Do you consider dance a sport?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RawryCakes.x

Reaction score
Well, the reason I am asking this is because this issue came up in my class yesterday. I think dance is a sport because, dance is no different from rythmic gymnastics, and that is in the olympics, which probably makes it a sport. Some people think dance is not a sport, they say dance is just an 'art', and that dancers are not considered athletes.

So, do you consider dance a sport?

I think dance is a sport. Just because like 90% of the people that do it are girls, so people might not think of it as a 'sport' like football or whatever. But lots of people that dance get way more fit, and they still feel tired and sweat and work hard.. just like any other sport. To me it's not that different from figure skating, and that's in the olympics, too.

Dictionary.com's definition of a sport is: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

So I think dance is a sport.

I hope so. Because I do it. And it would be a comfort to know that I am not the most unathletic girl on this planet, which I'm starting to believe is the case.

Good god---hell yes.

I'm not like a major dancer--but I'll dance. And it is tiring.

Our school's drill team (dance) puts on a Spring Show every year. Since this is my first year in high school, I decided to see it.

I was impressed. Those routines looked exceptionally tiring. All the kicks, splits, twirls, lifts---everything. And they went on for two hours.

I hope so. Because I do it. And it would be a comfort to know that I am not the most unathletic girl on this planet, which I'm starting to believe is the case.
^^aha, Esther darling.. do not be worried, for I am the most un-athletic girl on this planet. =]

And yes. Dance is a sport !

I think in a way yes, and in another way no.

No if we're talking the kind of dancing that happens casually at school dances(I prefer to call it slut-dancing).

Yes if we're talking about dancing like ballet, square and line dancing.

Dancing like a ho isn't something you need to work at. However, ballet and dancing similar to it is.

I reckon yes.

And if it is, than I officially fail at all sports.

Or, atleast all the sports that I have tried.

I wouldn't be able to dance... even if my life depended on it.

Yes. I'm a dancer, and it would be mean not to say so. I mean, it's physical excercise, right?

Depends on the style of dance.

Some styles are very physically demanding and are certainly a sport.

It's a very popular sport at my school. Infact they had try outs for hip-hop because they had so many people apply.

Certainly a sport.

Well, it's exercising. But it's not exactly sport.

Yes, dancing is a sport lol. It's energetic and stuff. My auntie still dances o_o I mean, like the real fast ones that you jump around and the cha-cha. She's really good xD

Yes. I danced from the time I was two until I was fourteen and a half. I quit just a few months ago.

And it is extremely hard work, especially if you're competitive and in advanced classes.

Though I don't take dance classes anymore, I still enjoy to dance in my free time.

I take dance. It is very hard. It is not easier than any other sport. I think it should be classified as a fine art though.

It can matter. Lindy hop is a lot different from ballet.

In most sports you have a goal to win something. Aside from gymnastics and swimming.

Dancers should not be considered athletes but 'artists'.

Rhythmic gymnastics is a mix of ballet and Gymnastics. Though I think they are very different. In ballet you can do a pax de duex with a male. And most female dancers from around age 9+ (depending on your skill) get pointe shoes. In rhythmic gymnastics you learn to balance and hold 'props' properly, balance your body, and you have to be flexible.

But, that is just my opinion.

:D

I don't consider it a sport.

I consider it art. Which is the category it's under in the first place.

You watch dancing because it's something beautiful and entertaining.

You only have to watch one person to be entertained.

While sports are something you watch solely on the purpose to see who's going to win or lose.

It's not very fun to watch one person play baseball now is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back