Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Jhud and penguin-keeper on the counterfeit vs copycat/rip-off difference. I've also noticed with some items the counterfeit is so bad it may as well be a rip-off, and vice versa - in this case it's obvious for tama collectors, but for others like parents or kids, not so obvious. I guess I'm just wondering whether information on counterfeits is more for the tama community only or for anyone who thinks they're getting a tamagotchi.

These ones my neices & nephews had looked very similar to the ones on eBay that say "tamagotchi connection" but are clearly not actual tamas - but they still didn't look the same. I actually can't find the ones these kids had on ebay, so now I'm curious where their parents purchased them from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they say VIRTUALPETs Or Tamgotchi Connection on them?
I can't remember. I'm leaning towards virtual pet (at least not "tamagotchi connection") but the glimpse I saw of the packaging from far away looked almost identical to the 20th Anniversary chibi packaging...

I guess I'm just wondering whether information on counterfeits is more for the tama community only or for anyone who thinks they're getting a tamagotchi.
I think that such information should ideally be useful to both groups.

It'd be helpful for collectors in providing information about counterfeits and helping others with less experience of spotting them to do the same, and, on the other side of that coin, it'd be helpful for virtual pet enthusiasts who want to pick up bizarre additions to their collection, too. (I picked up a generic 168-in-1 virtual pet that uses the same software as the counterfeit four-button Tamagotchi Connections found on eBay, because I couldn't resist the stupidity of it, for example.)

Likewise, it might help people who are looking for a real Tamagotchi, but who might have gotten caught out by one of the fakes, or who might have spotted a red-flag about them and wanted to learn more - if they were to search for information on what they have, or what they've seen, because it's not what they remember a real Tamagotchi being like, then they might find their way to the information located on TamaTalk.

I wrote a review of the aforementioned generic 168-in-1 virtual pet here for the latter reason, and it actually did have that effect at one point.

I can't remember. I'm leaning towards virtual pet (at least not "tamagotchi connection") but the glimpse I saw of the packaging from far away looked almost identical to the 20th Anniversary chibi packaging...
For what it's worth, the Virtual PETs that I mentioned looks like this;

fImGUr6.jpg

Here's a stock-photo of a boxed one, straight from the manufacturer's website.

DT2b9cL.jpg

And here's my own one, running. That's the penguin hatchling, before it turns into something that actually resembles a penguin, for what it's worth. :p

It'd actually be a nice virtual pet if it didn't have the clock problem... (I wrote a little bit about this one here and here.)

There's a 49-in-1 version of Virtual PETs, as well, but I don't have one so I don't know what the differences are from the 32-in-1 version. However, going by reviews that I've seen, it sounds like the 49-in-1 version might also have the clock issue.

I feel like many sellers of fakes are trying to use the Tamagotchi title to attract more possible customers since they're naming a popular brand in their titles. It's unfortunate that it happens so much but at least most of the fakes are quite easy to spot. :huh:

I feel like many sellers of fakes are trying to use the Tamagotchi title to attract more possible customers since they're naming a popular brand in their titles. It's unfortunate that it happens so much but at least most of the fakes are quite easy to spot. :huh:
Unfortunately, we're not referring to generic virtual pets where auction-titles have the word Tamagotchi included so as to catch people's attention, here.

YeHxza5.png

0awfzz3.jpg

As you can see, they don't just put the name in auction-titles and on listing images, but they also put it on the product and on the packaging. The counterfeits have the Tamagotchi Connection logo on them - that's why they're counterfeits. The intention is to deceive.

Anyway, they're not easy to spot for a lot of people, unfortunately. I once saw a video-review of one that was created by a person who'd spoken about how they owned a Tamagotchi when they were a child; They had no idea that the four-button fake was a counterfeit product, and then concluded that people shouldn't bother with the Tamagotchi Connection because it's bad. They later edited the video's title to clarify that it was actually a fake after numerous comments on the video pointed out that it was a fake.

I think that such information should ideally be useful to both groups.
It'd be helpful for collectors in providing information about counterfeits and helping others with less experience of spotting them to do the same, and, on the other side of that coin, it'd be helpful for virtual pet enthusiasts who want to pick up bizarre additions to their collection, too. (I picked up a generic 168-in-1 virtual pet that uses the same software as the counterfeit four-button Tamagotchi Connections found on eBay, because I couldn't resist the stupidity of it, for example.)

Likewise, it might help people who are looking for a real Tamagotchi, but who might have gotten caught out by one of the fakes, or who might have spotted a red-flag about them and wanted to learn more - if they were to search for information on what they have, or what they've seen, because it's not what they remember a real Tamagotchi being like, then they might find their way to the information located on TamaTalk.

I wrote a review of the aforementioned generic 168-in-1 virtual pet here for the latter reason, and it actually did have that effect at one point.

For what it's worth, the Virtual PETs that I mentioned looks like this;

fImGUr6.jpg

Here's a stock-photo of a boxed one, straight from the manufacturer's website.

DT2b9cL.jpg

And here's my own one, running. That's the penguin hatchling, before it turns into something that actually resembles a penguin, for what it's worth. :p

It'd actually be a nice virtual pet if it didn't have the clock problem... (I wrote a little bit about this one here and here.)

There's a 49-in-1 version of Virtual PETs, as well, but I don't have one so I don't know what the differences are from the 32-in-1 version. However, going by reviews that I've seen, it sounds like the 49-in-1 version might also have the clock issue.
Yes that’s the one I had! Accept I had a pink one!

I think the reason they called them ‘VIRTUAL PETs’ Is because they were trying to make a knock off but at the same time getting the money rolling in.

But again, another (Sorry If everyone gets mad at me for this) Knock-off.

I think the reason they called them ‘VIRTUAL PETs’ Is because they were trying to make a knock off but at the same time getting the money rolling in.

But again, another (Sorry If everyone gets mad at me for this) Knock-off.
No. This is a generic product, not a knock-off. It's not trying to convince anyone that it's something that it's not. It's just using the product-category's generic name because that's what it is - it's promoted and sold as a nostalgic curiousity, not as a "Tamagotchi Connection".

Unfortunately, education about how to identify and avoid counterfeits in all areas of life is generally bad, hence why counterfeit goods are so prevalent (because people keep buying them). Incorrectly labelling competing generic items as knock-offs doesn't help that.

I really had to think myself through here.The VIRTUAL PETs You were talking about, I had one!

There was no games, and eventually every 5 minutes or so later it would scream at you in pain.

Eventually I had to chuck it out, due to the reset button getting jammed in the circuit board, the button was already deep in the fanatical it's self. The sound was all rusted, and eventually some of the pixels starting turning more blue than black, and some of them just disappeard in general. The Pink shell design was the cheapest, so maybe that is why a girl I know had one her bag the other day. The price is ok, for what you are getting. But again, some knock offs on eBay (Those good old connections) cost 1p!

So It Kind Of works like a Giga pet. Its not an exact copy, but is very similar to tamagotchis. I thought it through this time, the company decided to potentially Bring back The Tamas without getting caught by putting it for the name.

I mean, face it. Knockoffs, Fakes, ect. Are complicated :D

A virtual pet labeled "Virtual Pet" is like when you go to the store, and next to the Pepsi and Coca-cola, they have the store brand of "Cola" for a dollar cheaper. It's not a knock off or a fake, it's just a similar, cheaper product made to appeal to people who don't want to spend full price. It's only a knock off or a fake if they are actively trying to deceive you and make you think it's that actual product.

A virtual pet labeled "Virtual Pet" is like when you go to the store, and next to the Pepsi and Coca-cola, they have the store brand of "Cola" for a dollar cheaper. It's not a knock off or a fake, it's just a similar, cheaper product made to appeal to people who don't want to spend full price. It's only a knock off or a fake if they are actively trying to deceive you and make you think it's that actual product.
This is ECTACTLY What I was Looking for!

Just thought I'd mention this here but, has anyone else been getting any "Get a free Tamagotchi here!" adds on this site? I've been noticing quite a few show up lately, and all of them have the fake 4 button Connections on them.
That's really unfortunate. Have you reported it to any of the site staff to see if they're able to take some sort of action about it?

I'm ordering a bunch of these fake connections. They may be cheap, crappy and low quality but as a collector I must have them all.

Yeah, the websites that give them away free is basically just promoting the fakes, its called TamagotchiCub. Yeah..

It's just a scam. They're not "free", you have to pay a shipping fee which is worth more than the fake itself.

Wow. That really is terrible.

I don’t see the purpose of calling them free if this is the case, it probably Varys from where you live.

Latest posts

Back