Do Your Friends/Family Know You Collect Tamagotchi's?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't actually have my first tamagotchi yet (It's coming in the mail), but I do collect Alpacasso or alpaca plushes and since I'm 21, my parents think it's really childish that I collect them so they'll probably say the same thing once they get wind of my newest obsession. Looking back at my childhood, I never had any plushes or game things so it might just be me trying to make up for it now haha.

My friends will probably find it funny and strange but they'll probably accept it because I don't judge them for the things they collect.

My family knows I collect Tamagotchis. As for my friends, I don't have a ton IRL, so I'd have to say no.

In about 2004 when I had my first Tamagotchi it was cool and popular and everyone had one so I had no problem whipping it out to check it wherever and whenever. I had every tama from v1 to v4 bought for me and given as a gift from family members. As the years went on some people and my father would question me and ask me if I really should be playing with them at that age. The last Tama I got given was from my Aunt (v4) in about 2008. After that the hobby died for a bit.

Now as I slowly get back into the hobby I feel nervous and keep my Tama at home while I'm out (For their safety and because I'd feel slightly ashamed, I don't think I would bring them anywhere.). My boyfriend and my best friend know I'm collecting again. Other than that I would never let anyone else see/know the extent of how much I'm enjoying Tamagotchi again. I think as long as I keep it to myself and am quiet and not spending all on money on it, no one should have an issue. TamaTalk is a great place for me to actually discuss and talk about it though :wub:

I'm 27 and just getting back into tamagotchi! I found a v4 Connection u bought when I was around 20, and noticed I wasn't the only one with an interest! My other half knows I'm obsessed but he finds it cute - it wouldn't put me off though if he thought it was silly, it's no one's place to judge you.

The best part about getting back into Tamas at my age is I have money to spend on them, hahaa! In the mid '90s when they first became popular,my parents wouldn't let me get one because they were too expensive, so I ended up with a cheaper version. So I guess this is my way of living my childhood dream :p

Anyway, I've just ordered the 4u. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently! I also couldn't help myself and bought the 1996 faceplate set...sad I know but I'm all for a bit of nostalgia!

The best thing about getting back into Tamas is I am finally pushing myself to learn Japanese. It's motivating because I'm into a lot of Japanese things anyway and I thought now is good a time as any :)

I don't have a collection yet, but I'm sure I will. Right now my mother says:" Stop playing with your Tamagotchi and help me out." My father says:" I want you to stop fidgeting with your Tamagotchi otherwise you will get myopia."

So as you see, I'm not sure about what they would say if they know I want to get a Tamagotchi collection. :p (My sister knows I'm obsessed so she won't care. She herself is obsessed.)

I was in Grade 5 when the Version 1 was released in North America and it became a fast fad in my school; I had to have one.

I got a V1 almost immediately after it came out, and over the years acquired a V3, three V5s and, two V6s and three Tama-Gos.

The V1 and V3 are lost, and one of the three Tama-Gos have been destroyed by unforeseen temper tantrums (not my own).

My dad knows I love this sort of thing and got me my first Tama-Go for Xmas one year as they were at an overstock store for ~$5 each at the time (I want to say this was in 2010 or 2011, a sure sign of the failing market).

My husband knows I love them and my recent resurgence in being interested in them has caused him to become interested as well. We are running both of the V6s right now together and I'm trying to teach him the ropes but I'm not convinced he's as into them as I am.

As for friends, no one cares at this age. What a 21-year-old does with his time is irrelevant, but it does usually start up a nostalgic conversation among visitors when someone sees one of my active ones sitting around the house.

Yes! My husband knows and supports my hobby. I wouldn't have half of the tamagotchis I have now if it weren't for him

Yeah, my family and friends know that I collect Tamagotchis. They don't seem to mind though. They actually don't care altogether. Most of them, when they first find out that I collect Tamagotchis, will just be in shock since they probably haven't seen one since childhood. I tend to explain what happened, they never died but sales grew weaker, then proceed to whatever we're doing.

When tamagotchis became popular again in 2004 (i was 18, and this is when i started collecting) i used to walk around with them everywhere and wasn't bothered who saw.

Now I'm 29 i tend not to take them places with me (also partly because i don't want them to get broken/scratched/ruined) my parents and brother know i collect them and they don't care (we don't talk about how much i spend on them though!) I've shown my boyfriend my whole collection and he thinks its pretty cool, i have walked in on him playing with my tamagotchis and grinning like an idiot and he just calls me his tamagotchi queen, and has on occasion refered to them as our children lol. A few of my friends who like geeky stuff, collect they're own things or like nostalgic stuff know and they're fascinated.

The rest of my friends/people at work don't know i collect cause i just don't mention them or have them with me, none of them would ever say anything bad but at the same time i don't think they'd get it, and i quite like having a hobby i can enjoy in my own time by myself :D

Yes! Everyone knows! I'm 27 and married now. When I am running a version, I actually take it to work and it sits on top of my PC as I work in an office. I have been a fan since the 90's release so it's just habit now to have one on me or in my purse. I have a huge collection of well over 40 units, plus some still in original packaging as ever since V2 was released I started a collection. I had stopped playing with them for a few years while I was in Middle school and what not, but sometime when I was like 16 or so I remember going into Target and seeing them in there. I bought two right away, and another to gift to a close little neighbor friend I had at the time. After that I remember taking them in to school. I kept them on my keychain in the outer pocket on my backpack, and in class once I had finished my work I'd pull up my backpack and sneak them out just enough to care of them. Never got caught!!! I was also an A+ student, so the teachers never picked on me LOL. Ten years fast forward, and I still carry them around with me. It's just hard to stay focused on them 100% of the time as I am busy adulting. I don't care what others thought of me, and I never really did. I have always been like that. People would say stuff to me or make comments and such but I literally didn't care.

My family doesn't mind me being into them at all. In fact, my aunt was the one who got me into tamas. :D And over the years my parents and other family members have all gotten me tama related stuff for Christmas and my birthday. As for my friends, they know I'm into Tamagotchis and they don't care. Most the time they seem very interested in them. (I used to bring my Music Star to my old Girl Scout troop and when it started practicing it's instrument my friend and I would exchange panicked looks. My leader either didn't care or didn't noticed but it always seemed to happen during quiet/important moments. :p ) I personally love to show off my tamas to other people. :lol:

My family knows, my parents don't really support it and telling my friends I have them would ruin my social life.

I'm an adult, and no one really cares about the "unusual" things I do. I'm not really a collector of Tamagotchi at this point, but I've collected My Little Pony toys for over 10 years. I also have a fashion-related hobby. I don't even think anyone will notice that I've added "another toy" to my interests. I'm hoping to convince at least a few friends or coworkers to join me, so I'll have someone to interact with for some of the bump features, etc. ♥

My parents don't know but they probably won't care past the whole "you should be saving money instead of spending money" talk i get from time to time when I visit. But I'm sure they'd be hella happy about me spending less then a 100 bucks on a Tama then some of my other hobbies (photography, bjd's) all which are very expensive.

My husband always supports my hobbies even if he doesn't get it. If I want to buy some crystals and carry them around for some "healing" he's ok with it. If I want a new bjd hell encourage me to buy it and I'll argue with him about enabling me. So I'm sure if I say "I'm gonna get another Tama" he'd be like ok. He didn't blink an eye when I said I ordered a japanese one. Nor when I said I wanted to go to toys r us to see if they had any TF's lol.

Do what you love. Bottom line!

My parents don't care (they're deceased), my husband sorta likes them, and my mom-in-law thinks they're cute but complicated. Most of our friends don't know that I have them, and that's fine with me. I only play them at home, since they are no longer popular where I live (northern AZ). I do not spend big money on any version; I look for the best deal I can find, as long as it is the color I want (usually blue). I stick to buying the tamas themselves, I don't buy all the accessories or additional devices (such as the Tama Profy). I do however own all three Home Dekas. The only version I'm not interested in at all is the Friends or the Friends Dream Town.

Parents know I have a box of virtual pets I keep under the bed, but we don't discuss the individual models or anything. The most my mom would probably say is "oh yeah I remember that one" which is good enough for me. If they see anything, they mostly want to know what the value is, since they assume I'm going to sell it. (A fair assumption, as I do turn over a lot of things I buy.) I enjoy watching them balk at the final sale of some of the collector things I've sold :D

Sister humors me when I talk about how cute something is, bless her.

Friends absolutely know, since I tell them everything and we're all nerds that collect stuff. They.. probably don't know how MANY I have, but they know that I collect and harbor an obscene amount of information about them. My one friend is the one who got me back into Tamas, as we found v4.5s at Five Below one day and each bought one. That Tama blew my mind, since I hadn't even heard of them since the 90s craze died. I've given her some of my spares since then but I just don't think she's too interested, but that's okay.

I don't actually have my first tamagotchi yet (It's coming in the mail), but I do collect Alpacasso or alpaca plushes and since I'm 21, my parents think it's really childish that I collect them so they'll probably say the same thing once they get wind of my newest obsession. Looking back at my childhood, I never had any plushes or game things so it might just be me trying to make up for it now haha.

My friends will probably find it funny and strange but they'll probably accept it because I don't judge them for the things they collect.
Alpacasso are definitely a fun thing to collect. I'm thinking of getting some more but I'm not sure.

My family knows, my parents don't really support it and telling my friends I have them would ruin my social life.
Being a dude with a "girly" hobby must bite, huh? Gender roles should've burned in hell a long time ago . . .

My family knows I collect electronic pets in general. My mom even let me use her platinum credit card to buy aibos and pay her back a little each month. My uncle's girlfriend gave me a talking Nano Puppy.

I don't really use them that much, but my parents thought I was over them. My friends don't know at all. (do some of them even know what they are?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back