Free Speech

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Matchmaker

Reaction score
I lived in the USA my whole life, so I'm so used to free speech everywhere. but I know in a lot of other countries, they don't have that, so what is it that you can't say? And is it really hard to get caught for things like that, or what would happen to you if you broke that law?

In some countries, you can't say anything that opposes the country. Like if the country is Christian, you will be punished for being anything else. As for consequences, I don't really know...

Adding on to what rawry said, it's also like if you say something bad against the government. They can jail you if you say or act against the government. I imagine getting caught could be easy or difficult depending on where you say certain things and who you say them to. You can never be quite sure who might turn against you, no matter how close they may be.

I know in England they have(or had) a kind of soap box where you can say anything you please and not get in trouble for it. My grandma told me about it, but she hasn't been there since at least the 50's, so it could be gone by now. As I've never been to England myself, I honestly can't tell you if it is or not.

I live in America, so I'm not 100% the consequences of speaking freely in other countries are, but I imagine it's similar to if a soldier in the US were to talk badly about a branch of the military and/or war. They can get in serious trouble for that, as it's considered in a way betraying your country.

Eh, here it's mainly a free country :)

People just don't like it when you swear. The people are overall quite friendly, yet there are exceptions. Just don't go putting up the rude finger and saying the f word... then you should be fine 8D

We're currently discussing the French Revolution in my history class, and if you even said something small as, "I wish we still had a monarchy," they would send you to the guillotine and off with your head. O_O They viewed it as opposition to the government, and you threatening them.

As for currently, I'm not exactly sure the punishments. I'm from the US as well, and I imagine that in some third world countries, physical torture can still be a punishment for treason. However, in more civilized countries that don't have the freedom of speech, I would imagine that you would get thrown in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back