You're Just A Child.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOVE.

Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on til morning.
I do. I really don't believe in it. I believe that the younger generation could have more impact in today's society.

It makes me feel small and insignificant. I don't believe that, for one second, adults' should doubt that their children could bring change to the world. I mean, adults have grown up with what they have, they're used to it. Children, however, may not like it, and usually aren't afraid to bring it up. Like, I was watching Hairspray the other day, and it got me thinking - even though it is just a film, it shows what children and teens can do. Tracy helped the Corny Collin's show become intergrated. Personally, I hate anything that thinks anyone different then them - their skin colour, hair, nationality, intelligence - makes them more important from those people.

Like, you know the whole ginger hair thing? That really annoys me. They're just a different hair colour. And the whole 'blonde's are stupid' and 'brunette's are clever'? Completely irrational. What if it was the other way round? Brunettes were stupid, gingers were clever and blonde's were whatever it is people seem to think about ginger-haired people.

I'm hoping that one day, everyone will know they're equal. I'm hoping that one day, no one will care about someone else's appearance, and only their personality. :']

So, who else hates how some adult's think that children are just children, and they couldn't make a change?

P.S: I didn't know whether to put this in the (Non) TT, or the Seriously (Non) TT. It's serious to me, and I'm hoping it is to other people, too. <3

I don't hate the saying. For some instances, it's useful. There are things that children shouldn't be exposed to. I'm not saying that kids aren't going to be able to make a difference in society, because they are. The new generation is the one that will be running the country in 30 or so years. But while they are just young children, there are some things that they don't need to be around.

I think you are making some assumptions here which are not always true.

I agree that it must be annoying to hear 'You're just a child'. It's not a phrase I routinely use but I suppose lots of children must hear it. I will be honest with you and tell you that it is something I think often rather than say out loud :angry:

But, maybe it doesn't always mean that you can't 'change the world'.

Maybe it means 'I've experienced something similar in my childhood, so I know, from that experience, that this won't work - but you haven't experienced it yet, and you don't yet understand why it won't work'

Adults are not humans that do not change.

They were kids once and wanted things different. Maybe they have just learned to understand more about what can be changed and what cannot be changed in their own personal circumstances. Don't forget, everyone changes, all the time - as an adult you continue to change right up until very old age :angry:

If you hate the obsession with differences so much, take a moment to think about where these manifest themselves the most.

Where do you think ppl bad mouth 'ginger hair colour' (for example) the most often or give ppl the most grief about their appearance?

Do you think it is in the office or in the school yard?

Where do you hear it? Do you think parents teach their kids that ginger hair is bad or that Abercrombie & Fitch is cool? (or do you, like me, suspect that it is something that kids hear from other kids..?)

I'm not saying that children can't change attitudes. I am simply saying don't lay the blame at the adults door.

I think children are smart enough to understand what is right or wrong on many important issues. Their opportunities to change things are certainly more limited than adults because of their age and access to the instruments of change.

But doesn't that mean children should try to focus on making the changes within their own peer groups rather than waste time looking for someone to blame it on? Because that's not instigating change, it's just complaining :angry:

If its that phrase I hear, I almost always ignore it. I know for a fact, that I am clever and am perfectly capable of making decisions for myself, that is depending on the circumstances. Because I know for another fact that I don't know everything there is to the world, I try take that phrase to heart and actually think: that is what, from an adult's perspective, looks like. My parents have lived for more than twice my age and their childhood is the mirror refection of their personal experiences: they have gone through about as many hardships as us children and are not completely devoid of emotion. They are not ignorant of what we, as children think. The "blondes are dumb" stereotype shouldn't be blamed entirely on the adults. Nor do I think it relates specifically to the topic itself :huh: . Because they are human, the choices they make won't entirely appreciated by everyone. The way I see it is: "People are equal" is a personal value that by no means is a human better off than another, nor is another human inferior to another. We all want to be equal. That's a given. But truth be told, even when we say "looks don't matter" I think that they really do matter and that is something that will never change specifically because we're human. That is why I think there are so many disputes and we don't always have the same view as another person.

To sum it up, yes, the children of this century are gifted, but if your parents (or any other adults, for all I know) have faith in that you can make a difference, by all means, step up front and show them what you're truly capable of so that instead of looking down on you, they'll acknowledge you as the equal you'll want to be acknowledged as. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I FRICKING HATE THT SAYING!!!!!! > :p sorry... tht relle struck a nerve, ever since my sister was in the end of the 8th grade if i made one mistake or said 'like' she would mock me and ask my parents " was I really tht bad when I was 12?" and every time someone said anything negative about me and she heard it she would say " it's like a 12 yr old thing." Then on my 13 birthday a couple days ago she started talking about how she " remembered when she was 13..." but it was only 2 years ago tht she was!!! It is sooooo annoying.... it's like she thinks she is so much better and more mature, but I share a room with her, and some times she is the most immature person I know!!!

Story of my life. One of my mother's favorite phrases, "You're just a child, your opinion doesn't matter." Or similarly, "You're just a child, so you have to listen to me. When you're eighteen and out of the house, I don't care what you do."

But honestly that's beside the point, and I think that you are on two subjects here - I don't entirely see how they relate.

As TamaMum said, "You're just a child," doesn't always mean that you can't do anything or can't make a difference. If I believed that, I would be proven wrong every single day.

Sometimes kids understand things better than adults, and sometimes it visa versa. Adults have more experience to draw from and generally understand the world better. But young kids see the world from a fresh, open perspective. It's what you make of it.

And then there's your other topic - judgments and stereotypes. Most people know they're not true. They're like old wives tales and have been around since forever. I'm blonde, and I use the phrase, "I just had a blonde moment!" frequently, but of course I don't actually think I'm, "dumb," and I don't take it personally. ;)

Appearance... well, we're always going to judge somewhat based on appearances, and it's not always an "evil" thing! It's completely human. It's like our mental defense system sending warning flags off. "Stay away from this person," or on the other hand, "Oh, this person seems good and looks cute." Of course, we shouldn't base our entire image on other people just on their appearance. You would be missing out on a lot.

I am a firm believer in equality, and I am with you there. I live in the US, and I know we're doing pretty okay with equal rights, though it's not perfect. We can keep working at it, but it's good to understand that there are always going to be some biased people out there.

The best you can do is be a positive influence in your area! Don't bring yourself down or let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Take it upon yourself to be fair and kind, and others should follow. :)

I'm not sure that I entirely understood what you are saying, but here's my two cents on what I made of what you said. :p

Could it be that someone might be a wee bit jealous here adviceinandout? ^.^'

I don't think that the phrase is a way for adults to tell children that they can't have impact on the world, but a way to make clear that children might not be mature enough in a certain area just yet. (There probably are exceptions of course, but exceptions don't make the rule here.) For example, if a five year old wants to go walking around the neighborhood by themselves, it is necessary for parent to say no. Why? Because they're just a child too young to face something like that by themselves.

Generally speaking, I don't think that the phrase is supposed to mean that kids can't bring impact on today's society. Now if an adult really does say this to imply that children can make no positive impact on the world, then I disagree. Children are making an impact on the world everyday.

Which also brings me to say that even if what you are saying is true or not, children are bringing an impact to the world whether adults say they can't or not. So if someone is saying this to you to tear you down, don't let them get to you. You can make impact on the world no matter what someone else says. Lets just hope you impact our world positively. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't clear on the 'blonde' thing - I didn't mean it was the adults who were saying that. xD

Everything just came out in a rush, so it was all conjumbled.

You've all made clear points, and I guess I seem pretty defiant about what I was saying - I completely respect that adults are more experienced then children. I just mean, you're bringing your child down, in a way. What annoys me the most is that people won't listen to a child's/teen's idea and/or opinion, because they're just a child. I'm not saying all people are like that. And older people then me are probably going to have different views. But just becuase it might have worked when they were a younger shouldn't be an excuse not to let your child try, right?

I know that's all pretty scrambled, those are my exact thoughts and I have lack of brain use today, so I don't know how to rephrase it. x3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back