Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidRetro64

Reaction score
So, I was Just on Ebay Last night when I searched up Tamagotchi. And I found 6 WHOLE PAGES OF FAKES!!! I know 5 People who have Fallen for the Fakes and My first Tamagotchi was a fake.

They label them as Tamagotchi Connections/Cyber Pets And Dont even have real Tamagotchi Caracters.

They are just Animals or Humans.

There is no fun out of this!!!

You can usually get them for around 1-9 Dollars, That is a real waste of money.

Your better off getting a Friends. Its worth it to pay a little extra sometimes.

I hate these!

Its terrible Quality makes you want to wash your hands after you press on of the cheap buttons.

Please help be bring these Fakes off the Market!!!

The staggering amount of virtual pets being sold as "Tamagotchi" is hard to believe at first.

I get the mindset of people selling them. Tamagotchis are usually very pricey, and this item looks similar to a Tamagotchi and I can sell it for a much lower price.

Anyone who doesn't know what a real Tamagotchi is can and will be easily tricked and attracted to the lower price tag.

Unfortunately there isn't really much we can do about it except educate other people on how to differentiate them from real and fake ones.

Oh geez, I know right???? My mom was all like "I bought a tamagotchi on wish" AND I WAS LIKE MOM NOOOOOOOOO ITS FAKE

How can people not tell by the 4 buttons???????

AND NOT TO MENTION THERE'S SO MANY OF THEM!!!!

I'm constantly tama hunting on Ebay so it's annoying when you set it to show you items from lowest price up, because theres literally over a thousand listings for the fakes that show up first! I have to set it to be tamagotchis that are 10 dollars and up to really see anything, and even then it's just a bunch of fakes!!!

ALSO on etsy someone made tamagotchi earrings with the fakes, which i would wear if they weren't fake!!!! It's just the 4 button thing that throws it off really,,, like if the fakes had 3 buttons I'd probably be like okay I'm buying these earrings, but no??? THEY'RE LIKE $20 EARRINGS MADE OF FAKE TAMAGOTCHIS THAT WERE ONLY A DOLLAR? NO THANKS

like i'm rlly bummed people are scamming people with these fake gotchis man

Yes, How how HOW have BANDAI let this Franchise go on?!? They can easily take this CRUD of the market, cant they?

If you are struggling to tell them apart, then here is some advice:

1. They have 4 Strangly Placed Rubber buttons, that are usually Orange

2. They are labels Cyber Pet or Tamagotchi Connection

3. They come in an egg shaped capsule that verifys the colour you are getting

4. They have Normal Pets or Humans Wich you can painfully raise in a piece of Chinese CRUD.

Hopefully This helps new Tamagotchi collectors when Buying these:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, How how HOW have BANDAI let this Franchise go on?!? They can easily take this CRUD of the market, can’t they?
Actually, no. Due to China's approach to copyright laws, Bandai unfortunately really can't do a lot about it.

As Nazotchi25 says, it's down to the enthusiast community to provide information on what these things really are, and how to avoid them. Then all we can do is hope that people who are on the fence will find the information before being caught out by the counterfeits.

Without the blinders of having encountered a fake Tamagotchi, I've actually reviewed and even briefly logged a generic virtual pet that uses the same software that the fake Tamagotchi Connection units use, and I documented it in detail in the hope that others would find the information and realise what the counterfeit Tamagotchis actually are. I did this because most people simply dismiss them as bad without providing details about them that people who've ended up with one would be able to find online.

I think that it's pretty fair to call the counterfeits less of a virtual pet simulation, and more a simulation of a virtual pet! I'd recommend the non-counterfeit generic virtual pets to an enthusiast who wants to mess with something weird (and super-cheap) for a change, but to anyone else I highly recommend avoiding them, as they're really not good virtual pets.

EDIT: And I think that it's worth adding that, to make things worse, these virtual pets actually do include copied Tamagotchi characters as an option! They're not animated, they don't evolve, and they just slide around the screen the same as any of the other options do, but they're certainly there.

Oh man, I have owned a fake before but it does not sound as bad as this!!!
I knew what I was getting into, and I approached it as the generic virtual pet that it is (hence why I bought the penguin-shaped version, and not one of the ones in a counterfeit Tamagotchi Connection shell), rather than as anything on-par with a Tamagotchi, and accordingly I had fun with it. But you can probably see what I mean about it being a simulation of a virtual pet, now! :lol:

Unless you're deliberately trying to find some fun in the software (and I'll be fair, here, the games are actually better than the ones on some of the genuine Tamagotchi Connection models), these things are very, very bad.

They literally just poop and play games - they don't sleep (the device just automatically powers off after a while), they don't have a life-cycle (they only die when the batteries die), and they don't even tell the time, because they forget it after you've set it. And they don't even move, they just slide around.

Oh man, as some may know, I had a fake Tama, it’s gone now, and also WHAT ABOUT THE APPS LABELED TAMAGOTCHI like the only real tamagotchi app is my tamagotchi forever. Sorry I’m just so mad about these ughhhhhhhh someone get them off!

I also collect anime figures and there are SO. MANY. counterfeit figures on ebay. I'm a newer collector of virtual pets but my experience with anime figures had taught me how to spot fakes.

-Anything too cheap. If the price is too good to be true it probably is

-I am wary of anything coming from China or if it says "China version"

-Many fakes come with the wrong number of buttons and say something like "49 in one pet"

I actually bought some virtual pets I know are fake or counterfeit and plan on doing some reviews. I have one already but I also plan on making a YouTube video when they all get here.

You can click here for the existing review. The blog is sparse for now but I just started it.

I'm not trying to shamelessly plug myself, but I've been burned by a counterfeit Sailor Moon figure when I first started collecting. Other more experienced collectors helped me and I want to return the favor.

Just been a victim of this from wish.

I feel for the fake Tamagotchi+Color scam :(

It literally broke a day after using - the sound was all rustled and awful.

So yeah... please be careful with what you buy guys, these are FAKE:

s-l300.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Just been a victim of this from wish.

I feel for the fake Tamagotchi+Color scam :(

It literally broke a day after using - the sound was all rustled and awful.

So yeah... please be careful with what you buy guys, these are FAKE:

s-l300.jpg
If this was advertised as being genuine and you used PayPal, then you may still have some chance of being refunded.

Just a bit of advice, though: There is nothing genuine on Wish. Good for generic items though Wish may be, anything that you might find there that purports to be genuine, officially-licensed, and so on, simply isn't and never will be - it's a major hotspot for counterfeit goods.

In this case, my understanding is that the branding on the packaging, "Q-Pet", has previously been used on some China-only virtual pets, which suggests that these Tamagotchi Plus Colour lookalikes may be from the same company.

Actually there ARE genuine things on Wish if you know what to look at. People have bought real (though refurbished) iPad Pro's and older Macbooks. Not all things there ship from China!

Are you using the batteries that came with it (if they came with any)? Don't use these, provide your own.

This is a version tons of people have bought willingly because of how unique it is. The company, M&D, is actually a very good company for one that makes mostly knockoffs. They make Nana Moon and it's an amazing and original virtual pet. And yes, they make Q-pets as well.

Actually there ARE genuine things on Wish if you know what to look at. People have bought real (though refurbished) iPad Pro's and older Macbooks. Not all things there ship from China!
Thanks Jhud - I didn't know that.

I should have been clearer, really. I was referring to Wish offerings for toys and collectibles in this context, which are invariably counterfeits.

Wow, thats a first. I never knew that they made fake colour tamas. The package looks alright though. Wierd!

And Seriously, the company that made that fake did a good job, 3 buttons, the tabs are on point, everything looks fine! I would have probably fallen for it myself if you didnt point it out.

So at a family gathering today, and a bunch of the nieces and nephews all had fake tamas - the B&W pixel type, 4 buttons, 32-in-1 pet. I was asked to help them learn how to use them. Apparently one of them came missing the screws holding the battery plate in place. From memory, the kids could:

- read to it (book animation)

- feed it snacks or meal

- exercise it (this was weird)

- give it medicine (ambulance animation and then a plunging syringe)

- clean its poop

There seemed to be a fake communication icon that was always on, too? It had multiple meters - EQ, Heart, Food and Health. And if it slept you could turn the lights on and off, too. I don't remember any games.

Eventually, they all chose which pet type they wanted, and started to learn and get excited about their virtual pets. I tried to help by making up a story about the pets - there really seemed to be little incentive other than keeping meters full.

To be fair, their parents didn't have much money for many proper new toys, especially as these kids fight quite a bit and often break toys if they don't get bored of them first. I know it's a pain to see so many fake tamas while looking for our next great deal or favorite shell, but a lot of "rip-off" ebay and Wish is an option for people looking for alternatives to things that are just too expensive, just so their too-young-to-know kids don't feel like they're missing out (perfect example of this is the My Little Pony rip-off, My Lovely Horse). Knowing how much I've spent on even my cheapest tamas, it's just not an option for these guys, especially as ebay sellers just keep increasing the prices on anything tama related knowing us collectors will usually happily pay.

Not saying it's right, but just something to think about I guess.

So at a family gathering today, and a bunch of the nieces and nephews all had fake tamas - the B&W pixel type, 4 buttons, 32-in-1 pet. I was asked to help them learn how to use them. Apparently one of them came missing the screws holding the battery plate in place. From memory, the kids could:

- read to it (book animation)

- feed it snacks or meal

- clean its poop

There seemed to be a fake communication icon that was always on, too? It had multiple meters - EQ, Heart, Food and Health. And if it slept you could turn the lights on and off, too. I don't remember any games.

Eventually, they all chose which pet type they wanted, and started to learn and get excited about their virtual pets. I tried to help by making up a story about the pets - there really seemed to be little incentive other than keeping meters full.

To be fair, their parents didn't have much money for many proper new toys, especially as these kids fight quite a bit and often break toys if they don't get bored of them first. I know it's a pain to see so many fake tamas while looking for our next great deal or favorite shell, but a lot of "rip-off" ebay and Wish is an option for people looking for alternatives to things that are just too expensive, just so their too-young-to-know kids don't feel like they're missing out (perfect example of this is the My Little Pony rip-off, My Lovely Horse). Knowing how much I've spent on even my cheapest tamas, it's just not an option for these guys, especially as ebay sellers just keep increasing the prices on anything tama related knowing us collectors will usually happily pay.

The description here sounds a lot like software from a particular type of legitimate virtual pet, sold under the name of "Virtual PETs", and offered by a UK giftware company called Funtime. I know because I own one myself (they're currently being carried by Hawkin's Bazaar which is a big gifts chain here in the UK, after the success of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini, and they cost the same as those do). It's actually quite a nice virtual pet with nice animal-designs and evolutions, marred only by the fact that the clock gains time at an incredible speed, meaning that it's eventually awake during the night, and will die quickly without care at that point.

Are these actually being sold in counterfeit Tamagotchi shells, now, or are they still being sold as the generic virtual pets that they are? If they're being offered as counterfeits now, that's unfortunate.

There's a difference between generic copycat products (Virtual PETs, My Lovely Horse, supermarket-brand cola, etc.) and commercial copyright and trademark infringement, after all - and it's important not to get information about this muddled, since I think that it's important to have a resource for information about counterfeits.

^Yeah, its important to remember that just something is a copycat, doesn't mean its a "fake". A fake is when something actively tries to be another thing and deceive people.

I really had to think myself through here.

The VIRTUAL PETs You were talking about, I had one!

There was no games, and eventually every 5 minutes or so later it would scream at you in pain.

Eventually I had to chuck it out, due to the reset button getting jammed in the circuit board, the button was already deep in the fanatical it's self. The sound was all rusted, and eventually some of the pixels starting turning more blue than black, and some of them just disappeard in general. The Pink shell design was the cheapest, so maybe that is why a girl I know had one her bag the other day. The price is ok, for what you are getting. But again, some knock offs on eBay (Those good old connections) cost 1p!

So at a family gathering today, and a bunch of the nieces and nephews all had fake tamas - the B&W pixel type, 4 buttons, 32-in-1 pet. I was asked to help them learn how to use them. Apparently one of them came missing the screws holding the battery plate in place. From memory, the kids could:- read to it (book animation)

- feed it snacks or meal

- clean its poop

Omg really! I had this one. The pixels and shell were terrible

Latest posts

Back