UMR

Long-Lived Oldies Hatch IV Log here!

Jerry gets to sleep in every day! It’s actually great because I don’t have to worry about him until third period! I finally feel like a responsible tama mom because I’ve been caring for Jerry as much as possible. I have a system for school days: From when Jerry wakes up, I feed him every half hour from my pocket. During lunch I check on him and play games until he gets back to his base weight, and then back to the first system for the rest of the day. On the bus ride home I play more games to get him back in shape.

STATS

Name: Jerry

Machine: V3

Type: Masktchi

Training: 8

Weight: 22 lb

Stage: Teen

Will evolve next: 5 days

iTgaI6.jpg

His smile terrifies me.

XV1e1T.jpg

Jerry also drew me a picture!

Sg0I7z.jpg

Happy hatching!

• Like 2

(Deleted Post)

Edited by UMR

(I don’t have a lot of time to Log today so I’m just copying and pasting this from my log.)

For yesterday: Jerry is a happy eight year old! So close to and oldie!!! (≧∀≦) We were offered two arranged marriages today, but Jerry declined. In fact, one of the offers went off really loud during Taekwando... oops! Anyways,

STATS

Weight: 20 lb

Stage: Adult

Will evolve next: Two days

For today:

Sorry for not posting. Today Jerry has done nothing but eat scones and icecream. I have been doing homework so he’s been neglected for a bit. “Games! Play games with me!” -Jerry

“Fine, what’s 4x - 8 = 2y ? And graph it.” -Me

*silence* - Jerry

“See? Just wait until I’m done!” -Me

Here are his stats for today:

STATS

Weight: 22 lb

Will evolve next: Tomorrow

Are you guys still here?

• Like 1

Sorry for the silence! I'm actually off schedule on one of my courses (although it might result in disorganization and not actually disaster) so I haven't been around here for understandable reasons. In fact, I think last week or so was probably pretty boring for Sotilde as I had to read 55 pages. Just when I thought things were going to be a bit more lively for her, we were back to the old drill of being housebound. Well, that's the life of a student. I've been dreaming up allot of potential sketch ideas for Sotilde as with the current anime we've been watching, Death Note, I realized one of the characters (Mello) has a similar hairstyle to Sotilde, so I ought to draw the two together. I also thought it would be fun to draw fan art of Sotilde with various anime characters as that would be pretty illustrative of her life, considering we do allot of things together.

I'm probably going to disappear for awhile till... mid December? Things have been pretty disorganized so often I'm not in the right state of mind to log.

@UMR - It was so sweet what you said about me being a tamagotchi god :lol: I suppose allot of my log probably answers your question about how I did it, as not allot happens in my life so I can keep tamas out pretty much all the time. I've paused Sotilde a few times - usually for an hour - but in general she is so low maintenance there is no need to pause her when I'm out and about. If I was working, however, I'm not sure if I would be able to do the same, although she only really needs a 10 second check ever so often. I actually told Papa Ballad about Sotilde's age when we were driving home from ESL two Mondays ago, and I pretty much got the same reaction as you did XD I guess only we tama-folk can actually understand age records. If you're still up for making a topic about Sotilde - currently 527 - it would probably go into the "What's On Your Mind?" forum as the New section is more for announcing what Bandai's doing.

I hope your little guy lives for a loooooong time :) ^_^

Hey! I’m so glad Sotilde is still alive! To be honest I thought she might have died and you stopped logging. Also, not to burst your bubble or anything, but the don’t the records only count with no time changes or pausing? (Sorry.)

Well, anyways, here are Jerry’s stats:

STATS

Type: Ojitchi

Weight: 58 lb

Will evolve next: Never

Happy hatching!

Hey guys, Jerry died a while ago and I hatched a new Jerry. She’s a girl! Her nickname is Niffler. Right now she is seven! I absolutely love her adult character: Mimiyoritchi

I have been watching her wight like a hawk too. That’s the reason Jerry the First died.

STATS

Nickname: Niffler

Machine: v3

Type: Mimiyoritchi

Training: 4/9

Weight: 30 lb

I also just found out I’m gett8ng a v5 for Christmas! Yay! Happy hatching!

Hey! I’m still alive and so is Jerry Jr. AKA Niffler. She is currently sleeping but I am worried that she might die as soon as she wakes up because of the two poops next to her and her one remaining heart on hunger and happiness.

She is an oldie living strong at 12 tama years old. Since it is finally Christmas Break I can spend more time taking care of her instead of a few short moments during lunch at school. Merry Christmas break everybody! Happy Hatching!

• Like 1

*Waves ecstatically* Hey, hey, I’m here again! Boy, oh boy, has it been awhile. The chief reason is, as some of you might suspect, that I’ve been behind in school work. I’m still not quite out of the doghouse – as my worried parents remind me – but I’ll try not to turn that into too much of a disaster like... last semester. Interestingly my grades are still good, but enough of this. So Sotilde is still alive and well and approaching her second birthday. However, UMR brought up a very important point about Sotilde’s age record. Now as I understand it, raising a long-lived oldie is a test of an owner’s ability to take care of a tamagotchi for the longest they can, a test of endurance. Naturally, pausing poses a problem because it both makes the record inaccurate and makes it easier to keep a tamagotchi alive with no effort. Among people who have done the same, saying I raised a tamagotchi for 6 months would lose its prestige if I have paused that tamagotchi for 3 months. And that’s solely because I haven’t really done what I have said.

Now we use the concept of days to measure the age of a tamagotchi because that is the most natural measurement. Because it overlaps with our own concept of days, I believe there is some leniency on how much time is needed for a period to be considered a day. If a day was 21 hours, it doesn’t really seem like a big deal for 11/12 was still lived, and that’s enough to make the statement “a day has passed” adequately truthful. The effort not used in that 1/12 is insignificant compared to the effort in the 11/12 that was. Therefore, the test of endurance still holds because there still was effort put in and that effort is what will be commended when someone says “I raised a tamagotchi for six months”. Thus, the spirit of raising a long-lived oldie is still present.

Now in the case of Sotilde, the rare times she has been paused has been a very small fraction of the time she has been alive. I only really pause her for exams which are probably on average four times a year and around 3 hours in the morning. She never goes to bed paused and wakes up every morning, thus having a proper day’s cycle. Adding to this, occasionally I change her clock going half an hour forward or back so that she will not sleep in her... messes. This works as a time credit because she has lived half an hour longer either by going to bed half an hour later, or waking up half an hour earlier. Also in regard to this, she thus gains half an hour for each consecutive day because she continues to wake up earlier or go to bed later every single day. For example, say I pause her for three hours one day and adjust her time to the current one. That means she has lost three hours of active time but, if I put her clock back half an hour, then 3 hours – 1/2 hour = 2 1/2 hours lost. And the same time the next day without any pausing become 2 1/2 hours – 1/2 hour = 2 hours lost. If she had continued with no time adjustments after the three hours she was paused, she would not gain back any time but since she rises half an hour earlier than she normally would, she gains time back.

Another thing worth noting is that the most effort one puts into raising a tamagotchi is when they are awake as when they are asleep nothing can be done. Thus, increasing the waking hours increases the effort which makes definitely certain that one has put in an adequate amount of effort to be praised for raising a long-lived oldie. In Sotilde’s case, I’d estimate her pause time might possibly be enough to put her a day off, taking into account an estimation of time bonuses. If I was being super strict about the record, I would take three days off her current estimation to be perfectly safe. Alternatively, I could give her extra waking hours by making her go to bed at 12:30 a.m. and having her wake up at 7 a.m. - basically adding 3 and a half hours to her current record and I would only need to do that for 8 days to gain her back a full day of time. However, I feel I have indeed put into Sotilde enough effort to say that I have reasonably kept her alive for how old she really is. Also, Sotilde has always had a morning and a bedtime, thus making her days structurally complete.

Having said all that, I would also extend the same leniency to anybody else’s long-lived oldie record as to me it seems trivial whether their tama has lived for 200 days when actually it has been 199 days and 8 hours; at the heart of the matter, it’s all the same.

/ / / /

Time for some updates (no pun intended, snort). Now originally, I planned to make an update post on February 22cd – almost two months ago – with this picture:

spacer.png

That was my current brood at the time of that remarkable day. I decided to take the plunge and clean Sotilde’s unresponsive buttons. I was terrified of it because that would involve turning her off and I was afraid when I turned her back on, the data would have been deleted. I had replaced her batteries but her device was so efficient that being deprived of a battery for 10 seconds didn’t cause the screen to go blank, like it does for an English connection. This was out of my comfort zone as her screen would indeed be blank for a long time and I always foresaw that moment as being a reminder of Sotilde’s eventual passing. Now reflecting on that destined event, her passing, I would truly miss her and her little ambling ways. Back in the past (ha ha), I worked up the courage and decided to take the plunge. I grabbed Sotilde, a few q-tips, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and a miniature screwdriver set. I was sonervous I prayed before I started!

I unscrewed her back cover and popped out the battery, only to soon put it back in and download her again to prove that she was still there. She was, of course. Then I popped out the battery and began loosening the screws around the battery dock. I had to really pry her open since whatever adhesive or good design was keeping the red point of her antenna in, it was really doing its job. Then it was a matter of undoing the screws on the circuit board, popping out the circuit board with care to the sound wires (honestly, the sound wires seem so fragile to me!), and then easing off the buttons to see the contacts underneath. I think I put the battery back in again to test and further made myself nervous because repeatably putting the battery in and taking it out might delete data, as my Dream Town is a testament to. I wet a q-tip and then started scrubbing the contacts, inside the button pads as well, and took some dust off the buttons also that had gotten behind the face plate. Then I put Sotilde back together and popped in her battery. A black spotted egg appeared with obvious missing pixels, indicating I hadn’t screwed everything together tight enough. Being paranoid, I left her like that for awhile being just glad that she was still there! I think we even had lunch together with her like that, her being her usual ambling self but with sections missing and icons not displaying.

Later I got around to fixing her up and man, it took a few tries where I thought I must have tightened her fully. That picture is thus a reminder of that faithful day. Sotilde had been palling around with my Ganbare Ryuuta-kun, a dinosaur I called Rufus Benjamin. Dear little Rufus died one day for unexplained reason and seemed to not achieve adulthood. That colour tama is a 4U with a Nenetchi, a tama I really wanted to get because she is so girly and plump (a rare trait). In some senses she was the tama version of myself and while I did give her a name, I can’t remember it. She eventually got married and had a baby girl who also got married and I think is in limbo now, since I deactivated my 4U. That V4 was one I think I started up in the middle of the night and decided to run. Sotilde’s last companion was Sandy who has returned to her state of limbo since I wasn’t certain about starting a new generation (resetting). Now Sotilde’s companions are the ones below:

spacer.png

It’s really dropped and honestly I got quite tama-lethargic. I took that picture this Easter, today, while we camped out at my desk with some Easter chocolate (one of my few candy holidays). Having gobbled a few chocolate eggs, I speculated on getting Sotilde some chocolate but I think she can only get the kind for Valentine’s day. The V4 is now a Young Memetchi named Mully – I’ve been cursed by the meme family – and she’s rather recent. I deactivated my V4 only to start it up again. That slick looking Vpet next to Mully is my Qpet, a relatively cheap Chinese Vpet. It’s the cat version – there is a dog and rabbit version – and that fluffy little fellow is Gink. Sotilde’s seen him for quite awhile since he’s been around for about a month, so low maintenance, and doesn’t seem to change at all. Lately Sotilde’s been rooming with Mully during meals while Gink lies alone. Mully’s even accompanied Sotilde and I on a few walks. The weather has been getting warmer and warmer – a nice change from the treacherous winter – but its been rainy these last few days. I’m not sure how old exactly Sotilde is but she is approaching 730 days old, 2 years, which she will arrive at on June 13th.

I hope to eventually make enough consistent logs updates on Sotilde’s life to actually give my readers some certainty, consistency, and not be such a broken record :^)

• Like 1