Euthanasia

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.:Black~Sheep:.

Reaction score
These words are taken directly from the Oxford English Dictionary and gives out the definition of the term euthanasia:

Euthanasia /yoo-thuh-nay-zi-uh/

.n the painless killing of a person who has an incurable disease or who is in an irreversible coma.

Taken from the same dictionary, this is the definition of the word murder:

Murder .n 1 the deliberate killing of one person by another. 2 informal a very difficult or unpleasant situation. 1 to kill someone deliberately. 2 informal spoil something by poor performance.

This is a Wikipedia article covering the reasons for and against the practice of euthanasia. According to this certain article, euthanasia can be practiced on a person wishing either voluntarily or involuntarily to end his or her life by consuming lethal drugs or specific muscle relaxants to stop the heart from beating ever again. Voluntary euthanasia or euthanasia requested by a person can be viewed as an equivalent to committing suicide whereas involuntary euthanasia which is accomplished prior to a person's consent can be viewed as the equivalent of murder by some.

Religion also plays an important role in determining whether euthanasia can be seen as moral or immoral. Many religions strongly abide by their opinion that life is a gift from God and that it is his and his decision alone as to whether or not a person should continue living or not. Those in favor of euthanasia usually argue that all life is on equal terms regardless or age, gender, religion, race and because all life is equal, all life deserve a chance and can be given a choice in ending life without suffering.

Although the subject on euthanasia is very complicated, many argue whether or not it should be legal and allowed to be practiced among people. Euthanasia and abortion are two very similar issues that are being debated. During both an abortion and euthanasia you take away life except that in the case of abortion, life has not been formed yet. But deciding on whether euthanasia can be called a murder can depend solely on whether it is voluntary or involuntary.

If a person is mentally aware and is capable of making their own decisions and request euthanasia, then I don't believe it should be called a murder. Can it be called suicide? Maybe. On the other hand, what about involuntary euthanasia? Can that be called murder as well? How about thinking it this way-if a person is suffering from a fatal disease (let's say tuberculosis) and it has been decided without the person's prior consent that they will die by euthanasia wouldn't it be classified as neither? After all, you're saving a person from a lot of suffering and despair and let's face it-they could die eventually from the disease and in a much painful manner. Euthanasia can be convenient and can free people from suffering that is often not wished by people. Administering morphine to a cancer patient is also a form of euthanasia and quite a similar case to the one I have mentioned above. Although practicing euthanasia can lead to several problems, there are advantages to it and disadvantages. This subject interested me a lot and I wanted to know how people think about this subject too.

So think about it-should euthanasia be practiced? How do you think it will affect the world around you?

*Please try to keep your posts civil and polite-since this topic is very similar to that of the abortion topics there may be disputes where members don't agree.

People? No.Animals who are in great pain and suffering? Yes.
I agree.

People: That's downright wrong and in-humaine. Like if they have some sort of desease, then still don't kill them! They could recover from it, and it might not be as bad as they think! It's so in-humaine.

Animals: If they are suffering majorly, then yes. But otherwise, no!

I agree.
People: That's downright wrong and in-humaine. Like if they have some sort of desease, then still don't kill them! They could recover from it, and it might not be as bad as they think! It's so in-humaine.

That sounds like you're contradicting yourself. If humans are greatly suffering, then no, it's inhumane, but animals, yes?

I agree.
People: That's downright wrong and inhumane. Like if they have some sort of disease, then still don't kill them! They could recover from it, and it might not be as bad as they think! It's so inhumane.

Please refer to the bolded words. Yes, you may be right if the disease was curable but that was slightly different from what I intended. I meant: if a patient with-say with cancer-was beyond hope and could not be saved despite various surgeries and chemotherapy, then could we use euthanasia to end their life? The question I wanted to address was: would you rather suffer from cancer and be in excruciating pain or choose to die by euthanasia? True, nobody wants to die. But nobody wants to suffer either. Would euthanasia be used to relieve a person of their pain and let them rest in peace or would you view the practice as murder? That was what I intended.

I disagree with it. I have personal experiences. In January 2008, my dog was greatly ill. The doctor diagnosed him with a pancreas infection. It was wrong. We kept feeding him the pills but his condition just got worse. He stopped eating and even moving at all. He dropped from 30 pounds to 20 pounds. My parents wanted to put him down, I said no. I didn't want to lose my dog. So we switched vets, and they took bloodtests and such. The next day, he had to get sent to the emergency hospital. They then diagnosed him with addison's disease, an extremely rare disease that can appear in any living bring. Now he takes daily pills and he's fine.

I disagree with humans.

But with animals, I suppose that could be okay.

Isn't that similar to doctor assisted suicide?

The way I see it, if a person has an illness or disease that will for sure eventually kill them, if they choose so, they should be allowed to end their life prematurely and painlessly.

With that said, I know nothing of euthanasia. If it's just like, "Oh you're gonna die anyway, you can die now" against someone's wishes, that's just cruel and I'm against it.

I personally think premature death is a choice(yes, I realize suicide is technically illegal) and people should have the right to choose when they die, especially if they're suffering from something that in the end is going to kill them or cause them a lot of pain.

The best way I can think to say this, is I don't believe anyone should have to suffer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree with it. Humans could always recover from any diseases they have and should never give up. Animals, I don't fully agree with it. If humans can recuperate, why can't animals?

It's weird, I saw this word in a book I was reading yesterday, but I had no idea what it meant.

Question: Why would it be okay to put animals to sleep and not people? We all have lives, so do animals.

In a nutshell, I'm against it unless (A) it was decided by the person in pain or ( B) the person is in immense pain and very near death. My wording is awful, I know. But I think you got the gist of things.

Well.

I think if it's okay for us to put down animals to prevent further suffering as their condition is incurable and is going to result in a death soon, then humans should have that option too.

I think under the right circumstances it should be allowed.

I'd rather be put to sleep than suffer for the rest of my life in pain.

You wouldn't just be like "I feel like crap, kill me" You'd have to prove you weren't going to live much longer because of *Medical reason* and you wished to end your life in a kind way instead of dying slow and painfully.

Therefore I am for it under the right circumstances.

If someone has an illness that is only going to get worse and eventually kill them, then I think they should have a choice whether they want to end their life early. But it should never be done against their will.

OH EM GEE. They euthanised Shawn Johnson, olympic gymnast, just because she broke her leg and wouldnt be able to do gymnastics anymore.

Nevermind, that a fake news network xD

Animals? Yes.

People? It depends. Let me explain. If the person is still able to make decisions, they should choose. If they are in a lot of pain and want to die, then they should be able to make that choice. Same for the reverse. If they are in an irreversable coma, (and wont EVER wake up) their family should make the decision. Ifit is done without consult of the person or family, then it is murder.

~Sydney

If the person was old, and in a great deal of pain, and had thought about it very carefully - then I believe they should be allowed to die prematurely.

This is a bit off topic, but, saying that, I do NOT believe in suicide. To me, euthanasia and suicide are two very different things.

Animals? I'm not sure. Because, of course, the animal can't tell us whether they want to die, or if they're in a great deal of pain. Know what I mean?

Young humans? With their whole lives out in front of them? (sorry, that was put wrong. but you know what I mean, right?) They're young. They could recover. There are such things as miracles (in my opinion). I'm a bit unsure about young children, - newborns, say - because they could die anyway. But if they were put to death, and someone realises that they could have saved him/her - well, you get my drift.

So basically, I think if it's an old person, and are sure they're ready to die, then euthanasia could be used. I'm not saying you should - because personally, I believe in living your life until it's your time to die, whether of a diesease or old age or something.

Animals, children and fairly young adults are questionable though. To me.

I think if a person is so incurably ill or has a disease such as Alzheimer's that it should be an option, as long as it is agreed to while thae person is of sound mind. My dad had Alzheimer's, and it was heartbreaking to watch his decline. He became violent, had hallucinations, and lost control of bodily functions. I think a person would rather go out with dignity instead of wasting away in a nursing home. I know I would. As far as animals, yes. My Thoroughbred stallion was put down at 34 years of age two years ago due to impaction colic. There was nothing the vet could do, since the horse had rolled in pain and twisted his stomach. When he was put down, it only took him 45 seconds to pass away after the anesthesia first put him to sleep. It was a very peaceful death. I sat on the ground, and held his head in my lap till the vet said he was gone. I was his owner ever since he was 7 months old, so it was just like he was my son. I can only hope that when my time comes, I go as peacefully.[/color]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back