Chat speak

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzyfloss

Reaction score
Sydney, NSW, Australia, World, Galaxy, Universe
Well there was a topic on this before but it died. What do you think of chatspeak ?Old topic

Chat speak and 1337(Leet )

Chat speak is annoying, like this is ok:

Hi how r u?
But this is annoying:

H1 h0w r u???????? :huh:   :huh:   :huh: I H0P UR FIN3!!!!!!!!!  :D   :)   B)
I rarely see that but if I do its so annoying. I cant read leet well so it is annoying.

Overuse of smilies

1-3 smilies in a post is enough, but 5+? No...It's unecessary even without smilies but it can be considered SPAM. Also if a member just posts an emoticon for a reply, that is Sapm as well.

Random PMS

Random PMs for advertising a members' website, asking a question you already know about them or something like this,

HI HOW R U??????? :unsure:   :)   B)   :lol:
is annoying.

I don't mind friend requests though.

Other things you can discuss or add

Capitalized posts. It's not hard to read but it is annoying.

Double posts. EG:

HELP WHY IS TMAM NIOT SLPING @9:00
minutes later

HELLO HLP MEEE!!!!!!!11!111WHY ISN'T TAM WORKING?!!?11///1 zOMG
Just wait for a while, it doesn't take people that short to reply, you just be patient.

Posts that don't make sense, like:

OK 2DOY dis persn cm 2 miiii tmaakm ithad hat andwz blck it cme and gibe me evelop but it sed dat fing was not good den a pearl thingy cum and giv me weird floewsa!!!!111!!!11  does hi lik me/???'///n i nid 2 fing OUT!11 :p   :D   :eek:     :huh:
Mainly newbies do these things but it's OK because they're new.

So, what do you think of the listed above?

I don't like it. u, and brb, and stuff is ok, but I personally hate a lot of text type. They made english a language for a reason, not to be butchered as such.

I don't hate it, but sometimes I think they could spend a little more time typing out the words properly.

I don't mind it in texts but on the internet and in school its not so good. On the internet I don't mind BTW PWN FTW 'Cos r u etc. I'm sorta a grammar freak but only in real life.

I hate 'OMFG hw r u :p :huh: :huh: :) :unsure: Lolz. i h8 bad w3tha. its nt suny h3r3. is it suny w3a ur??? :lol: :huh: :) :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, brb, ty, and wb I don't mind.

Everything else can go die.

I lose major respect for people who type like that and expect to be taken seriously.

I dont mind all these: u (you), brb (be right back), r (are), cya (see you), y (why), lol (laugh out loud).

The rest of them I dont like. Especially the ones where they actually add more letters to it. For example mii (me) is adding on more letter. I find it much easier to type in normal english.

I find it very annoying.

I don't mind "lol" and I use that alot. Cya, U (as in you) are okay aswell.

It's just when people use "text-talk" for every single word.

Sometimes I can't even understand what pople are saying it's so bad xD

[SIZE=7pt]Use: idk, idc, brb, g2g, idts, lmao, and wth[/SIZE]

Tolerate: cya, sup, ty,

Want to rip my head off: u, wut, r, and y.

except when my dearly beloved uses u and y

I think leet is annoying but I don't mind the how ru and slang stuff like that I speak slang all the time so it don't bug me but 133t does and when people use to many explanation marks that ticks me off I don't know why lol. I don't even understand when people type in like numbers and stuff instead of letters or if they use caps lock like this "L1K3 OMG H0w R u !!" I hate it when people talk like that but this is ok: "Like omg how ru?"

I don't mind things like lol, cya, g2g, lmao, wtf, brb that much.

But things like "omg ur so lyk nyce!!11" or "l000l h0w r u ryt n0w?" or "I kNoW rIgHt hE's So NiCe!!!" make me want to rip my hair out and throw it off the CN tower.

The third example, I don't mind in names like "CaNdYgIrL93" (Sorry, I'm just using it as an example), but when people type like that on TamaChat or in a post, it makes me want to slap them.

Yes, I'm a grammar snob.

I use brb g2g omg but OMG UR LYK SO NIC! and H0W r U n0w? makes me want to rip my head off just don't do it.

I want to shoot myslef when people use leet.

My friend ask why I type so slow.

That would be because I NEVER use ANY short forms.

I hate when people use "wut"

I don't like text talk, no. I generally try to use as best grammar as I can but webspeak like pwn or lol I use, yeah.

I hate wen peple tak lyk dis tho.

I've seen that before - actually, I used to type like that - but I've noticed through personal experience that people online actually do respect you more when you type with grammar. Plus, you aren't as misunderstood nearly as much. ;)

I prefer not to talk like that, just because I find English much easier to read. D+

The other day at school, we had a spelling competition and when some year 1's and 2's were asked to spell cat, fine, from etc..they used symbols and numbers like @, 3, $ etc...

That really annoyed me because the kids weren't even 8 years old. And i think the older kids might have taught them that.

Anyways, my mum's asking me to leave.

~illiey12~

Like many other responders to this post, I can handle chat speak to a point. I use wtf/h, rofl, lmao, lol, omg but not things like u, 2 for to/too, etc. I usually use a lot of smileys for some reason.. always have :huh: But not more than like two or three per post.

Wow, I just got an email from my friend and even she was using chat speak to the point where i couldnt read it anymore and i deleted it. This really annoys me. I really want it to be banned but that wouldnt be possible. People would still use it secretly. Anyway, enough ranting.

Bye!!

~illiey12~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back