Are eggs classed as meat or dairy?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think eggs are classed as meat or dairy?

• Meat!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Dairy!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Don't really care.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have no idea!

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other(please explain)

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAMAGIRL2008

Reaction score
Ok, I turned vegetarian around 7 months ago but I still eat eggs. I always have arguments with my family about whether eggs are meat or dairy.

So what do you think? Meat or Dairy?

I've been a vegetarian for about two years now, and eggs are NOT considered meat. When you eat eggs, they're unfertilized. It's healthy for chickens to lay eggs, and baby chicks only hatch from them when a rooster is around (now the treatment of the chickens who lay eggs for big companies is a whole other story).

Eggs aren't really considered dairy either though. Dairy classifies food made from animal milk, which eggs are not. This is why I voted under "other" in your poll.

Veganism is when you don't eat ANY animal products, including eggs and milk. Vegetarians eat eggs and milk though.

I hope that clears it up for you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a Protein... Otherwords... Fat. But don't quote me on that though. I haven't looked at a food pyrimid in a long time...

Eggs are in the same nutritional group as meat, but I'm pretty sure vegetarians can eat them.

Eggs used to be classified as dairy, but since they don't fit the description of dairy, which means made from milk of an animal, they have been moved. They re made the food pyramid a few years back, and the 'dairy' group has become the 'milk' group, which does not include eggs. Eggs are now in the 'meat and beans' group, which is basically anything that includes protein. I think tofu is in there as well.

It is perfectly fine for vegetarians to eat meat, and in fact it's good because without meat you'll need to get the protein somehow.

However, if you are a vegan, eating eggs would go against that.

I think its a Protein... Otherwords... Fat. But don't quote me on that though. I haven't looked at a food pyrimid in a long time...
It's a protein - There are all kinds of protein than just meat by itself. Tofu is also another kind of Protein. Same with Almonds.

Eggs are considered vegetarian to everyone I know (except my dad!)

Eggs are neither meat or dairy as already stated. They're eggs.

A class of their own. When reading packaging's they list things like 'Dairy products' 'Soy products' 'Egg products' etc, which makes me believe eggs are a group of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back