Help me find this virtual pet

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangakami

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to ask for help to identify a virtual pet that I had as a child. A bit of context, I live in Chile and during the year 99 or 2000 the fever of the tamagotchi arrived and I asked to be given one. They bought me a blue one, which on the blister had a drawing of a chicken, and I think the mascot itself was a hen. The most distinctive thing is that it was a clamshell type, and I would swear that the screen and buttons were separated. I am attaching a drawing of how I remember it to be, although the truth is that I did not trust my memory much. Finally it broke when a cable came loose, which I understand connected the screen, but at that time I had no idea about electronics so I was never able to repair it. I would like to at least have a picture of that pet.

Attachments

• Sin-título-2.png
    Sin-título-2.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Shells can vary a lot in between bootleg versions of virtual pets. So trying to find a virtual pet based on how it looks is very, very difficult and can even be misleading: some identical shells may have totally different programmings!

Can you remember anything spesific from the actual gameplay? Was it a single virtual pet or multi pet? How were feeding, playing, cleaning, sleep, growth functions? If you can remember more details it may be easier to find out.

You're right, but I don't remember many details. I don't know if it was a multi pet, but I remember playing with only one. she had the typical functions of a tamagotchi, but I think he could turn off the light at any time. I also remember that one game had playing cards, hearts, diamonds, etc. but I don't remember what it was exactly. so I think if you saw some pictures, you might be able to remember which one it is.

check out the gameplay for the gyaoppi chicken. it has a card game.

Card game, and being able to turn off lights at any time are very good hints!
Based on this, I believe it is either gyaoppi chicken, or their shortened clones, tamakachi chickens: tamakachi chicken program is very much like gyaoppi, with one minus: the weather event (sun, rain, equipping hats/umbrellas) are unique to gyaoppi based programs. Tamakachis do not have weather function, but often there is a 'mood' function which shows the hapiness meter of the pet as a seperate function. There are many variants based on these.

Chuppi shared above is the original gyaoppi chicken. Has weather event.
There is smart chick, a tamakachi chicken. Shown here in this video

Chick duck is a very similiar, too. There is also birdwatching gyaoppi chicken, but it is gyaoppi 1 programming: you can turn off the lights but the pet does not go to sleep! It goes to sleep in its own schedule, based on actual clock. Gaaa hippie is also very similiar.

Oh, here in this page there is pet shaped like you described, at the bottom of the page, with all bird/chicken vpets:

http://www.tamenagerie.com/odd18.html
birds.jpg

kookoo chicken? unfourtunately googling it does not help, but you can find all these other programmings relatively easily. They are pretty much same with some minor differences.

If you are into gyaoppi based programs, super gyaoppi 9in1 is very easy to find on ebay, and it has the chicken in it plus 8 other animals. It is overall the best and easiest to purchase today of all these gyaoppi based programmings. Here I played with the duck:

https://www.tamatalk.com/threads/super-gyaoppi-duck-log-comments-ok.201363/

Last edited:
The programming shown in the videos brings back memories, surely it was one of those. and looking for kookoo virtual pet, i found some images of the toy.
kookoo.jpgjpanda.jpgkookoo1.jpg
I would have liked to find a video of the clamshell, since it is what I remember the most about this pet

Glad we are getting close at least.

Bootleggers of that era were amazing, they made so many different shells based on what program was popular at the time. I remember having a clam shell of super gyaoppi 9in1 with a very realistic, high quality t-rex dinosaur relief like engraving on the shell door. It is impossible to find on the internet, I guess it may be a local bootleg in my country.

And just last week I found my coveted 24in1 programming in a pikachu (of all things!) shell in Thailand, whereas the programming has nothing to do with pokemon whatsoever! I guess pokemon was just gaining popularity at the time.

There are a lot of bootleg dinkie dino shells (often misspelled as dinkie dinoa or something) their shells look identical at first (with subtle differences if you know how to look for them) but they have a lot of different programmings, I saw my coveted 24in1, a totally inferior and awful version of it with 49in1, I also saw 26in1 and 69in1 s too. So finding a vpet you look for based on shell is very luck depended.

I'm so happy I found this thread! I was looking for the exact same vpet as mangakami, and his clamshell drawing turned up on google images and led me here. It was definitely a Kookoo, IIRC the name was even printed on the back of the shell, and it had a decal of that same rooster graphic that's on the packaging.
What's interesting is that I'm in the US, so I can confirm this pet wasn't localized to just Chile. I have no idea what retailer might've had it. My brother found one on the ground one day and brought it home, and we never saw another one for sale, so it always had an air of mystery around it! I'm happy to see it's been documented online and wasn't just something my child brain made up.

Latest posts

Back