GCSE and Exam Results.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordboss

Reaction score
So I'll start of by saying, that I basically haven't ever cared about school. I always thought it was a waste of time, and that I'd learn more if I was learning in English, rather than my first language, Welsh. Around year 11, or towards the end of year 10, I realised that I'm never gunna be able to do anything if I don't start trying. So I actually started to apply myself to school.

I applied for college in England because my friends had been there before, and I check it out and it appeared as though its got a nicer environment than the college nearest to me in Wales. I applied for the course that I want to do, and they said okay, so I'm allowed to do the course.

I'm currently awaiting the results from my GCSE's and I've been told that I might not be able to study the course I want, because I learnt my GCSE's in Welsh, even though we were told that they can be used in any country. The college want me to do an access course for a few months, to prove that I can understand the language and have English knowledge, and then apply for the course next year.

What the hell? How can they say that my GCSE'S don't count? It's like they're saying that if I move to England, they're invalid because I learnt them in Welsh. Its just not fair (**not fair in my own opinion**) that I should do a course first before I can do the course I actually want to study.

By the way: GCSE's are the qualification you receive after finishing school in the UK. You finish compulsory school at 16. It's then your choice if you return to education. (Except if you live in England where the laws 18 to finish school).

Edit: **Not fair in my own opinion as stated by TamaMum**

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to get past being angry about what seems "fair" or "not fair" to you.

You say you want to study at this college and that you have been offered a place - so that's great right?

You got the college / course you wanted.

But any offer of a place is based on the rules, terms and conditions that the college decides - not what you decide (nor what the government of a neighbouring country decides).

Perhaps the college gets several applications every year from Welsh (and other European language) speakers and have learned from experience that it is in their best interest and the students' best interests to check you can handle the course work before you start your studies.

This avoids students complaining later that they "weren't taught this" or "this wasn't covered" in their previous courses.

In fact you can use the Welsh GCSE qualifications you've studied in the UK - the college has proved this by offering you a place based on the info you supplied in your application.

(You did make it clear in your application form that you were studying your GCSEs in the Welsh language, right?)

It is totally reasonable for any responsible place of education to ask a foreign language student to do an access course to ensure that they can learn their chosen subject in English.

If you genuinely want to study at this English college then why not contact them (by telephone - in English) and ask for an interview (face to face or telephone)?

If you explain that you want to discuss their requirement for an access course for someone who is obviously bilingual in English and Welsh perhaps they will be able to set up a discussion where you can ask them to waive the requirement in your case.

If the college did not forewarn you that (as a Welsh speaking GCSE student, with Welsh language qualifications) your offer was conditional on the access course and that you would have to defer your education for a year, this might make a stronger argument for waiving the requirement.

It could be a situation that has never come up for them before.

If the people in the admissions department are not authorised to talk with you about it, ask for the name(s) of senior members of the faculty with whom you can have a polite, fluent (English) discussion about the situation.

In the end, what it comes down to is how much you want to study at this college.

If you want to study in England and they college will only offer you a place on condition of the access course, there is no point in raging about it or complaining about what is fair or not fair.

You just have to decide if you want to study in England or prefer to study in Wales.

I understand that. But why should I get treated as a foreign citizen when I'm just as British and an English person.

I can obviously speak English, and was brought up speaking English, and eventually Welsh. I feel confident speak English, but I just don't agree why I should have to do am access course, even though I'm British and clearly speak the language of the UK.

I understand that. But why should I get treated as a foreign citizen when I'm just as British and an English person.

I can obviously speak English, and was brought up speaking English, and eventually Welsh. I feel confident speak English, but I just don't agree why I should have to do am access course, even though I'm British and clearly speak the language of the UK.
But you aren't being treated as a foreign citizen.

You are being treated as a student who has previously been educated in a language other than English who is now applying to them to study subjects taught in the English language.

It's irrelevant really whether you agree with it or not or if you feel that your English is good enough because it is not your decision to make.

It's not personal and it's not intended to make things awkward or annoying for you.

The college is an English education establishment and it requires that any of it's students who studied subjects in a language other than English should attend an access course before they commence their studies. The Access Course is the means that the college has decided to use as a qualifier for any student who studied subjects in a different language.

The fact is that if you want to go to this college in England and be taught in English, you can choose to either take the access course or ask for a special case to be made for you as an exception to this rule, explaining exactly why you should not have to take the course (even though your qualifications to attend the college were taken in a language other than English.)

It might not be that difficult. Why not just contact the college and explain the situation?

Maybe they have this rule for students - British or Foreign - because they have no knowledge of an individuals ability to speak and interact in the English language.

I know it sounds odd, but they can't take the chance and just assume that every student who has subject qualifications in a foreign language is also completely fluent in English.

I understand. Good news though, I received a letter regarding my enrolment, and I've been accepted onto the original course I wanted to do. I also rang them and they stated that because my qualifications are GCSE's that I studied in the UK, and that I can speak English, as does most other Welsh speakers, I don't have to do the access course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back