Sign in to follow this  
GayALaMode

Meets Freezing

Heyo.

So my Magical Meets started acting up after I changed the batteries to new ones on it. What happens is that when it’s left alone and I go to turn on the screen with a button input, the screen lights up but remains frozen in place with no animations and no response from any button press, not even the corresponding sounds play for them either. This also happens when the screen goes to turn off where after doing the tamagotchis idle animation again, the screen freezes. The only solution to this I found was to reset, but oddly, it doesn’t fully reset where it brings you to the Download/Reset screen but instead restores functionality for a bit. However the problem still persists and makes playing and advancing time impossible. Any ideas of a solution to this? Should I change the batteries again?

This is unfortunately one of the many glitches on the Tamagotchi Meets. I found a Reddit post that may help, "From my understanding, there were some reports about it freezing on a black screen, not registering inputs. For this glitch, I read that just taking the batteries out to reset helped the issue." So, it seems that taking the batteries out may fix the problem.  

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 6:43 AM, tamaninjacat said:

This is unfortunately one of the many glitches on the Tamagotchi Meets. I found a Reddit post that may help, "From my understanding, there were some reports about it freezing on a black screen, not registering inputs. For this glitch, I read that just taking the batteries out to reset helped the issue." So, it seems that taking the batteries out may fix the problem.  

Yes, I’ve had that glitch happen to me with my meets and taking out the batteries and putting them back in should solve it. If it doesn’t work then try getting new batteries and see if that works.

I am having this problem with my new Tamagotchi ON, and I assume since it's just the English version of the Meets that maybe my problem is related.

I've only had mine on for 20-30 minutes in total (still a baby), and the screen has frozen on pitch black every five or ten minutes. I take the battery case off (which further strips the tiny screw it came with...) and take out and put back in the batteries each time, and then it only works for another ten minutes or less.

I know the batteries are good because they're brand new out of a box, not rechargeables, and work fine in other devices.

Any ideas about how to deal with this...? I'm thinking about just returning it to Target and opening the other one I purchased to keep in a box (collector's item). Really disappointed as this was my first color Tamagotchi of the newer gens.

2 hours ago, kbutt said:

I've only had mine on for 20-30 minutes in total (still a baby), and the screen has frozen on pitch black every five or ten minutes. I take the battery case off (which further strips the tiny screw it came with...) and take out and put back in the batteries each time, and then it only works for another ten minutes or less.

Is it visibly freezing during use, or is the display going off when not in use with the Tamagotchi still calling you when the display is black?

With the Meets, and I presume also with the ON, it's normal for the display to go to sleep after a short amount of time so that it doesn't chew through batteries like crazy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Penguin-keeper said:

Is it visibly freezing during use, or is the display going off when not in use with the Tamagotchi still calling you when the display is black?

With the Meets, and I presume also with the ON, it's normal for the display to go to sleep after a short amount of time so that it doesn't chew through batteries like crazy.

That's what I thought was happening, but it doesn't respond at all when I press the buttons. The screen stays black, and it makes no noise. It's just gone.

Pressing RESET didn't help, either—the only thing that worked was opening the battery cover, taking out the batteries, and putting them back in again. Each time I did this, it would come back on and I'd have to re-adjust the time, so I knew that whenever the screen went dead the device wasn't counting time anymore. This method worked in shorter and shorter intervals until it stopped responding completely.

This one's new out of the box, too, so really mysterious. I honestly just gave up and took out the batteries so I didn't totally drain them.

It must be a bad device, so I think I'm going to return it unless somebody knows a fix for this? Earlier posts on this thread give me the impression this might be somewhat common. I might reach out to Bandai before shipping it back to see if they can help.

• Sad 1

@kbutt - Oh, yikes, yeah, that's definitely not right. 😕

Honestly, I'd just take it back to the store - I doubt that Bandai is going to admit to shipping the ON with long-known glitches from the Meets, somehow, much less do anything about it.

• Thanks 1

You're undoubtedly right. It's really too bad, too, for the US debut of the color Tamagotchi. Hopefully not a lot of other users experience it. Thanks for the assist!

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Knighttchi's Ballad
      My Pastel Meets arrived yesterday complete with its packaging and while I was happy about, lingering in the back of my mind was why would someone want to part with such a recent Tamagotchi? Well, I have unfortunately found the answer: it freezes everytime the screen turns on after it's reset. When the screen turns on, the tamagotchi stands frozen in place during its idle animation and while pressing the buttons does cause the accompanying sound effect, eventually they stop responding altogether. And the screen stays frozen like that probably forever since mine never turned off. Reseting the device causes it to act normal till, once again, the screen goes off and then turning it back on causes it to return frozen. Interestingly, it always remains frozen on the last screen that was open - such as the clock screen or outside - rather than returning to inside the house where the standard idle animaton would resume. If the screen does turn off, then the device will act normally which I've discovered is triggered by pressing the reset button.
      Taking this together with further observation of my M!Xes - the previous Tamagotchi version - I conclude the malfunction with my Pastel Meets is that the device is missing the programming that tells it what to do when the screen resumes. On both my Spacy and 20th Anniversary M!X,  I discovered that the idle animation is not programmed to completely restart when the device is activated - as is the case with my On - but rather to resume from the last frame the animation was at when the device turned off. This was no doubt added for immersion to give the allusion that the tamagotchi continued moving off-screen instead of truly turning off. It is, of course, weak immersion since I never noticed it all this time but it does give a more immersive feel if you pay attention and turn the screen on immediately after it goes off, where the animation thus appears seemless. This explains why when I turn my Pastel Meets on, the screen is frozen on the last frame of the idle animation my tamagotchi did instead of being frozen at the start of the animation. It also explains why it freezes on both the clock screen and outside the tama's house rather than returning to inside the house and starting the idle animation.
      I already mentioned the solution to the freezing problem but, since I mentioned it as a detail, it is worth restating again: pressing the reset button causes the screen to turn off and turning it on again with the buttons causes the device to act normally. I theorize that the reason this happens is because the reset button overrides all other commands the device is being given by the programming inside of it and it always tells it to turn off the screen and then reboot which, of course, takes it to the download and clear data screen. For some reason, mine doesn't reboot but instead just turns off which I wonder may be because the programming is stalled and maybe when it recieves the command to turn off, that leads to it then being able to follow the other commands that direct it on how to behave when the screen is turned on again. If I had more programming knowledge, I could probably give a more educated guess if not answer that altogether, since all electronics are essentially machines following scripted directions written in a language the machine can understand.
      It might be worth noting that the solution I had created before I discovered the "reset trick" was simply to connect my Pastel Meets to one of M!Xes or On as I thought this might create a save point so that I wouldn't lose so much progress if I reset my Pastel Meets. I imagine this is actually true as after every connection on the Meets/On, it says that it's "updating" which of course means that it's saving data. This probably is not a good longterm solution as I would only have control during the narrow window where the device first reboots and I'd maybe have to leave it for a long time in sleepmode to reach its natural save points and then I'd have to reset it again. Or perhaps by that time I would have found out where it made all of it's natural save points and planned accordingly - whereupon it might make more sense to get a refund. I did buy it from Japan You Want and I can totally understand why they thought it was functioning fine because, oddly, none of these freezing problems happened in the baby stage - possibly because the baby stage has so much going on.
    • By Knighttchi's Ballad
      After the agony I went through trying to remove my On's faceplate following a tutorial that suggested prying from the front, I found a much better tutorial here. Instead of prying from the front, the Tamagotchi just need to be disassembled and the front half of the shell squeezed, as the link details. It's damage-free and I wish I had this earlier as my On's faceplate is damaged (thankfully, washi tape can hide that).
    • By Teehee
      Hey i would like to get your advice
      I currently have the tamagotchi mix and would like to get another one... but im still not sure which one to get.
      I really like the p's but i dont think i would be able to buy the pierces
      I like the meets but i have the mix so im still not sure if i should buy it or not
      The 4u have these attitude stuff which the mix dont have because the mix is all about seeing the outcome of your marriage
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thank you
    • By Save_Tamagotchis
      Who do you think or want to see as the special guest for December?
    • By *CrazyChick*
      I couldn't find a thread like it so I decided to come over here and post this, if this is in the wrong area I apologize in advance. I noticed there was a friend feature on the app and that not many folks talk about it, so I wanted to collect as many "friends" possible on the app to learn more about it and maybe see if it is a useful too. Or maybe none of this is necessary. Anyways Ill post my code, and feel free to add me, I love seeing everyone's little Tamas! 

• By fayystark
      Helloo!! Sorry if this has been discussed, I was having a hard time finding a topic that was specific to what I was seeing.
      I have an iPad Air running iOS 12.4.1, I've made sure the software is up to date. I have the Tamagotchi ON (Magical. Its purple) and I am able to connect to the App just fine, but whenever I try to take my items in the Present Box home, the connection fails every time.
      I replaced the batteries in my ON last week, maybe 4-5 days ago. Has anyone run into this issue before?
      Thank you to all who may be able to help. ❤️