KidRetro64

Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet

Yeah, but if you wanna complain to Bandai you gotta learn Japanese first. I am not even kidding check the website. And the post its self is in English so yeah Bandai really dont care about the money drifting away infrount of their eyes

Did you quote the wrong post? I'm really sorry, but I don't see how this applies to what I said... :P

• Like 1

You don't have to learn Japanese to complain to Bandai, they have branches in different languages for a reason... They're a company. A company by definition is a international thing, lol.

I don't really care about buying fake Tamagotchis really, maybe it makes me a bad person but I really couldn't care less if I'm being honest.

• Like 3

Their marketing is also partially to blame. They could have a massive resurgence right now if they wanted to, refreshing everyone's memory on what a REAL Tamagotchi looks like...

• Like 3

Their marketing is also partially to blame. They could have a massive resurgence right now if they wanted to, refreshing everyone's memory on what a REAL Tamagotchi looks like...

This is true, and that sort of falls under the bracket of "education" about this sort of thing, really.

Even the original English slogan for the Tamagotchi line played a part in this, back in the day. By calling it "The Original Virtual Reality Pet", it creates a bit of an implication that other rivals aren't the same, and that there must also be knock-offs about. :lol:

• Like 1

It's also important to never buy from Wish.com. That store is just terrible.

Although I can't even search "Tamagotchi" on eBay or Amazon without getting a ton of results like this:

s-l300.jpg

It's the exact same bootleg over and over too, who the heck is pumping these things out? They're everywhere, lol.

If they just called themselves an original name it wouldn't bother me, but the deception is the part that's annoying.

Edited by Birbplant
  • Like 3

Ok here’s a funny story that happens today-

I am currently in France (So I will probably not be posting much) and I went into this toy shop and at the front, they have a BUNCH of 20th anaversary tamas, and then those cheap classic sad old fake ones next to it?!?!!?

Yeah, kinda weird!

(Also I found out a skateboard costs less than an fake Tamagotchi, (Fakes-17, Real-7 euros)

Ok here’s a funny story that happens today-

I am currently in France (So I will probably not be posting much) and I went into this toy shop and at the front, they have a BUNCH of 20th anaversary tamas, and then those cheap classic sad old fake ones next to it?!?!!?

Yeah, kinda weird!

(Also I found out a skateboard costs less than an fake Tamagotchi, (Fakes-17, Real-7 euros)

Were they seriously selling counterfeit goods next to genuine items?! :o

Were they seriously selling counterfeit goods next to genuine items?! :o

Oh yes they were!

• Like 2

That's kind of normal in Europe.

• Like 2

That's kind of normal in Europe.

Really? I have never seen it happen before!

• Like 1

Hey, small question, when the fake tamagotchi connections/ virtual PETS etc. Use the tamagotchi characters on the packaging or the connection logo on the shell, are they allowed to do that to promote their brands?

Hey, small question, when the fake tamagotchi connections/ virtual PETS etc. Use the tamagotchi characters on the packaging or the connection logo on the shell, are they allowed to do that to promote their brands?

No. The Tamagotchi brand doesn't belong to them, so they aren't allowed to use anything relating to it unless they're paying Bandai to do so. If a company is using a brand without a license, the intent is to deceive.

Virtual PETs is a generic product that does not do this, so I don't know why you named it here. You can see its packaging here - they only use generic pixel animals, and generic packaging that is not even remotely attempting to deceive.

No. The Tamagotchi brand doesn't belong to them, so they aren't allowed to use anything relating to it unless they're paying Bandai to do so. If a company is using a brand without a license, the intent is to deceive.

Virtual PETs is a generic product that does not do this, so I don't know why you named it here. You can see its packaging here - they only use generic pixel animals, and generic packaging that is not even remotely attempting to deceive.

Thanks! Ok, first off, when I said virtual PETS I meant that as an example of another brand that may/may not be a knockoff f tamagotchis (not that it is, I know that), not that it used the tamagotchi characters or logo on it, y’ know? Also, back a while ago someone posted a picture of a fake colour tamagotchi that had the tamagotchi characters all over the packaging. Why hasn’t this been reported/taken down yet?

• Like 1

Thanks!

No problem. :)

Ok, first off, when I said virtual PETS I meant that as an example of another brand that may/may not be a knockoff f tamagotchis (not that it is, I know that), not that it used the tamagotchi characters or logo on it, y’ know?

Ahh, ok!

Also, back a while ago someone posted a picture of a fake colour tamagotchi that had the tamagotchi characters all over the packaging. Why hasn’t this been reported/taken down yet?

Unfortunately, there's really nothing that can be done about this.

The reason for this is because a lot of fake items originate in China, which has a very different approach to copyright law to many other countries, to put it lightly. The upshot of this is that, very often, the legitimate rights-holders can do little or nothing about counterfeits.

Without a doubt, Bandai will be aware of it, but chances are that whatever action they can take isn't enough to put a stop to it.

In the end, the only solution is better education about spotting counterfeits on the consumer side - not just with these toys, but in general.

• Like 1

When you get a fake you really understand why they are hated that spectral ammount, my fake is just terrible.

• Like 2

But if people buy the fakes thinking they're actual bandai's and see how bad they are, isn't that stopping bandai from doing as well as they could? Put it this way: people try the fakes and just 'eh', but if people tried the actual p1's or something maybe - I don't even know how to word this. You get what I'm trying (and failing) to say, right?

• Like 3