Cursing

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By cursing, you mean the language kind, right?

I find such curse words to be delightfully useful. Admittedly, I use various colorful expressions all the time, whether I'm joyful or angry, or when I spill boiling water on my leg. When I say such things in front of my mom, she always says, "oh, you're just praying."

That said, there are times and places where cursing is certainly not appropriate, and I can understand why people find cursing to be offensive. It really bothers me when people curse constantly for no particular reason around their two-year-old children, for example.

I think that in most social contexts swearing isn't necessary, but often can be over used. When over used, it loses any impact it may have had otherwise. As far as the media goes, I do not think swearing is needed in movies or other entertainment. Just as with other questionable content, most movies would be just as enjoyable without it. I think our culture has become lax with swearing, among other things.

I've been known to curse constantly but these days I try to keep it down. Cursing doesn't necessarily make you a bad person. But it doesn't make you good, either. There are certain places you can curse, and maybe stubbing your toe sometimes make you yelp out profanities and there's no helping that. Cursing is somehow a way of expression at times.

There is, however, the matter of cursing in front of the curse-sensitive eg. religious people, children, old people, etc. People who curse should still keep in mind those in their surroundings. I think that although people are free to express themselves, it is still important to express it in such a way that it does not offend or hurt the feelings of those around them.

Bottomline is, I'm pretty cool with cursing, as long as there are set boundaries in using such.

I'm a teenager and I've always disliked swearing, even when I wasn't religious. I never ever curse in real life, but sometimes I type the C word that can mean poop when I'm really mad, and the H word that's the bad version of heck :( However, I am rarely very madand I will try to stop :p

I am quite sensitive to cursing and other vulgar language for reasons better left unsaid, but anyway, I personally think swear words should only be used for intense pain/anger, if at all. I never feel the urge to use extreme swear words, nor do I ever feel the urge to swear in real life. It never crosses my mind.

I don't call people out when people swear; I mean, they can do what they want I guess :p The only thing I'm really against is when people use the F word 10 times in one sentence for no reason. I think being obsessed with swearing like that is unhealthy as it can be very offensive and you're wasting time/breath by saying/typing the word so much.

Swear words seem to be useless to me in some cases, especially if they're used in a positive sentence

Example:

I ((insert swear)) love Tamagotchi!

Simply saying "I love Tamagotchi!" or "I love Tamagotchi so much!" would work fine.

There are plenty of ways to avoid swear words. Plus I don't take people seriously in a debate when they use swear words. I think people should make an effort to use swears as little as possible; I mean, if racial and homosexual slurs are considered extremely offensive, why not swear words?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly dislike it. Of course there can be certain times where it may be acceptable if not overused. When used too frequently, it starts to lose its meaning and ends up becoming a mere annoyance (that is true for other words too though, not just "bad words"). Even a word like "cute" for example would become kind of meaningless if it were to be used to describe everything.

I can understand if swearing is used to show hostility and extreme annoyance, but I don't understand why those words should be used "nicely" to express stuff such as happiness, unless it is for humorous effect. It is also weird when people, particularly 10-12 year olds, swear as much as possible to seem "cool" and "grown-up". That includes the little kids who play CoD and scream profanities and pejoratives every second to show the world how mature they are.

When I was younger, I always hated swearing, and I was known for not swearing. Most of the time, I still don't swear irl, but I do quite a bit online - also, I have done occasionally irl, but that's mainly when playing a video game where something hasn't gone right.

Mostly, I think cursing is rude, but at the same time, it's mostly a common thing that humans have. After all, who hasn't siad 1 cuss word? I have, but I have never said the F word or B word, but I have said the SH word once when I was pronouncing Sunset Shimmer's name..And I also think it's stupid for 12 year olds to think it's cool to cuss...No, it's not cool, it's immature. < One of the reasons why I dislike our society today.. And I do say words that are close to the F word, like fudge, frick, and freaking, but I never said the actual word..I do say crap alot though, but I rarely say the SH word, and I have used Hell as a cuss word, to *Who hasn't?*. Overall, we're not perfect, but we should at least try to not cuss. And I do not have anything againts people who like cussing, either, but I still think it's a bad thing to do. *And mostly everyone in my family cusses, so I'm used to cussing IRL...*

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly, I think cursing is rude, but at the same time, it's mostly a common thing that humans have. After all, who hasn't said 1 cuss word? I have, but I have never said the F word or B word, but I have said the SH word once when I was pronouncing Sunset Shimmer's name..And I also think it's stupid for 12 year olds to think it's cool to cuss...No, it's not cool, it's immature. < One of the reasons why I dislike our society today.. And I do say words that are close to the F word, like fudge, frick, and freaking, but I never said the actual word..I do say crap alot though, but I rarely say the SH word, and I have used Hell as a cuss word, to *Who hasn't?*. Overall, we're not perfect, but we should at least try to not cuss. And I do not have anything againts people who like cussing, either, but I still think it's a bad thing to do. *And mostly everyone in my family cusses, so I'm used to cussing IRL...*

I generally don't feel comfortable swearing but have done on a few occasions when I'm really angry at someone (and I don't get angry easily). I don't use swear words to express happiness or surprise or anything else, just anger.

I hate it when any form of media (books, movies etc.) have swearing because it often results in me not being allowed to read/watch/play it, just because of a completely unnecessary swear word. If something was going to be rated 18+ anyway then I don't care if they put swear words in it, but I hate when something that would otherwise be 12+ ends up as 15+ because of swearing.

I also dislike overuse of swear words, 2 of my best friends use them ALL THE TIME and it really annoys me as it's unnecessary and wastes time. They'll come on Skype and spam the group chat with swear words until someone asks them what happened. I wish they'd just say what happened and spam us with actual information rather than meaningless repetitive words..

I only swear when I'm really shocked, get hurt badly or if I'm rlly rlly rlly annoyed at someone...

It's very rude. I mean, who wants to be turned into a frog, or have a hex put on their house so the door always gets stuck shut, or wander out into the day only to be rained upon by locusts?

...anyway, I don't see it as a big deal so long as you're old enough to understand what you're saying and how to effectively use your words. If you're an adult, curse all you want so long as you aren't hurting anyone with it. However, I don't like cursing in front of kids or older people. I watch what I say around anyone too young or too much older. Still, I understand that younger people will hear it one way or another, from schoolmates or other less scrupulous adults. If I ever have kids, I'll be sure to express to them why it's not okay for them to curse at their age. But when they grow older, I won't really mind. My mom doesn't watch her mouth around me anymore and it's kind of a relief being able to talk to her as an adult now, but when I was younger (before 18) she wouldn't let anyone curse around us and wouldn't want us cursing. I guess those values are still a part of me.

BTW: In this post, "kids" means anyone under 18. Because that's what a kid is to me, tbh.

I thought I didn't curse much, but looking back I do remember usually saying a few words. Now I use them very rarely. I think people need to understand that swearing isn't going to make you look better. Infact, saying 2-3 swear words in a sentence is just pointless and annoying. I often look at swearing as something you do only when you're angry.

I think some people over do it on swearing, but sometimes it's cathartic to let out a curse word.

I never swore until summer before last (I'm 25, so everyone thought it was odd that I never swore when I was younger).

My favorite swear word is the opposite of "God bless it." ^.~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back