American Anime?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tortilla~Tacos

Reaction score
Recently I've been thinking and pondering the question: Is there such a thing as ''American Anime'', or is anime purely Japanese. Some American shows like Avatar and Bondocks could be considered anime. However this couldn't be so if anime can only be Japanese. I think that these would be anime, because I believe that anime originated from Japan andCAN be American. What are you're views on anime, how would you define it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, although Anime is short for animation, Anime is officially defined in America as animation originating in Japan.

Kappa Mikey may be advertised as an American anime by most people, yes. But is it an anime or merely an American cartoon with references to Japanese culture and similar drawing styles?

Meanwhile Avatar: The Last Airbender is more set in an Aisan influenced world while drawing on elements from East Asian, South Asian, and Western culture.

Is there such thing as American Anime? According to the most common American definition; no. But according to our own personal definitions? Who knows. That's our own personal opinions.

Personally, for me, if it doesn't come from Japan, it's not anime. It's just regular animation.

anime means animation in japanese, so i think anything that is drawn and animated is considered anime.

there is such thing as an american manga.

totally spies is french?you know what anime looks like a cartoon? puffy ami yumi.
Well, that dosen't really count since Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi was completely produced in and meant for USA. No one is claiming it to be an anime.

I personally think that true Japanese anime is the best, as I think it's only the Japanese who really seem to be able to draw the most complex and detailled scenery, culture and characters which I think that American anime sometimes fails to capture. A lot of the methods used are also quite different to how the Japanese draw and animate their anime, which have stayed as traditional as modern animation allows.

The American voices also annoy me like hell, and I always watch anime in Japanese with subs, so I don't know how much of an all american anime I could listen to.

So, I think that Japan makes the best anime, that fits the genre the way it should, I feel. American anime, I think is not really to be considered anime.

I personally think that true Japanese anime is the best, as I think it's only the Japanese who really seem to be able to draw the most complex and detailled scenery, culture and characters which I think that American anime sometimes fails to capture. A lot of the methods used are also quite different to how the Japanese draw and animate their anime, which have stayed as traditional as modern animation allows.The American voices also annoy me like hell, and I always watch anime in Japanese with subs, so I don't know how much of an all american anime I could listen to.

So, I think that Japan makes the best anime, that fits the genre the way it should, I feel. American anime, I think is not really to be considered anime.
Most of these shows.. or so called "American anime" are made in Canada. I call them "Western Anime".

Not all anime is detailed, nor is all western animation either. Not all anime is that great either. Considering alot of the older ones are better than new aged stuff. The only redeeming animes that are good are the ones made by Studio Ghibli; which have been quailty for years.

Anime is okay in a sense; I just don't like people who think it's better than anything. Same with dubs vs subs. Alot of the "American" voice actors are from Canada as well.

There are quailty Western animations out there such as Watership Down, Plauge Dogs and even Felidae which all were made in Europe.

Shows like W.I.T.C.H hails form Italy if I stand correct.

Teen Titans and Transformers Animated uses "Anime style" in it's animation.

If it wasn't for Western animation, there wouldn't be any anime for people.

Consideirng the likes of

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png; whichw as animated in Japan. A very old Japanese cartoon which may have been inspired by Western animations such as Mickey Mouse and Looney Toons.

Anime means Animation is Japan.

No such thing as "America Anime" "Japanese Anime" it's all just animation. The Japanese have a different style then us, most of us consider that style "Anime" though it's really just the equivalent of the New York times comics in America.

I personally think that true Japanese anime is the best, as I think it's only the Japanese who really seem to be able to draw the most complex and detailled scenery, culture and characters which I think that American anime sometimes fails to capture. A lot of the methods used are also quite different to how the Japanese draw and animate their anime, which have stayed as traditional as modern animation allows.The American voices also annoy me like hell, and I always watch anime in Japanese with subs, so I don't know how much of an all american anime I could listen to.

Frickin' DITTO!

I can't STAND watching English dubbed Japanese anime! The American Voices are just atrocious to me, and they hardly ever match the original Japanese voices. I always go subbed.

I really wouldn't consider Avatar an anime. I mean, yeah they have 'anime eyes' and such...but I'd really just say that it's a cartoon. *shrug* Just my 'pinion. d:

And plus...American 'anime' just doesn't have that same essence as Japanese anime. It just seems kind of wannabe-ish to me, like they're trying too hard or something. It's not natural.

~CB

Last edited by a moderator:

Anime is animation from Japan

Just because Avatar is more asian based does not make it anime

It is a cartoon

If Avatar is anime then so is Spongebob

Frickin' DITTO!
I can't STAND watching English dubbed Japanese anime! The American Voices are just atrocious to me, and they hardly ever match the original Japanese voices. I always go subbed.

I really wouldn't consider Avatar an anime. I mean, yeah they have 'anime eyes' and such...but I'd really just say that it's a cartoon. *shrug* Just my 'pinion. d:

And plus...American 'anime' just doesn't have that same essence as Japanese anime. It just seems kind of wannabe-ish to me, like they're trying too hard or something. It's not natural.

~CB
I say "Western Voices", because not everyone is from "America" to do the voices.

I am not much of an anime fan, due to people harping on that watching the subs make them much better than anything. Considering people who are in the sub vs Dub wars are silly.

Not all "Amercian" Cartoons are slap stick comedy and silly plots.

Meowbark made a point in this thread.

I say "Western Voices", because not everyone is from "America" to do the voices.
I am not much of an anime fan, due to people harping on that watching the subs make them much better than anything. Considering people who are in the sub vs Dub wars are silly.

Not all "Amercian" Cartoons are slap stick comedy and silly plots.

Meowbark made a point in this thread.
:) I don't think I'm better than anybody because I watch subbed anime. (Does that even make sense? lol) But yeah, it's just my preference. I don't really care either way if anyone watches dubbed anime or what, but in my opinion that it's more satisfying to watch subbed anime, k? :)

Love,

CB

:) I don't think I'm better than anybody because I watch subbed anime. (Does that even make sense? lol) But yeah, it's just my preference. I don't really care either way if anyone watches dubbed anime or what, but in my opinion that it's more satisfying to watch subbed anime, k? :)
Love,

CB
Opinions are opinons and to each of their own.

It really don't matter what you watch. As long it isn't the whole... bashing of western voices or easten voices.

Latest posts

Back