KidRetro64

Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet

No I haven't. Do you think you could tell me how?

I guess just drop a PM to one of the moderators or admins to let them know what happened.

It's exactly the same shell as the DigiPet. Only with Tamagotchi written on it.

Here's the DigiPet version from my collection.

digipet.jpg

I have actually never seen that DigiPet version before. Is it a new make? Or am I just new to all of this

Oh man, as some may know, I had a fake Tama, it’s gone now, and also WHAT ABOUT THE APPS LABELED TAMAGOTCHI like the only real tamagotchi app is my tamagotchi forever. Sorry I’m just so mad about these ughhhhhhhh someone get them off!

You forgot Tamagotchi Classic and Tamagotchi Classic v2, those are the real apps.

So at a family gathering today, and a bunch of the nieces and nephews all had fake tamas - the B&W pixel type, 4 buttons, 32-in-1 pet. I was asked to help them learn how to use them. Apparently one of them came missing the screws holding the battery plate in place. From memory, the kids could:

- read to it (book animation)

- feed it snacks or meal

- exercise it (this was weird)

- give it medicine (ambulance animation and then a plunging syringe)

- clean its poop

There seemed to be a fake communication icon that was always on, too? It had multiple meters - EQ, Heart, Food and Health. And if it slept you could turn the lights on and off, too. I don't remember any games.

Eventually, they all chose which pet type they wanted, and started to learn and get excited about their virtual pets. I tried to help by making up a story about the pets - there really seemed to be little incentive other than keeping meters full.

To be fair, their parents didn't have much money for many proper new toys, especially as these kids fight quite a bit and often break toys if they don't get bored of them first. I know it's a pain to see so many fake tamas while looking for our next great deal or favorite shell, but a lot of "rip-off" ebay and Wish is an option for people looking for alternatives to things that are just too expensive, just so their too-young-to-know kids don't feel like they're missing out (perfect example of this is the My Little Pony rip-off, My Lovely Horse). Knowing how much I've spent on even my cheapest tamas, it's just not an option for these guys, especially as ebay sellers just keep increasing the prices on anything tama related knowing us collectors will usually happily pay.

Not saying it's right, but just something to think about I guess.

I think I know which one you are referring to. Did the "exercise" look like this (suddenly growing a human arm with a halter)?

36j5f.jpg

That is a common white-label Tamagotchi clone sold under a thousand different brands and shells, sometimes with three buttons, sometimes with four buttons, almost always called "Virtual Pet".

Me, my brother, and one of my friends had those as a kid. It was horrible. Horrible. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Making up a story about the animals probably only made things worse, because they are guaranteed to die unless you send the "ambulance" at them 20 times in a row. No, seriously, that's how you keep them alive. At least, that's what my brother discovered, because I had already stopped playing with it.

We actually believed it was Tamagotchi. It's not a budget option, it's a scam. Not having much money only makes it worse because that money could have been saved up.

I really hope you actually told the kids they got a fake, because I absolutely didn't know it was fake, and it was a matter of pure luck that I got the real thing afterwards.

^Yeah, its important to remember that just something is a copycat, doesn't mean its a "fake". A fake is when something actively tries to be another thing and deceive people.

No. This is a generic product, not a knock-off. It's not trying to convince anyone that it's something that it's not. It's just using the product-category's generic name because that's what it is - it's promoted and sold as a nostalgic curiousity, not as a "Tamagotchi Connection".

Unfortunately, education about how to identify and avoid counterfeits in all areas of life is generally bad, hence why counterfeit goods are so prevalent (because people keep buying them). Incorrectly labelling competing generic items as knock-offs doesn't help that.

You don't need to explicitly say "Tamagotchi" in order to fool people into thinking that's what it is. It definitely fooled me at least. And that's obviously what these manufacturers are going for. They have no original mechanics. (Not to mention that the media has tried to make people believe that "Tamagotchi" isn't a name but a generic synonym term for "Virtual Pet")

Edited by Jop

You don't need to explicitly say "Tamagotchi" in order to fool people into thinking that's what it is. It definitely fooled me at least. And that's obviously what these manufacturers are going for. They have no original mechanics.

But for people to call it a "scam", a "knock-off", a "fake", a "counterfeit", and to suggest that they were trying to "fool" people, and so on, the manufacturer actually does need to be showing an intent to deceive, and the product actually does need to be falsely branded as the real thing.

The legitimate manufacturer of this product, who can be found here, is clearly not showing an intent to deceive, or any attempt at copyright or trademark infringement. They market it clearly as what it is, and that's a generic virtual pet, in generic packaging that in no way resembles that of a Bandai product, that happens to be called "Virtual PETs" - even on the shell.

It'd be a half-decent generic pet if the clock didn't run at ultra-speed, thus leading to it never leading a full lifespan. That and the fact that it has this problem but costs the same as a Tamagotchi are the only things that are really wrong with it.

Edited by Penguin-keeper

I have actually never seen that DigiPet version before. Is it a new make? Or am I just new to all of this

I found it by chance. It was over a year ago. They were selling them in my local convenience store. Never seen them before and never seen them since. The store is different now under new name and new management.

• Like 1

(Not to mention that the media has tried to make people believe that "Tamagotchi" isn't a name but a generic synonym term for "Virtual Pet")

My apologies, Jop - I missed this edit of yours before, because it was posted after I had replied to you.

This is actually nothing to do with "the media" - this is just something that's done by normal people. It's the same as people genericising the brand-name Hoover to refer to vacuum-cleaners, or the brand-name Google to refer to internet searches, and it's part of why companies have to work to protect and enforce their trademarks.

I found it by chance. It was over a year ago. They were selling them in my local convenience store. Never seen them before and never seen them since. The store is different now under new name and new management.

I wonder if the DigiPet came before the flood of counterfeit Tamagotchi Connections, or after?

• Like 1

My apologies, Jop - I missed this edit of yours before, because it was posted after I had replied to you.

No, it's my fault. I went to make the edit only to see you had already replied, but I made the edit anyway.

• Like 1

I wonder if the DigiPet came before the flood of counterfeit Tamagotchi Connections, or after?

Difficult to say but I never knew of the fake tamagotchi connections when I bought this one. My new fake arrived today. Will share it soon.

• Like 1

Ok here it is. Transparent pink in the V2 style. I love it. Will keep it sealed as it reminds me of Scarlett xxx ♡

20180601_030320-1.jpg

Ok here it is. Transparent pink in the V2 style. I love it. Will keep it sealed as it reminds me of Scarlett xxx ♡20180601_030320-1.jpg

Ha ha. Looks like a total fake. Or maybe that’s because it is. Whatever. Enjoy your new “Tama”.

Ha ha. Looks like a total fake. Or maybe that’s because it is. Whatever. Enjoy your new “Tama”.

That's what makes it so special in my collection. It has the audacity to put Tamagotchi Connection on the actual shell. The nerve. It'll become a piece of Tamagotchi history.

• Like 2

Amazon is selling them too, complete with "Tamagotchi Connection" on the packaging and shell. They are high in the search results.

https://www.amazon.de/Tamagotchi-verschiedene-Farben-elektronisches-Haustier/dp/B076GHTXP4/ref=sr_1_7?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1528219058&sr=1-7&keywords=tamagotchi

71QH3TLlQlL.jpg

(Picture taken from one of the reviews)

Edited by Jop
  • Like 1

Every time someone buys one of these my soul dies a little bit.

• Like 2

Yeah just saw a little girl yesterday with a blue fake one :(

• Sad 1

Bandai really isn't helping, though. They could make quite a lot of nostalgia money by reproducing many of their older models. Hoepfully, that's what the P1 rerelease is leading toward.

Bandai really isn't helping, though. They could make quite a lot of nostalgia money by reproducing many of their older models. Hoepfully, that's what the P1 rerelease is leading toward.

Honestly, even if Bandai did have a full range of older models on offer for the nostalgia market, the counterfeit problem would still exist, and it would still be in no way influenced by them.

The sad fact is, counterfeits (of everything, not just Tamagotchis) are extremely commonplace and education about how to identify them is poor, and that is why they persist. It's nothing to do with the companies who produce the genuine products, and due to the handling of copyright laws in some countries, there's very often little that the legitimate rights-holders can do to stop it.

To cite a non-entertainment-related example, that's why we see people who are shocked by what's actually contained in fake cosmetics once they have a bad reaction to them, because the common, incorrect assumption is that it's only the packaging that's fake, not the ingredients of the make-up itself. And, worse, there are the sad cases where people aren't aware of fake electrical products until there's a tragic outcome.

But that's getting a bit off-track, admittedly. My point is, the only thing that will make a difference is better education about counterfeit products and how to avoid them.

• Like 2

Honestly, even if Bandai did have a full range of older models on offer for the nostalgia market, the counterfeit problem would still exist, and it would still be in no way influenced by them.

The sad fact is, counterfeits (of everything, not just Tamagotchis) are extremely commonplace and education about how to identify them is poor, and that is why they persist. It's nothing to do with the companies who produce the genuine products, and due to the handling of copyright laws in some countries, there's very often little that the legitimate rights-holders can do to stop it.

To cite a non-entertainment-related example, that's why we see people who are shocked by what's actually contained in fake cosmetics once they have a bad reaction to them, because the common, incorrect assumption is that it's only the packaging that's fake, not the ingredients of the make-up itself. And, worse, there are the sad cases where people aren't aware of fake electrical products until there's a tragic outcome.

But that's getting a bit off-track, admittedly. My point is, the only thing that will make a difference is better education about counterfeit products and how to avoid them.

Yeah, but if you wanna complain to Bandai you gotta learn Japanese first. I am not even kidding check the website. And the post its self is in English so yeah😐 Bandai really dont care about the money drifting away infrount of their eyes

Edited by KidRetro64