Are the Tamagotchi Meets/On glitches triggered by rechargeable batteries?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin-keeper

Reaction score
I started up my Tamagotchi Meets again recently, having felt burned by importing one so early back when I got it, and I decided to give it another chance. In so doing, I've found that I'm really enjoying it and would like to pick up an English-language On to go with it - but I needed to refresh my memory on whether the Meets and the On can connect to each other (they can).

Then I discovered something interesting relating to the Meets/On's glitches: https://www.reddit.com/r/tamagotchi/comments/ca0iob/the_tamagotchi_on_can_connect_to_the_meets_and/

A Reddit user called "wolfnanaki" wrote this comment;

From what I can gather from Bandai Japan's official statements about the Meets glitches and from people's general experiences with the On, the problem of these glitches comes from the Low Battery screen failing to properly appear when necessary.

Normally, when the battery reaches a critically low point, the unit halts the current Tamagotchi's current growth progress, saves it, and then displays the Low Battery warning. However, for the Meets, the Low Battery screen wasn't displaying, but its effects of halting growth and other progress did trigger. Because of this, the Tamagotchi would stop growing and then the device would suddenly become unresponsive.

From my own experience with my Meets, mine did get the low battery screen. And for reference, I was using regular AAA batteries, not rechargable batteries. I did notice that the fresh batteries didn't last as long as they did on my m!x; I got around three weeks from the m!x, and slightly over 2 weeks on the Meets.

If I were to guess why the glitches even happen in the first place, it'd be this: the Bluetooth chip in the Meets makes the Tamagotchi drain the batteries faster, and rechargable batteries - which are super common with color Tama owners - drain faster than normal ones. Because of this, they fail to trigger the Low Battery screen properly, leading to the glitches. The original Fairy and Magic Meets weren't designed with this in mind, but it was fixed for subsequent versions.

That's a haphazard guess anyway. I don't know the technicalities, just observations from experience.
This theory actually sounds pretty logical to me (and is a bit of a pain, since I had been considering picking up some rechargeables - I'll just have to make extra-sure to take my used batteries to those battery recycling bins that some places have, which hasn't come up in years since most devices are rechargeable these days), and I can't remember seeing it mentioned before.

Does anyone know if this was ever verified, by any chance?

I see no reason why the Bluetooth radio would be active at all when you're not trying to use the app. It's not like a phone or tablet which continuously scans for known devices in the background.

All I can say is that I use rechargeable batteries for my two on and no bug for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back