remembered - not just for exams but for life skills.

Personally I still remember things I learned at school - including stuff I had to do for homework - which helps me in everyday social and working situations.

Like Famous Last Words said, sometimes it is boring and sometimes it might seem pointless, but it still needs to be done, because... learning.

I never study, I just actually listen to the teachers during classes and it's mostly enough for me... to just pass. 50% on tests is satisfactory to me.

AP classes....... All Im saying...... (APUSH!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: )
AP Lang oh my gosh. We get a plethora of reading assignments and stuff, and on top of that we have an 800-word essay due every other Sunday. Actually right now I've got an 800-word analysis essay due this Sunday, plus I've gotta start working on a gigantic research paper. Just for AP Lang.

I get a somewhat large amount of homework in AP Psychology as well (though I actually enjoy my AP Psych homework because I like Psychology so much). I get a lot of homework in most of my other classes too.

Very glad I have a study hall so I can finish a fair amount of my homework.

In some circumstances, I can completely see the point of homework. In my AP classes, I can understand that we need to read the textbooks and do a lot of writing outside of school. Those are advanced courses that are made to simulate college, and a lot of people find it easier to focus on reading and writing while they're at home rather than at school.

But with a lot of other classes, I think it's kind of a sign of the messed-up education system. I mean, homework such as copying the definitons of words such as "skyscraper" from the back of my American History book (yeah I dropped APUSH the first day of school for better or for worse) is so ludicrous; it's busywork and it's been proven that that type of repetition is not the way to learn at this level (you learn by actually analyzing and discussing things). It seems like a lot of teachers are kind of shirking their teaching responsibilities by lecturing absolute nonsequitors all of class and then assigning you to basically teach yourself some stuff and turn it in the next day *cough* precalc *cough*

The only real solution I can see to this is to lengthen the school day, and possibly have fewer classes each day (do most classes every other day instead) in order to maximize the value of the time spent in school and minimize the homework. Because at the moment I basically homeschool myself for many of my classes and spend a good portion of my school day just completely bored. It's like having to go to school twice a day; I may as well just drop out and go to an online high school or homestudy for my GED (not that I would actually drop out; it's just frustrating).

(Of course, I wouldn't mind doing homework quite so much if all my classes were things that actually mattered, like more AP classes or an IB curriculum.)

I know the importance of homework and everything but what I don't like is the amount of it. In the sixth grade I was in pretty much all honors classes. And every day I got a TON of homework. (One time I had four pages of math on top of my other subjects). I would take a half hour break after school and then start my homework. It took from 4:00p.m. to 10:30p.m. to finish it all. Then I'd wake up the next day only to have it happen all over again. (The teachers were really strict about turning in homework and all the kids were really mean to me. For the three months I went to that school I was a nervous wreak! But I'm homeschooled now so yay)!

Mathematics is my fave BTW~

Especially geometry.

I strongly enjoy geometry. It's not even work, it's more like a fun hobby.

History = meh.

AP classes....... All Im saying...... (APUSH!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: )
What are AP classes? :/

I miss homework, like high school homework. You get so little compared to uni assignments, once you get into those it's not the same any more. I can't remember the last time I didn't have several 2,000+ word assignments and reports hanging over my head >.< Roll on the end of May!

I'm one of those people that agree and disagree with homework..

I think as a whole it's good thing for the fact that it just helps you remember what you did that day and by looking the subjects over again help you remember and help it stick in your brain better (if you find it easy then that just means that you're understanding and that's exactly what it's for) I don't think it's meant to be too challenging because why would they give you work you can't do without their help? and if you do struggle that shows the teacher that they need to help you and give you extra attention to make you benefit from it.

However

Studies have shown that countries like Finland that don't have homework actually have a greater High school graduation rates at 93% which is at lot higher then the 75 % in USA. They also has the highest rate in Europe of students going to college but I think that's just down to the fact that they have smaller classes and more teachers so everyone gets more individual help? It also puts less stress on the students letting them take a more relaxed approach to learning.

Also

In the UK I find that the amount of homework given at times when there are exams and coursework is ridiculous say you do (as I did) 14 subjects in school and they all gave the average "4 hours of homework" a week in prep before an exam that's 56 hours of homework a week and then you're at school for 6.5 hours a day that's 32.5 hours a week so homework and school is 88.5 hours a week plus your sleep time which is meant to be 9 hours a night that's 63 hours a week so with sleep, homework and school that's 151.5 hours a week out of a week that is 168 hours long lets say you spend about 1.5 hours eating a day that's 30 minutes for each meal that's another 10.5 hours a week so that takes the total to 161.5 hours to eat, sleep, do homework and go to school leaving a tiny 6.5 hours a week of spare time to socialize with your family and friends and have down time ... That's 45 minutes a day to do whatever you want... and they wonder why students are stressed?

I think it can get out of hand

So this is totally a personal problem but you know school doesn't give a crap about individuals.

But like. I struggle so much with homework. I've got several fun learning disabilities especially my intense fun ADHD. I legitimately cannot focus at home. Hell I can barely focus at school, but home? Pff, you've gotta be friggin kidding me. I can be sitting for an hour and do like three simple slides on a powerpoint. I'll think of something and I'm just gone. I can't get myself to sit back down and think. And now I'm on the doubtful list for my two core classes which basically means I have an F and odds are I'm not graduating. I legitimately do not know what to do with myself if I don't graduate. The teacher can be talking to me and no matter how simple they try to make it I can't understand what they're trying to tell me. My teachers are telling me to decide that school is important. I want to learn. I so friggin want to learn. But I can't prove that to them.

Okay totally went off the rail there. Anyways I just wish that there was some sort of different way of teaching and giving assignments. Because not everyone friggin learns the same way. And anyone who can't learn in the norm are just labelled off as stupid or lazy or unmotivated. And that just breaks me. Hell I'm crying right now. Teachers say they care about every single one of their students, but by not acknowledging that they are not learning the way you're teaching, that can pretty much ruin the student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back