25th Anniversary Edition Manufacturing Defects?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink Soda

Reaction score
Last week, I found that the Amazon exclusive was back down to its proper $25 price tag, so I pulled the trigger. When it arrived, I excitedly opened the packaging, only to pull the Tamagotchi out and get some oily substance all over my fingertips. I immediately dropped it back in the packaging, closed it up, washed my hands profusely, and sent it back to Amazon for a refund. Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I'd really like to have one, but I'm afraid to purchase another one, only to have the same thing happen all over again or, even worse, after owning it for awhile.

Assuming that it was sealed, I would guess that the oily substance was simply some releasing-agent that remained on the device after the shell was removed from the mould. I wouldn't call it a defect so much as an oversight, and I don't think that this would occur after you'd had the device for some time.

Yikes! What @Penguin-keeper said, but I would have also sent it back.
In a large factory the device would have had to pass through many hands, especially with assembly and quality control (literally their job to do inspections). My guess is, if it is mold release, it's from the packaging and not the tama. Either way, prolonged contact with the tama, potentially leaking into the electronic bits and bobs could potentially do damage to the internal components- I think you made the right call in returning it.

That said, I didn't have this issue(although I preordered so probably a different batch).
Since you opened that one noting the problem they definitely can't resell it as new. I'd order a new one and if it's a repeat issue then we know there's a bad batch Bandai needs to recall.

Assuming that it was sealed, I would guess that the oily substance was simply some releasing-agent that remained on the device after the shell was removed from the mould. I wouldn't call it a defect so much as an oversight, and I don't think that this would occur after you'd had the device for some time.
The packaging was sealed with one of those circular stickers in the standard place on top (though I don't know about the bottom) and didn't appear to have been tampered with. I was thinking that the issue had to do with the coating that Bandai layered on top of the translucent shell [in order to give it that oily look] having melted off in the summer heat, or some sort of heat-related chemical reaction with the plastic tray that the Tama sits in, though you could very well be right, too.

Yikes! What @Penguin-keeper said, but I would have also sent it back.
In a large factory the device would have had to pass through many hands, especially with assembly and quality control (literally their job to do inspections). My guess is, if it is mold release, it's from the packaging and not the tama. Either way, prolonged contact with the tama, potentially leaking into the electronic bits and bobs could potentially do damage to the internal components- I think you made the right call in returning it.

That said, I didn't have this issue(although I preordered so probably a different batch).
Since you opened that one noting the problem they definitely can't resell it as new. I'd order a new one and if it's a repeat issue then we know there's a bad batch Bandai needs to recall.
Yeah, I was also concerned about the internal components having been damaged, but was too freaked out by the unknown substance on my fingertips at the time to further test the Tama, before getting it back into its box and washing my hands.

If I decide to order another one in the future, I will definitely report my findings here.

Latest posts

Back