Do you agree with Capital Punishment?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy_want_cookie

Reaction score
You know That place, with the stuff, and the vowel
This is a remake of a topic that I found interesting, but it was closed.

Do you agree with Capital punishment, If you dont know what that is, heres the paragraph from the previous topic

Capital Punishment

Capital punishment, or the death penalty, is the execution of a convicted criminal by the state as punishment for crimes known as capital crimes or capital offences. Historically, the execution of criminals and political opponents was used by nearly all societies - both to punish crime and to suppress political dissent. Among democratic countries around the world, most European (all of the European Union), Latin American, many Pacific Area states (including Australia, New Zealand and Timor Leste) and Canada have abolished capital punishment, while the United States, Guatemala, and most of the Caribbean as well as some democracies in Asia and Africa retain it. Among nondemocratic countries, the use of the death penalty is common but not universal.

Capital punishment is a contentious issue. Supporters of capital punishment argue that it deters crime, prevents recidivism, and is an appropriate punishment for the crime of murder. Opponents of capital punishment argue that it does not deter criminals more than life imprisonment, violates human rights, leads to executions of some who are wrongfully convicted, and discriminates against minorities and the poor.

An example of Capital Punishment would be the Execution (hanging) of Saddam Hussein

As for myself. Yes, I do believe in it. People should pay the proper consequence for their actions, they shouldnt have done that in the first place.

I agree with it so long as there were at least two witnesses who saw you do what you did, or if evidence proves 100% that it was you.

An eye for an eye.

I'm not sure. It is better than giving serial killers free food and health insurance for the rest of their lives, but if it becomes common practice, people might abuse it.

I'm all for it as long as it's 100% they did the crime.

Why should tax payers pay for these horrible people to be sheltered and fed for the rest of their lives?

I'm all for it. They took the life of someone else [or several people] so why do they deserve theirs?

Well, yes and no.

No:

While google searching some things about countries in the mid-east for a school project, I read a story about a sixteen year old girl who was hanged for throwing off her head-scarf in public. I think the legal age there for death penalty is eighteen, but the judge said she was twenty-two, therefore she was hanged. At sixteen years old... WTF!?

Also in the same country, a seventeen year old girl and her niece were in the park when two rapists came and attempted to rape them. The older girl defended herself, then the judge gave her death via hanging. Later I read two things about that incident. 1) If you resist rape, you are hanged and if you don't resist it, you are stoned as an adulterer. 2) She was freed due to petitions across the world.

So I don't think that hanging should be used if it's overrated stupid laws most other countries don't have.

Yes:

If there's a serial killer with 100% proof that it was him/her, then they deserve capital punishment. I mean, criminals are in fact sometimes known to escape, and people just want to prevent that from happening Besides without death penalty, there is parole, and sometimes you can even get out early. People are just trying to make the world a safer place.

And by the way, although Canada doesn't have the death penalty, it doesn't mean Canadians can't get it. I hear on the news all the time where convicted murderers are sent to the states to get their death sentence.

Yes, I agree with capital punishment. I agree with what SK said.

Shouldn't be this in SNTT? I will PM a guide.

I got in trouble at school for saying I believe in Capital Punishment.

My teacher in front of the class said: "No Catholic believes in Capital Punishment".

I do, and what he says will not change my mind. My Dad believes in it too, and he is catholic. D;

Last edited by a moderator:
*Topic moved to '(Non)TamaTalk: Seriously (Non)TamaTalk'*

I agree it's an interesting topic - but I've moved it to Seriously (Non) TamaTalk so that everyone keeps the discussion mature and sensible (as per site rules).

Looking at the old topic by Acid~Rain I found this post by a member called RainShomet both intelligent and interesting:

https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/index.php?showt...dpost&p=1118159 and I have to say, I pretty much agree with their opinion - that is, I do not support Capital Punishment.

Well, yes and no. For Sadam Hussein, it was fair. He killed many innocent people. But for other crimes, it should just be a life sentence.

I am a huge supporter of capital punishment.

If you take an innocent person's life, why should your life be worth more than theirs?

They died because of you. You should die because you mean nothing anymore.

Why should anyone care about you if you're a cold blooded murderer? Why should our tax dollars go to feeding you? Someone who will never be a productive member of society. It's ridiculous. :|

If it's like 100% sure that the criminal was guilty. Lol, there's no capital punishment in Canada...

I do not believe in capital punishment.

You are no better than the convicted, you do not get to decide who lives and dies. It's not our place to play God. Sentencing a murderer to death is equivalent to being a murderer yourself.

And besides, I'd rather die than rot in jail for the rest of my life. Dying is the easy way out.

I am completely against capital punishment.

No. I am 100% against it.

What kind of message are you sending if you say murder is bad, then go kill the murderer yourself?

An eye for an eye.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

I believe that only God can choose who lives or dies. Humans have no right to take lives from each other - that's the whole reason we're punishing the murderer in the first place, right?

And, as Katie already said, death is quick. One punishment and it's all over. The murderer's going to die one day anyway, so you might as well keep him locked up for life until that day comes. That is so much worse than just an instant death, which is just freeing them from a lifetime of regret, which they very well deserve to have.

I'm against capital punishment.

I personally don't agree. The criminal needs to suffer for what they've done, not just get their troubles quickly electricuted away from them. Also, murdering some one for commiting murder? Talk about hypocrisy (sp).

I believe that only God can choose who lives or dies. Humans have no right to take lives from each other - that's the whole reason we're punishing the murderer in the first place, right?

And, as Katie already said, death is quick. One punishment and it's all over. The murderer's going to die one day anyway, so you might as well keep him locked up for life until that day comes. That is so much worse than just an instant death, which is just freeing them from a lifetime of regret, which they very well deserve to have.

100% agreed with absolutely everything you said.

You took the words straight out of my mouth.

Out of my fingers, I should say..

Lol, there's no capital punishment in Canada...
That doesn't mean the convicted criminal can't receive it.

I hear on the News all the time that Canadian men are sent to the states to await their death... seriously.

Why would you, though? This sounds selfish, but instead of life imprisonment why not just use Capital Punishment? New prisons will have to be built to keep the criminals. Annual costs to house inmates grew from $6.5 billion in 1982 to $39.7 billion in 2001. During the 1970’s prison costs accounted for 1% to 2% of state budgets, but by the 1990’s represented 8% to 10%, which forced cuts in other state services.

As for the second point, I believe that everyone should go by the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If everyone followed this, there would be no need for Capital punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back