Chat speak on tamatalk forums + Random pms

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like/agree chat speak/random pms and random friend requests/over-use of smilies?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What?

• Yes, it's much easier.

• It annoys me.

• Yes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah, I wish everyone would type more that would make sense alot. Gothgirl, I know I never seen your post before but I think that's a terrible thing to say. God created beautiful creatures and none of them are idiots.

Yah, I wish everyone would type more that would make sense alot. Gothgirl, I know I never seen your post before but I think that's a terrible thing to say. God created beautiful creatures and none of them are idiots.
Yes yes yes! Like my teacher says (even though I don't follow it unless Im on the computer.) "Don't call anybody by any other name other than what their parents gave them!"

I also hate when people type in big fonts, or make an account on TT just to go to chat, and cuss all they can...

But what can we do about it??

I think people do it because they feel like it. You can't blame them, it is a lot easier to just use chatspeak. You can't really change some of the people who do it, either.

I'd just leave the people who do it alone, and try to ignore it. That's what I did, and chaspeak hardly bothers me. And since I can read 1337 just fine, it doesn't bother me either. Neither does putting "lolololololololololol". Maybe a person who puts "lolololololololololol" just thought something was really funny.

I don't really mind chat speak. I can read 1337. And I don't mind random friend requests, either.

But overuse of smileys is really annoying!

Last edited by a moderator:
well me personally i use chat talk but like only using like "u" instead of "you" or "ppl" instead of "people". but then again i am sort of a bum.......ok im a big bum! LOL :rolleyes: and using smilies a lot for me is kinda cute! and random PMs is a way of meeting people......who are mostly very nice. so i dont mind it all, but thats coming from a bum like me. but just for you.......right now.....i am not using chat talk.....which is a little hard for me. LOL :eek: but i see where your coming from i mean people have different opinions and some people get very annoyed with chat talk.......but if u get annoyed by them by using chat talk just kindly say in your post "could you please type your words???" and they should kindly do so.

*** remember these are my opinions.....also its coming from a bum ***

well me personally i use chat talk but like only using like "u" instead of "you" or "ppl" instead of "people". but then again i am sort of a bum.......ok im a big bum! LOL :rolleyes: and using smilies a lot for me is kinda cute! and random PMs is a way of meeting people......who are mostly very nice. so i dont mind it all, but thats coming from a bum like me. but just for you.......right now.....i am not using chat talk.....which is a little hard for me. LOL :eek: but i see where your coming from i mean people have different opinions and some people get very annoyed with chat talk.......but if u get annoyed by them by using chat talk just kindly say in your post "could you please type your words???" and they should kindly do so.

*** remember these are my opinions.....also its coming from a bum ***
You aren't a bum, because you are being honest. I respect that everyone has different opinions about this.

Good point! :) I was discussing some of this with you 2 days ago. :p I use chat speak sometimes in chatrooms rooms but when I post on tamatalk I use 'good english'. So that's what you were trying to tell me in the chatroom.

I have noticed

Example:

Plz may u hlp me and be my friend

:) :) :angry: :) B) :p :D :lol: :) :p

Sometimes I find it a bit annoy when I get random pm's being my friend. And also when they ask questions on the board and then make a copy of it on pm's.

Also I hate when they double post.

Example:

2:45 PM

my tam was in da bed wit lights off???????????????? :huh:

2:46 PM

plz!!!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!!!!!1111 me

I mean all the question mark's aren't needed.

also one time I posted something this person said

"nO u r rong loky my tam 2 evoled in day"

Chat Speak and 1337Ok, everyday when I come on here, I see loads of people use chat speak, it's okay for in chats, but on forums? When I say chat speak, I mean things like, "u kewl 1'm f1n3?" or "v4 is da bom yessss, i wana v4".

I also see "1337" (leet I beleive) every now and then. 1337 is always considered spamming, and is seriously annoying, try to restrain from using 1337 if you do use it in chats.

Overuse of Smilies

I also see loads of smilies in alot of people's posts, I mean 1-3 smilies is okay, but 5? It annoys me, especially when people decide to post all of the smilies in one column,in one post, or that's all they post. Some people also add 5 or 6, or even 7 after their text, before their text, and/or between their text.

My opinion, based on other opinions from other forums

Some of this I beleive is spamming, and I understand that most newbies use this, However it annoys alot of people on forums. If you are going to say something, type it carefully, and take time. It's okay for a few typos, but if you purposly make them, it causes problems. A lot of people that do this are sometimes called 'n00bs'. If you take the time to type something carefully, you'll be sure to get a few more replies. It's clearer for people to read.

*Note: Not only newbies do this, others as well. Please do not think I am blaming anything on the newbies.*

Random PMS and Random Friend Requests

Some people that are new want friends, however randomly PMing a random person is not a good way, neither is randomly picking out people and sending them friend requests. Maybe asking them things about their avatar, tamagotchis, their signiture, or something you already noy about them by prehaps looking at their profile, would be better, eh?

*Note: Not all people agree with this, some people don't mind/like Random Friend requests and Random PMs*

LOL (the famous phrase)

LOL is also ok, but when you put it like this, "lololololololololololol" it becomes annoying and can be considered SPAM

The Question

Why do you think people do this?

((Edited: I have had to many complaints about one of the examples, I have changed it, and have also seperated the columns.))
Chat Speak - I absolutely hate chat speak, it just looks like a bunch of random letters, like "Dewd, OMG 1m 0n fiar!". That is really annoying, so I prfere that people don't do it.

Overuse of Smilies - I don't really mind that but when they use more than 5 smilies per sentence, it looks retarded and dumb. They may say it's cool but it's looks childish.

Random PMS and Random Friend Requests - This is ok, I don't mind it, it's just a lonely member, he probably wants to be friends.

LOL (the famous phrase) - Also ok, but when they overuse it, it starts to look bad and immature.

Everything else is kinda ok, I dont mind it,

but another annoying thing is typos, I don't blame anyone for this but it gets annoying, especially if you know your doing it, because it looks confusing.

People these day's...

Some of them don't know how to use the BB CODE

MY tam died!!

Also this person uses the word 'wht' instead of saying 'what' so lazy.

Btw = by the way

lol = laugh out loud

r = are

u = you

wht = what

omg = oh my god

ttly = totally

ty = talk later

I can be lazy sometimes in chatrooms. but on the forums show some class and good manners that your English and computer teacher thought you :) .

At TamaPATCHI:

You can also use words like DELETE, RESET, and etc. The right way to use caps lock's when you say something very important in the phrase.

People don't really use shift.. :) I don't.

Also those big signature's are annoy

------------------------------

[SIZE=19pt]U ROX MY SOXS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11[/SIZE]

I WAS FEELING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B=DAY!!!!! HI!!

B)   :p   B)   :hitodetchi:   :D   B)   :hitodetchi:   B)   :hitodetchi:   Sheesh calm down its just the way people type its more faster and easyier  :p   and we have a rule on it you  *mean* sooooooooooooo *mean*

*binary: don't be rude*
^ This is something that gets me - trolling, or deliberately making a post with the soul purpose of irritating other posters. Perfect example is quoted here - this person clearly used all the things that irritate people outlined in the first post expressly to irritate and annoy.

Anyway, I dislike txt speak as well. I don't mind 1337, though. Not that I read it very quickly, but I think it's fun and interesting to look at - everyone has their own style of leet.

50|\/|3 p30p|3 d0 1337 |_1|<3 +|-|15 4|\||)

s0m3 p30pl3 jus7 d0 17 1yk3 7h15.

It's like handwriting - everyone does it a bit different. Also, it's the exact opposite of txt talk - txt talk is a lazy, quick way of typing where as 1337 takes a great deal of effort to type out for most.

Big signatures, as many have noted, also annoy me. Some of them take up the entire screen - quite a nuisance when you are trying to read a topic - especially when the huge signature person makes multiple posts.

PMs are not usually annoying to me. They are nice little treats, as they are never expected. I usually ignore forum joining requests, though.

I think "lololol" and :p B) :D :p :D and even "help me plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" all fall under the same category of superfluous ornaments. One explanation mark, 1 smile at a time, and 1 or two "lols" is sufficient. I really can't stand the overkill.

Oh.. 1337. I think 3 or 2 explanation marks are ok, but just doing it over reacting can be annoy sometimes..

Personally 1337 is ok with me and cool. When my friend did that It took me like 2 minutes to read their sentence xD but now it's easier to understand. On the other hand chat speak is annoy and 1337 is not.

Sometimes most of them type big sentences and it makes no sense at ALL.

Example:

yestday my tamagotchi was a young miiimiychi then maiklmen gave big message with exlcamition marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 ten egg cam and gav me a ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does egg like me??????????????? :) :unsure: :wacko: :wacko: :) :) :) :furawatchi: :angry: :angry: :rolleyes: :)

plz!!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!1

I think txt talk is annoying because you are always trying to figure out what that means. I mean it is kind of hard to read something like this: 1'm soooooooo k3wl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean that is sort of annoying.

I dont mind chatspeak if is like 'hi how r u? lol'

but i dont like it when people go 'heyyy!!! m3 iiZ da AWSUMLYN3SS!' :lol:

i also hate when people stretch the page B)

And sometimes i dont capitalise the first letter of my sentences, and i dont think that should annoy people too much because it doesnt affect how well you can read it :)

*Edits for the 100th time*

Chat Speak and 1337

I use neither; Chat Speak dosen't really bother me... '1337' does though. It just makes it more confusing to read, and it's pretty annoying.

Like TamaGiriely pointed out, people do it because they feel like it. You can't blame them, it is a lot easier to just use chatspeak.

Overuse of Emoticons

I rarely use emoticons i posts, and it dosen't bother me when people use them proportionally, but if they have 5 emoticons in a row in one post, it is quite annoying.

Random PMs and Random Friend Requests

I get these a lot. x.x

They are pretty annoying. I usually just delete them, but if they're asking me to join or visit their website, I reply, explaining that advertising is against the rules here.

LOL (the famous phrase)

This dosen't bother me, unless someone just replies to a topic with "lol". Then it's annoying.

It's also considered SPAM.

Another thing on friend requests... someone mentioned this in the chat that you can't pull friendship out of thin air. You have to talk and stuff. xP

Chat Speak and 1337Ok, everyday when I come on here, I see loads of people use chat speak, it's okay for in chats, but on forums? When I say chat speak, I mean things like, "u kewl 1'm f1n3?" or "v4 is da bom yessss, i wana v4".

I also see "1337" (leet I beleive) every now and then. 1337 is always considered spamming, and is seriously annoying, try to restrain from using 1337 if you do use it in chats.

Overuse of Smilies

I also see loads of smilies in alot of people's posts, I mean 1-3 smilies is okay, but 5? It annoys me, especially when people decide to post all of the smilies in one column,in one post, or that's all they post. Some people also add 5 or 6, or even 7 after their text, before their text, and/or between their text.

My opinion, based on other opinions from other forums

Some of this I beleive is spamming, and I understand that most newbies use this, However it annoys alot of people on forums. If you are going to say something, type it carefully, and take time. It's okay for a few typos, but if you purposly make them, it causes problems. A lot of people that do this are sometimes called 'n00bs'. If you take the time to type something carefully, you'll be sure to get a few more replies. It's clearer for people to read.

*Note: Not only newbies do this, others as well. Please do not think I am blaming anything on the newbies.*

Random PMS and Random Friend Requests

Some people that are new want friends, however randomly PMing a random person is not a good way, neither is randomly picking out people and sending them friend requests. Maybe asking them things about their avatar, tamagotchis, their signiture, or something you already noy about them by prehaps looking at their profile, would be better, eh?

*Note: Not all people agree with this, some people don't mind/like Random Friend requests and Random PMs*

LOL (the famous phrase)

LOL is also ok, but when you put it like this, "lololololololololololol" it becomes annoying and can be considered SPAM

The Question

Why do you think people do this?

((Edited: I have had to many complaints about one of the examples, I have changed it, and have also seperated the columns.))
[SIZE=14pt]Here are my opions on them:[/SIZE]

Chatspeek and Leet.

I find chatspeak a bit annoying now, if there a lot or chatspeak, it gets illegible to me. I don't know Leet, so leet is illegible to me.

Overuse of smilies

I don't have a problem with this, however, an all smilies post is considered SPAM.

Random PMs and Random friend requsts.

I don't have a problem with this, but if the random PMs are SPAM, then it's annoying.

LOL

To me, one Lol is fine, but 8 ? Thats annoying.

~Camelle

PS. This wasn't bumped by me, this was bumped by a vote to the first page.

I hate it to. We are here to talk not to be lazy. It's like saying you don't have enough time for Tama Talk to type out your words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back