Do you play with your tamas in public?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pull them out to check on them occasionally! But, if it's a situation where I'm eating dinner with family etc., I try to keep it quick-- just feed them/clean up and put it away.

I remember being in middle school and sneaking them into class, but usually I was too chicken to actually pull them out during a lecture. :p

It's funny, as much as I'm happy to be back into tamagotchi I'm horrified to let it slip to someone I know that I'm using them again. One of my friends did see me checking on my 4U at one point and was amazing about it, she was like "Well I bought the $35 add-on for Pokemon Go so I'm not judging," and she thought it was really cool that it was in Japanese. I had my phone in rice at one point for fear of water damage and carried my V4 around as a clock, which everyone thought was great and laughed about with me. I'm sure people would have similar warm reactions if they knew I was actually actively playing again, but the closest I've been to playing in public otherwise is a frantic check in my bag to make sure they're not on their deathbed.

I play with mine in public! :) I always have, even when they started to fall out of the 'being cool' phase, all those years ago back in school. I'm not very self-concious, mind you, as I've always had people comment on certain things (being 27 years old, wearing overly-flamboyant makeup, whilst donning a Porg rucksack with StarWars/Pokemon/Other 'geeky' clothing and jewellery, alongside bright red/orange hair does me no favours in being discreet :lol: ). I've been brought up to do whatever makes you happy (as long as you are not hurting anyone), no matter what other people think (after all, if people are going to be cruel/nasty to you, I don't think they are the sort of people you want or need in your life).

My friends are also all very lovely in the fact that they don't judge and never have (most of them have their own childhood obsessions still going as well :lol: ). :wub: My Fiancé has also got back into them because of me and now has his own little terror to take care of. :lol:

My family do not mind me playing with them either- my Mother even asks about the little critters and likes to help me name them. Lol! She has always played with them with me as a kid and even had her own. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Case in point for this thread:

I've been wearing my Dragon Quest Slime v-pet on my belt since it's got a pedometer and taking a couple tamas to meetings. Now, granted, I do not pull them out in meetings because I'm a PROFESSIONAL ADULT PERSON, but one of my coworkers saw my slime and went "Wait... do you have a tamagotchi?"
Me: "Oh, that's not a tamagotchi. These are" *pulled out tamas* "But yeah"
Them: "Aren't those for kids?" (I thought this was funny since they were already well acquainted with my Transformer-covered desk)
Me: "Nah. Raising stuff makes me happy. They're actually pretty cool. Look, this one's a ninja right now..."

I proceeded to show my coworker the tama, and while they weren't awestruck and probably won't run out and pick one up, they thought it was at least interesting. That's always the thing; half the time people make comments, its because they actually want to know MORE and don't know how to ask without feeling self-conscious themselves! :D

I very much struggle with the idea of what people think of me and so playing with my Tamagotchis around other people terrifies me. I think it's totally ridiculous as it is something I enjoy, and I will happily play Animal Crossing in front of anyone. But for some reason, I hide my tamagotchi passion, especially away from my parents and family - but luckily my boyfriend thinks I'm nuts anyway and doesn't care what childhood toys I play with, as long as I don't touch his Lego! :p

Occasionally. I'm in university right now, so most of the people my age had Tamagotchis growing up. As of yet, I've only received positive (often nostalgic) or neutral reactions when anyone has seen my Tamagotchis. That being said, I'm usually discrete with them, anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back