Fake Tamagotchis Are All over the Internet

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a long time since I have been on this website - it's sad to see that bootleg Tamas are *still* a problem. I realize that knockoffs existed in the 90's as well but there were also some well made competitors as well. I want my Gigas and Nanos back.  <_< Anyway, I found some interesting bootlegs while searching for a Connection. Tamatalk's not letting me post the images, so here's the links to the listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamaguchi-Connection-Version5-Very-rare-Hand-held-electronic-Toys-1990s-toys/352626650349?hash=item521a2faced:g:NpMAAOSwHF5cmPFA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMAGOTCHI-CONNECTION-BL-Z002-NEW-2005-RARE/132965166825?hash=item1ef5576ee9:g:Z28AAOSw6DNcctEQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!43081!US!-1

They're getting trickier. From a distance the first one actually looks like a legit Tama - it was only until I clicked on it when I realized it was bootleg. The second's box vaguely looks like the packaging for the European releases of the earlier Connections.

It's been a long time since I have been on this website - it's sad to see that bootleg Tamas are *still* a problem. I realize that knockoffs existed in the 90's as well but there were also some well made competitors as well. I want my Gigas and Nanos back.  <_< Anyway, I found some interesting bootlegs while searching for a Connection. Tamatalk's not letting me post the images, so here's the links to the listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamaguchi-Connection-Version5-Very-rare-Hand-held-electronic-Toys-1990s-toys/352626650349?hash=item521a2faced:g:NpMAAOSwHF5cmPFA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMAGOTCHI-CONNECTION-BL-Z002-NEW-2005-RARE/132965166825?hash=item1ef5576ee9:g:Z28AAOSw6DNcctEQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!43081!US!-1

They're getting trickier. From a distance the first one actually looks like a legit Tama - it was only until I clicked on it when I realized it was bootleg. The second's box vaguely looks like the packaging for the European releases of the earlier Connections.
I’ve Seen the Tamaguchi One Before, And I saw a Green one buy the same seller for £15, with No Shipping Fees. I went upstairs to show my Dad, Looking at The Logo ONCE AGAIN, That’s when it Hit Me.

Its not just that, but Popular And Well-Known Brands in the UK are taking in Fakes as well. My Local Poundland has a Whole row of fakes, and some Giga Pet Knockoffs. And in Hobbycraft, You can find some Monster-Shapped Ones. The Popular Toy Shop Smyths has gotten rid of the 20th Anniversaries and Replaced them with Fakes for £3. It’s really Depressing to see our Favourite toys drown in Fake-Cheaply Made Ones 😔

Wow, I didn't even notice "Tamaguchi" until you pointed it out. I wonder why some bootlegs intentionally misspell the product's name? It's probably because of copyright, but it also feels like a dead give away that it's fake... 🤔

I haven't seen any bootlegs in shops yet. I have heard stories of people claiming to find bootleg Tamas at gas stations (of all places) and dollar stores. It seems to be more of an online problem at this time. I think it would be bad news for Bandai and a lot of fans if the bootlegs became just as common outside of the internet. :(

Ok, I must admit, I had a good chuckle at "Tamaguchi". :lol:

Its not just that, but Popular And Well-Known Brands in the UK are taking in Fakes as well. My Local Poundland has a Whole row of fakes, and some Giga Pet Knockoffs. And in Hobbycraft, You can find some Monster-Shapped Ones. The Popular Toy Shop Smyths has gotten rid of the 20th Anniversaries and Replaced them with Fakes for £3. It’s really Depressing to see our Favourite toys drown in Fake-Cheaply Made Ones 😔
Citation needed, please. ;)

Poundland, Hobbycraft, and Smyths are not selling fakes, as far as I know. They certainly carry generic virtual pets that usually use the same programming as some counterfeits found online, but those are not fakes, and I've never heard of or seen these stores selling fake goods - they are legitimate stores with legitimate suppliers and legitimate reputations, and they would face repercussions from the manufacturers and very likely the public if they were selling counterfeit goods in their stores.

I haven't seen any bootlegs in shops yet. I have heard stories of people claiming to find bootleg Tamas at gas stations (of all places) and dollar stores. It seems to be more of an online problem at this time. I think it would be bad news for Bandai and a lot of fans if the bootlegs became just as common outside of the internet. :(
Part of the problem with these sorts of stories and claims is that a lot of people confuse "generic cheap item" with "fake", even though the former isn't trying to fool people into believing that it's legitimate like the latter is - it's even peppered throughout this very thread. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Poundland, Hobbycraft, and Smyths are not selling fakes, as far as I know. They certainly carry generic virtual pets that usually use the same programming as some counterfeits found online, but those are not fakes, and I've never heard of or seen these stores selling fake goods - they are legitimate stores with legitimate suppliers and legitimate reputations, and they would face repercussions from the manufacturers and very likely the public if they were selling counterfeit goods in their stores.

Part of the problem with these sorts of stories and claims is that a lot of people confuse "generic cheap item" with "fake", even though the former isn't trying to fool people into believing that it's legitimate as the latter is - it's even peppered throughout this very thread. :p
It's not too far off to assume a dollar store would be selling knock off items. I've noticed every time I have been in one there are fake Hasbro-based/inspired toys there. None of them look good. Isn't this brand of bootleg Tamas known for stealing sprites? If they are truly being sold at big name stores there could even be legal problems.

IMO, they're still a fake. A lot of them use Tamagotchi branding or its marketing style to convince purchasers they're getting the real deal.

Part of the problem with these sorts of stories and claims is that a lot of people confuse "generic cheap item" with "fake", even though the former isn't trying to fool people into believing that it's legitimate like the latter is - it's even peppered throughout this very thread. :p
At My Local Poundland, in the front row they have your Typical Fakes, with Tamagotchi on the Packaging. I admit, Smyths are selling those Giga pets Knockoffs, Well it’s the name but you know. And I made a Mistake, it’s the Works that I want, not Hobby Craft😅 Sorry xx

It's not too far off to assume a dollar store would be selling knock off items
Poundland carries items from legitimate distributors, including major name-brand overstocks - that's their gig. They're a major chain. They sell some weird or cheaply-made stuff sometimes, but they're not a commercial counterfeiting operation.

They've been carrying generic virtual pets sourced from companies like PMS International and Keycraft Global for a couple of years, now.

IMO, they're still a fake. A lot of them use Tamagotchi branding or its marketing style to convince purchasers they're getting the real deal. 
If people think that things like these are trying to fool them into thinking that it's a Tamagotchi or another brand-name virtual pet, then I'm afraid that there's no helping them (these were both sold by the UK chains being named here within the last two years, they're my own photos);

v01igG2.jpg

rQewAR5.jpg

These are just generic items, after all.

Moreover, there comes a point where the way that certain product-categories are marketed becomes scenes-a-faire - such as how any detergent commercial will feature someone exclaiming about how dirty the clothes are, followed by a similar exclamation about how clean the product has made them, and everyone expects to see this.

At My Local Poundland, in the front row they have your Typical Fakes, with Tamagotchi on the Packaging. I admit, Smyths are selling those Giga pets Knockoffs, Well it’s the name but you know. And I made a Mistake, it’s the Works that I want, not Hobby Craft😅 Sorry xx
I'm really interested in hearing more about these, mainly because fakes occasionally have interesting pre-existing generic software on-board due to it just being shoved into counterfeit cases in order to save on costs.

The Works isn't listing them on their website (which is very rare for them), Poundland has only ever carried generics so far, and I wasn't even aware that Giga Pets knock-offs existed, since the present-day Giga Pets re-release isn't very well-known and is so limited in release that I can't imagine that it would have enough brand-recognition to make counterfeiting them worthwhile. Not to mention that Smyths Toys probably wouldn't want to burn their bridges with the legitimate manufacturer of those, considering how many exclusives they get (for non-Brits, Smyths is basically the UK & Ireland equivalent to Toys 'R' Us, just to give an idea of their reputation and buying-power).

Poundland carries items from legitimate distributors, including major name-brand overstocks - that's their gig. They're a major chain. They sell some weird or cheaply-made stuff sometimes, but they're not a commercial counterfeiting operation.

They've been carrying generic virtual pets sourced from companies like PMS International and Keycraft Global for a couple of years, now.

If people think that things like these are trying to fool them into thinking that it's a Tamagotchi or another brand-name virtual pet, then I'm afraid that there's no helping them (these were both sold by the UK chains being named here within the last two years, they're my own photos);

v01igG2.jpg

rQewAR5.jpg

By any chance are you familiar with a youtube channel called Ashens? He reviews a lot of strange items from Poundland. Perhaps his videos are coloring my perception of the store, but he always seems to find strange/bootleg items there.

This is showing how much I shop for Tama stuff online - I've seen these before, but always listed under "Tamagotchi". (Ebay sellers do this a lot) I didn't know before this that these were actually known as Cyber Pets. I guess the real villains here are the vendors?

Moreover, there comes a point where the way that certain product-categories are marketed becomes scenes-a-faire - such as how any detergent commercial will feature someone exclaiming about how dirty the clothes are, followed by a similar exclamation about how clean the product has made them, and everyone expects to see this.

I'm really interested in hearing more about these, mainly because fakes occasionally have interesting pre-existing generic software on-board due to it just being shoved into counterfeit cases in order to save on costs.

The Works isn't listing them on their website (which is very rare for them), Poundland has only ever carried generics so far, and I wasn't even aware that Giga Pets knock-offs existed, since the present-day Giga Pets re-release isn't very well-known and is so limited in release that I can't imagine that it would have enough brand-recognition to make counterfeiting them worthwhile. Not to mention that Smyths Toys probably wouldn't want to burn their bridges with the legitimate manufacturer of those, considering how many exclusives they get (for non-Brits, Smyths is basically the UK & Ireland equivalent to Toys 'R' Us, just to give an idea of their reputation and buying-power).
Well, those Giga pet Knockoffs are very similar, it’s really just the name. The font was different, and the whole packaging just looked cheaper and worse. I didn’t have a camera, and I can’t find any pictures surprisingly (Also, I’m not a very big fan of Gigapets.) Because you’d think they would be on the website.

Smyths, well it’s quite sad for all UK Tamagotchi fans. They completely got rid of any trace of them (Apart from Fakes) and they don’t even have the slightly more expensive P1/2s. I and other people have seen some Lego Competitors. For example, they do the exact same thing with Barbies and Playdough. They have the real item on one side, and some foreign company doing a copy, like the TamagUcci.

By any chance are you familiar with a youtube channel called Ashens? He reviews a lot of strange items from Poundland. Perhaps his videos are coloring my perception of the store, but he always seems to find strange/bootleg items there.
I have seen a number of his videos, yes! Funnily enough, in some of his earlier Poundland videos, he actually jokes about how he's probably giving foreigners the wrong impression of Poundland, and in one he actually makes a point of saying that most of their stuff is good. :lol: He certainly picks some very choice tat to show, but that's why it's funny.

This is showing how much I shop for Tama stuff online - I've seen these before, but always listed under "Tamagotchi". (Ebay sellers do this a lot)
The reasons that they're doing this most likely depend on where they're from - some people just use the word "Tamagotchi" to mean "virtual pet", after all.

I didn't know before this that these were actually known as Cyber Pets. I guess the real villains here are the vendors?
Part of the problem is people using brand-names as a generic term, for sure. There are definitely those who are using it to deceive (and they seem to be the majority, since it's usually associated with the notorious 4-button "Tamagotchi Connection" counterfeits), but in the case of well-meaning people who just bought a box of these generically-shaped, generically-packaged things from a distributor to sell on, they're just genericising proper nouns.

Well, those Giga pet Knockoffs are very similar, it’s really just the name. The font was different, and the whole packaging just looked cheaper and worse. I didn’t have a camera, and I can’t find any pictures surprisingly (Also, I’m not a very big fan of Gigapets.) Because you’d think they would be on the website.
I was never a big fan of Giga Pets either - the originals weren't very fun to run, because they were rushed out by a company who had been caught off-guard by a foreign craze that they clearly didn't quite get.

Anyway, that's a pity - I'll keep an eye out! Thanks for the information. :D

Smyths, well it’s quite sad for all UK Tamagotchi fans. They completely got rid of any trace of them (Apart from Fakes) and they don’t even have the slightly more expensive P1/2s.
That's because The Entertainer had exclusivity on those. ;) (Though all that they have left now are the 20th Anniversary Minis.)

I and other people have seen some Lego Competitors. For example, they do the exact same thing with Barbies and Playdough. They have the real item on one side, and some foreign company doing a copy, like the TamagUcci.
That's not quite the same thing. The "Tamaguchi" is a counterfeit, through and through - it's deliberately trying to fool people. Cheaper off-brand items that aren't trying to fool anybody but which are being sold in the vicinity of a brand-name item are not fakes or trying to fool anyone. That's just competition and catering to different segments of the market. ;)

Nobody's going to confuse Oxford Blocks for Lego (in fact, they're quite famous for their high quality as a competitor), and if they do then their reading comprehension surely needs some work. :p

i wanna buy some
Fakes? No, you don’t. Depending on the type, you’ll get bored in a click of a finger. The “ Bunny ROM “ ( That I learned from Penguin Keeper- Thank You :)  ) is just a waste of time. No evolution, Same games and routine all the time. There’s no adventure- they don’t even die or run away.

Theres no challenge in this- for example a child could buy one and go to school and not worry about there virtual pet at home because nothing will happen. Personally, that’s one of the main key points I liked about leaving my Tamagotchi alone at home while I was at school. It gave me something to look forward to and anticipate, I truly found it fascinating.              Now, I’m not saying there horrible ( although, it’s not exactly an uncommon opinion at first sight ) but it’s really not worth paying say for example £5. Personally, that’s my opinion.

i wanna buy some
I've gotta agree with KidRetro64, here...

Fakes? No, you don’t. Depending on the type, you’ll get bored in a click of a finger. The “ Bunny ROM “ ( That I learned from Penguin Keeper- Thank You :)  ) is just a waste of time.
... And also echo that you really don't. :lol:

No evolution, Same games and routine all the time.
To be fair, the games are actually pretty good, at least! I like them more than the ones on, say, the Tamagotchi Connexion V2 and V4.

And there is an item that you can obtain that will transform your chosen pet into something else, but as far as I know there's no way to change them back. :p It's definitely not the same thing as evolution, though - not by a long shot.

There’s no adventure- they don’t even die or run away.
They also don't sleep or tell the time, and nor are the sprites even animated - after being born from a violent and fiery explosion (complete with an awesome sound-effect), they just slide back and forth across the screen, doing a whole lot of nothing.

The main thing that they do is poop. A lot. The "Bunny ROM" virtual pets generate an absolutely ungodly amount of poop.

Theres no challenge in this- for example a child could buy one and go to school and not worry about there virtual pet at home because nothing will happen.
Yep - the only "danger" that these virtual pets face is their batteries running out!

Personally, that’s one of the main key points I liked about leaving my Tamagotchi alone at home while I was at school. It gave me something to look forward to and anticipate, I truly found it fascinating.
Unlike a Tamagotchi, the 168 in 1 software is less of a virtual pet simulation, and more of a simulation of a virtual pet. ;)

Now, I’m not saying there horrible ( although, it’s not exactly an uncommon opinion at first sight ) but it’s really not worth paying say for example £5. Personally, that’s my opinion.
If you can get one from a place like Poundland, I think that a case can be made that a £1 generic "Bunny ROM" device is a decent-enough introduction to the concept of virtual pets, without the commitment of buying a much more expensive product (even a Tamagotchi Mini costs ten times more, after all). Then, if a kid likes the idea they can move on and get something more involved afterwards. They're definitely not a substitute for a Tamagotchi, Giga Pet, or what-have-you, though.

I would also add that if you're an experienced virtual pet enthusiast or collector, then you might find them to be an interesting little curiousity to have in your collection (that's why I picked up mine), but otherwise they're really not worthwhile - you'd get further by watching an animated GIF of a virtual pet.

Fakes? No, you don’t. Depending on the type, you’ll get bored in a click of a finger. The “ Bunny ROM “ ( That I learned from Penguin Keeper- Thank You :)  ) is just a waste of time. No evolution, Same games and routine all the time. There’s no adventure- they don’t even die or run away.

Theres no challenge in this- for example a child could buy one and go to school and not worry about there virtual pet at home because nothing will happen. Personally, that’s one of the main key points I liked about leaving my Tamagotchi alone at home while I was at school. It gave me something to look forward to and anticipate, I truly found it fascinating.              Now, I’m not saying there horrible ( although, it’s not exactly an uncommon opinion at first sight ) but it’s really not worth paying say for example £5. Personally, that’s my opinion.
ok

I own a fake and I don't think their quality is bad, but it could be better.

It takes awhile to ask for care, and I think it's boring. But that's just my point of view.

Anyways it could be even better if they removed the reset button and make them less sensitive to impact.

i wanna buy some
IMO when it comes to collecting fakes, it can be rewarding but you have to be prepared to be disappointed. Some can be actually kind of good (see: M&D’s vpets) while most are more basic than 90’s virtual pets. Still, if you’re really curious most are cheap enough to try out of curiosity. 

Some of my favourite pets growing up were not tamagotchi. I really loved the bat virtual pet (can't remember the name), anything dinkie (Dino, Penguin), and Nano pets were great. But there were some that were atrocious: octopets comes to mind here. I've always wanted to find an elepet, because they look like incredible tamagotchi knockoffs: https://www.tamenagerie.com/odd7.html. I think as someone said above, there is a space for the higher quality competition in the VP market. However, especially now, with the dramatic increase in price for the Tamagotchi On, the lower cost ones are appealing to parents who may not necessarily be able to afford such expensive toys for their children. Additionally, since these are technically geared towards kids, losing a $5 virtual pet is a lot better than losing a $60 one!

Some of my favourite pets growing up were not tamagotchi. I really loved the bat virtual pet (can't remember the name), anything dinkie (Dino, Penguin), and Nano pets were great.
Same here, though it's important to be clear that a similar product is not necessarily a fake - Pepsi Cola is not a fake of Coca-Cola, for example, it's just a competing product. :p

I'm a big fan of the Dinkie pets and the Nano Pals line, too, incidentally, along with the Super Gyaoppi 9 in 1. :D

However, especially now, with the dramatic increase in price for the Tamagotchi On, the lower cost ones are appealing to parents who may not necessarily be able to afford such expensive toys for their children. Additionally, since these are technically geared towards kids, losing a $5 virtual pet is a lot better than losing a $60 one!
This is a very good point, and is why, ideally, we would have a tiered offering from the Tamagotchi line. I get the feeling that that's not going to happen, though, as much as I'd love to be wrong about that.

Never meant to infer that those were fakes - I omitted that word as it seemed was already stressed above. I was more replying to the person about the poundland pets being inferior to tamagotchi. I'm not great with fora and direct quoting. It's a bit of a faff. 

I really wish they would come out with multiple tiered pets as well. I'd love to be able to buy all 4 Tamagotchi On's coming out, but my husband would murder me if I did lol. 

Latest posts

Back