Izzyd07

Same sex tama marriages

I have two things to say:

1. Same-sex couples in the Sims 4 can't Try For Baby without mods or flipping the sex settings of one of the Sims to the opposite.
2. I'd just prefer they remove genders from Tamagotchis entirely and make them all able to "spawn" eggs upon meeting a partner (or maybe even alone if they never mate). They are aliens. They don't need to work like earth creatures do, and it's rather implausible that they do.

• Like 2

In Sims 4 it’s more like same gender couples can have babies, not same sex. Sex and gender are separate concepts, in Sims 4 sims with custom gender are emulating experiences of transgender people. While I’m a trans guy I do think that being transgender would be a bit too much to include in such a simple toy for kids though, so let’s stay within the same sex scenario. 

While humans in real life cannot reproduce on same sex basis without scientific help (it’s possible for two cis female individuals to have biological offspring via bone marrow but it’s costly and still experimental), a LOT of animals can:

-All animals that have some sort of hermaphroditism (snails)

-All animals that can change sex at will (a lot of fish, including clownfish)

-Animals that just happen to be able to reproduce despite being of same sex (mexican whiptail lizards are all female- males do exist but they are „useless” as its the females who mate and reproduce. Yes they do need to mate, they don’t produce eggs asexually)

-Animals that do not adhere to the human perceived gender binary, like bees. We think that all bees except drones are female but scientifically speaking, it’s more accurate to say that every „inherent role” in a bee’s world is a whole separate sex. 

All of this is 100% scientific, biological, supported by facts and non-political. Tamagotchi creatures are nonhumanoid aliens that lay eggs, and after all the toy DID treat the whole gender thing very loosely in the early versions. I think getting rid of the gender marker would be the best possible option, and not impossible- Gudeta in Sanrio Mix is genderless! Japan is pretty accepting of the idea of genderless characters, you  can see them quite often even in media for children.

A lot of people complain about male characters in the color versions, especially one where mixing is an option, are „ugly”, so making all characters gender neutral would be the best bet for this problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kuchikid said:

1. Same-sex couples in the Sims 4 can't Try For Baby without mods or flipping the sex settings of one of the Sims to the opposite.
2. I'd just prefer they remove genders from Tamagotchis entirely and make them all able to "spawn" eggs upon meeting a partner (or maybe even alone if they never mate). They are aliens. They don't need to work like earth creatures do, and it's rather implausible that they do.

I would love to see genders removed as well! 

I'd love to see the the sexes removed from tamas! They didn't used to have them, and I thought it added charm. I always thought of the different tamas as like "species" I suppose? Kind of like how the pokemon, Gardevoir, could be male or female regardless of how feminine the "species" (breed??) is. It's a children's toy, and they were supposed to be aliens originally, I don't see why they couldn't go back to being a bit more gender neutral. I could argue that the sex specifics are to help with easier navigation with the evolution pathways, but those could be solved with other methods as well. I'm always excited to see more gender neutrality and I think it'd allow for more creativity if nothing else! 💖

~ Miau :wub:

The Sims 4's "change your gender at any time in front of the mirror" system renders the entire concept of gender completely pointless.

The only real point of gender, both in this world and in Tamagotchi, is that creatures of the same gender can't reproduce. If you don't want that, just leave gender out altogether like in Tamagotchi Connection.

In some ways that would be an improvement - how they implemented gender in Tamagotchi Friends was too obnoxious, but for the most part I actually think it would be a regression, as in Connection you could breed with the same friend generation after generation. Genders prevent that.

12 hours ago, Jop said:

in Connection you could breed with the same friend generation after generation.

False.

8 hours ago, kuchikid said:

False.

Pretty sure I remember that from the v3...

You couldn't keep breeding with the same friend each generation as the V3, along with others in the Connection Series, would always produce Twins of the same sex. You would have to skip a generation and hope to get different sexes next time either by Matchmaker or connecting to a different friend.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, Nazotchi25 said:

You couldn't keep breeding with the same friend each generation as the V3, along with others in the Connection Series, would always produce Twins of the same sex. You would have to skip a generation and hope to get different sexes next time either by Matchmaker or connecting to a different friend.

Yeah, that's the reason the gender system is there. But I was almost certain the v3 didn't have that. I guess my memory is a haze...

Edited by Jop

On 12/23/2018 at 11:50 AM, Izzyd07 said:

What do you guys think? Is this a feature you’d like?

No.

Aw, I think it would be a cute feature. I feel like the color editions have made the Tamagotchis more human-like, so I don't think it's completely out of left field. They could adopt a baby instead. If this was on the Mix/Meets, it would be an opportunity to start anew and get genes that are not present in the adoptive parents. However its unlikely anything like this would happen considering Japan's complicated views on sexuality. :(

On 3/4/2019 at 4:56 AM, kuchikid said:

Actually, on Sims 4 two sims of the same gender can try for a baby without mods and without switching genders. EA added a section in CAS. If you click on the three dots on the left hand side of the screen a drop down menu appears where you can choose whether you want your sim to be able to get others pregnant or become pregnant and this does not require changing the sim’s gender.

I'm inclined to say that it still isn't a thing on Tamagotchis because- unfortunately- some folks don't think it's appropriate for children. And as a business, Bandai doesn't want to lose customers because people may think they're "being political" or "pushing an agenda"

Don't get me wrong. It'd be wicked cool if they did feature that. But realistically speaking [and having experienced some homophobia myself/people saying stuff like that] it probably will not happen for a while, if ever.

And as kuchikid said, that's a really good point that they're aliens. Why should we even put gender roles onto digital aliens?

while i like the lgbt, i don't have a clean stance on allowing it on a virtual pet, i just don't think its a good idea atm, maybe wait until media won't use lgbt couples to push a cartoon or a movie? as far as im concerned, lets just keep it simple with the same sex marriages.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:34 AM, decepticoncrown said:

Aw, I think it would be a cute feature. I feel like the color editions have made the Tamagotchis more human-like, so I don't think it's completely out of left field. They could adopt a baby instead. If this was on the Mix/Meets, it would be an opportunity to start anew and get genes that are not present in the adoptive parents. However its unlikely anything like this would happen considering Japan's complicated views on sexuality. :(

that makes sense, since until recent, japan didn't allow/shamed same sex relationships.