Accents

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x.:DragonFire:.x9705

Reaction score
Well me and my friends were going around talking in a different accent than usual today, so I came up with this topic. So yeah. What accent do you have? And don't just say it's "Ameican Accent" "Scottish Accent" like you have to discribe how you say some words that might be different from the way the accent is supposed to be.

Me? I have a Canadian accent, although my province kindof has an accent on it's own.

We say "just" like "jist", "ordinary" like "ord'nery" and "always" like "all-weez"

but then me, I'm a bit different than most people here. Everyone says "mom" but then I say "mum" and I have a slightly scottish accent. I also say "kind of" like "kinda" and (get this) I say "I" like "uh" xDD

I always used to think I don't have an accent, but the more I think about it, yeah I kinda do.

I have an Australian accent though I say dance as Dar-nce while others say it as Dah-nce. I also stretch out my vowels more than other people but that's the only difference.

Canadian, with a little bit of Dutch/British (xD) because my dad grew up in Holland and lived in England for 3 years.

So it's like..

- instead of "yor" (for your) I say "yoo-er"

- I say "Mi-olk" instead of "milk"

- "Coowal" instead of "Kewl" or "Cool"

- instead of "Twizzlers", "Tweh-zzlers"

- "Bretesh" for "British"

yeah. =)

I speak with this Californian twist, I think.

Even after living in Texas for two years, I don't say "y'all" which I never will, because it sounds stupid. Sorry Texans. :)

So I'm like this girl speaking with Cali slang like "tight" and "nice."

Otherwise, I guess it'd be a typically centralized American.

OH. I can switch in and out of American. I lived in the UAE for half my life so I can switch in and out of that to American. Though addmittedly, the one I picked up seven years ago is getting an American twist.

american+a georgian twist

*instead of you i say "ya'll"

*instead of whats up i say "wats up?"

I'd call mine.. Australian with a Russian twist. :)

I don't really know how to explain all the words I say, lol.

It's pretty understandable and yeah. It's cool. :D

I'm from the US, so I guess I have an American accent.

But I'm from Pittsburgh, so I have an accent from that. xD I say, "yinz," and "Pixburgh," and "Stillers," and "pop." Of course, I personally don't notice the accent, but when I travel outside of western PA, people point it out to me.

We have a lot of slang here in Pittsburgh. We even have a nice long Wikipedia article on it here B)

I guess I have a Canadian accent, although I don't really notice it...

I DON'T say things like "aboot"... In fact, I've never heard anyone say that in my life, not even in movies or anywhere... o_O

I say "meer" instead of "mirror", but it might be just me... Not sure. Most people I know say "mirror".

That's all I can think of...

I don't know what kind of accent I have.

I used to have an American one, but that wore off a while ago after I came to Australia.

I might upload myself talking sometime. xD

Canadian, but since my mom's Scottish, I can put on a good Scottish accent 8D

Can't say, really. Its neither American nor Canadian. I guess you could say that its just my own kind of accent. I mean to say, I speak fast enough to mispronounce more than half the words I am saying anyway and unless someone's accent happens to be very flamboyant, I rarely pay attention to those kinds of things so they go largely unnoticed by me. One of my friends had a much more complicated time forming words clearly (she was autistic up until the fourth grade and spoke her first word when she was five) so she pronounces words like "noodles" as "noodos." Another one of my friends has a terribly strong accent but much of her words are formed properly and her English has improved considerably since she first started learning the language. But if its my accent we're talking about, you can say that it has a sort of sharp edge to it...at least that's what I can tell with words alone. :wacko:

_Flame_ I say "Meer", too! Just cause Meer is better! xD

MORE EXAMPLES:

Okay, well I say "had" like "hed" (I'm the only one in my SCHOOL that can do that. Nobody else even can. They even pronounce "head" like "had" so I'm the only one who can say "hed" Even when they try, they cant pronounce "hed" xD)

I also say "cool" like "kewl" and don't like "dun"

Want to= wanna

Pizza= pizz-aw (Im like the only one who does thatreally fast naturally)

Stop= stup or sometimes "stawp" but NEVER "stahp"

Make= Maek or sometimes "Mick"

It= eet or "eht"

Teacher= tedj-ah

so as you can see, I have mixed accents xD

American, US accent.

I'm from Pennsylvania, so I don't have any "Southern" accent or anything.

My grandfather had a bit of an Italian accent, and I would go over his house a lot as a child to be babysat (So I heard a lot of Italian Speaking) If I try to speak Italian, my accent is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
American accent.

But sometimes when I'm talking to an adult I don't know, I sound like I'm British but I've learned an American accent. Like you can kinda hint that it was a British accent but not really. Now I'm confusing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back